Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Went to college yesterday wth Luke

We filled in his application for him to join the college in september and had a really good chat with hopefully what will be his tutor for two yrs while there.

It's a course aimed at these students with learning difficulties,they do accessments to see what level there at and also go away on a residential visit and do team building exercises,it sounds like great fun.

He will be doing both theory and practical cooking,helping in the bistro,cooking and taking money,as well as cooking and serving for the restaurant on special occasions.
They call it a skills for work life course and he will get a recognised qualificaton at the end of it.He will also get additional support with numeracy and literacy,and there are only a small group of students around 10 of them so hopefully he will do well.
It's a four day week,monday - thursday from 9am till 4pm.

School think he will leave with a qualification in food studies and he loves the practical side of it.

He also gets an allowance not sure how much,so he will be earning a little money while working towards his qualification.
I am so pleased he has decided to go ahead with this course,I was very worried about what he was going to do,because of his special needs and he isn't ready for full time employment.
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2008, 03:17 PM
That's really wonderful. I think having some responsibility will make him feel really important and boost his confidence. Also it'll be great for him to have his own money. I really hope he enjoys it.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Brilliant news. I'm sure it will do him the world of good and great to get a qualification out of it as well. You never know, you may have a famous chef in the making there!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Well done Luke!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-04-2008, 07:26 PM
That is good news isn't it - For someone like him the practical skills are what will set him up for life, and you might find some interesting meals appearing on your diner table in future
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 07:36 PM
He really does enjoy cooking and always offers to help either me or his dad when we are cooking.
He does alot of practical stuff at school,he does young enterprise,where they make stuff and sell it on and the profit is divided between the pupils,he does taurus crafts too,land based work,growing plants etc,he enjoys it but isn't keen on working outside in winter

It will be interesting to see what he will make for us
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-04-2008, 07:40 PM
What are 'taurus crafts' ??
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
What are 'taurus crafts' ??
Here you go, http://www.tauruscrafts.co.uk/
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks Sal - I've put it on my favorites. I do a bit of craft type stuff (Mainly in wood) so am always on the lookout for new ideas!