Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2010, 10:40 AM

How to measure your dogs IQ using problem solving

Watching pet nation at the moment - there's a lady from Dogs trust who is showing the tv viewers and audience how to test a dog's IQ.

So there is:

- Put a treat under a towel and see how fast your dog finds it. (Terriers are more likely to excel at this)

- Get a barrier - with a gap in it and see if your dog goes through the gap or around (the gap should be too small for your dog to get through) Collies should excel at this.

- Place a towel over your dogs head and shoulders and time how quick he manages to get out (testing survival instinct of a dog)

Just thought I'd share
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-11-2010, 05:15 PM
i think my dog would eat towel and treat, plough straight through barrier, and the towel over the head is an old bath time game
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by scottyvdub View Post
i think my dog would eat towel and treat, plough straight through barrier, and the towel over the head is an old bath time game
Well yeaah but it was a Lady from Dogs Trust that said them all and she only ahd a Cairn and a Collie with her - so it would be interesting to see/hear how other breeds did
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Did them a while back and Celt struggled at all of them and failed a short term memory test totally.

He has got some bit missing in his brain make up I know but it was interesting to have it confirmed even in an amateur sort of way!

The others at training were quick.

He is a BC. Sometimes when we are out he forgets that we are playing!

Special needs he is!

rune
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Different dogs & breeds are clever at different things, collies arent great problem solvers
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Different dogs & breeds are clever at different things, collies arent great problem solvers
They do usually remember where a treat is in a room after they have watched you put it down though!

The others all managed fine, 4 collies and I think a poodle.

I agree about collies though---Etta is SO much quicker even than Rune who was 'normal' for a collie!

I think your comment about the more you do is very relevant as well Etta has been brought up with the interactive puzzles etc and a lot of free shaping and she gets into problem solving mode quickly.

rune
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Probaley, Mine are just like "Show me Show me show me", i do a little free shaping, but i dont really like it for obedience stuff as its hard to put it right if it goes alittle wrong, but good for fun stuff

I tried to clicker Zolas Retrieve, Complete diaster!!!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Probaley, Mine are just like "Show me Show me show me", i do a little free shaping, but i dont really like it for obedience stuff as its hard to put it right if it goes alittle wrong, but good for fun stuff

I tried to clicker Zolas Retrieve, Complete diaster!!!!
It takes ages for me to clicker a retrieve, I have done it with Celt and Etta and it has worked well although Etta has recently taken to moving it to get it comfy and she pounces sometimes----but I haven't tried to stop that cause its cute and I am not doing obedience---I only need it for multisports and I might get away with it. I am working on throwing it behind at the moment as that is a part of the next level.

How do you teach it?

rune
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:52 AM
I tried clicker retrieve last night with Louie - he ran to the ball, then thought hang on she has food! and ran back to me, then the second time he picked up the ball brought it half way then dropped it and sat for a treat - grrrrrrrrr - I gave up after that, it was that video that Sue Currie posted - I want my dogs to be like them!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It takes ages for me to clicker a retrieve, I have done it with Celt and Etta and it has worked well although Etta has recently taken to moving it to get it comfy and she pounces sometimes----but I haven't tried to stop that cause its cute and I am not doing obedience---I only need it for multisports and I might get away with it. I am working on throwing it behind at the moment as that is a part of the next level.

How do you teach it?

rune
I think my prob is i find clicking it too slow.

First i teach a static hold , then progress to a static hold in the present

Then i teach a Hold & & reach at heel, gradually working forward & downwards
At the same time i start leaping around with it & getting them to try to hold it

I then teach ,in present, that one hand on means , you keep hold of it & two hands on means leave

Then i do hold/tight hold/leave when im leaping around!

Then i start putting it on the floor & putting my leg out , instead of my arm

& at the same time, do novice recalls holding the dumbell.

Then i will do a novice recall with dumbell in middle to pick up on the way.

Then start to throw (hold the collar instead of the "wait" fora while)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >