Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Office Lurcher will retrieve all day.

Lodger will retrieve all day for my dad and a pocket of treats - otherwise it's three goes and move on - which suits me! A current favourite is chucking the ball over the fence into the radio controlled car track enclosure - he has to run around to the gate to get it.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Retrieve is the bain of my life!

Both sadie and Ripley do, but mav just does not get it...Ive been working on his retrieve for bloomin ages for obedience but he just cannot 'do' the return...I think its too much for his little brain!!
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-01-2012, 06:12 PM
marley would fetch all day and all night well till he collapsed in a over heated heap lol

cheech gets bord after 10 mins and will try are get to the ball b4 marley and will run of and hide it in bushes/ trees so marley has no choice but to play with him,

(i only play fetch with tennis balls or cheap rubber balls so i normally leave them for the local ball collection service to find)
Mollybobs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Molly retrieves three or four times then decides to carry the ball herself. We'll be half a mile down the track before I realise she has dumped the ball
Her favourite game is 'search and rescue'! Basically I have to throw the ball into long grass/bushy areas and she quite happily searches for it, brings it to me and drops it at my feet. She very enthusiastically helped
a border collie who had lost his ball last week. He searched for ages while she watched on, then sprung(!) into action and found it for him
Adds interest to a walk for her as she can't manage great distance now
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Mine basically live and breathe the retrieve (and a blind retrieve is even better fun!).
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Kestral loves her ball on rope. I do up to 5 throws then rest for a couple of minutes to keep her interest up as she's not as retrieve obsessed as some dogs. Also part the reward in the retrieve for kestral is the tuggy at the end so getting a good drop is not so easy!

We have been recently trying blind ones, she's getting better, but if it's not found within 5 mins she gets a bit bored and munches grass instead!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Mine basically live and breathe the retrieve (and a blind retrieve is even better fun!).
What's a blind retrieve?

If it's a ball, Tilly will do it all day long, if we are out with a ball, she isn't interested in any other dogs & is focused on the ball the whole time so she has one walk with ball & one without when she will mingle with other dogs
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Cain will always chase it and pick it up, but he isn't always reliable at bringing it back
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
What's a blind retrieve?

If it's a ball, Tilly will do it all day long, if we are out with a ball, she isn't interested in any other dogs & is focused on the ball the whole time so she has one walk with ball & one without when she will mingle with other dogs
Well there is the offical definition for field trials etc, where the dog has to be able to take directions, go out in a straight line and the like in order to find and retrieve an unseen object (or dropped bird).

For us ameteurs though, it's just being able to send the dog out in a general direction to then use it's nose to find it, then bring it back, so kind of a directed search and retrieve?? The dogs LOVE it!

Oh better add that the dog has no idea where the retrieval object is, it doesn't see the direction it gets thrown or anything like that. The dog has to take directions and use it's initiative to complete the retrieve - over/under fences, through water etc...
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Well there is the offical definition for field trials etc, where the dog has to be able to take directions, go out in a straight line and the like in order to find and retrieve an unseen object (or dropped bird).

For us ameteurs though, it's just being able to send the dog out in a general direction to then use it's nose to find it, then bring it back, so kind of a directed search and retrieve?? The dogs LOVE it!

Oh better add that the dog has no idea where the retrieval object is, it doesn't see the direction it gets thrown or anything like that. The dog has to take directions and use it's initiative to complete the retrieve - over/under fences, through water etc...
And for those of us who haven't got the hang of directions yet, blind retrieves are 20 minutes of us stuck out in the cold waiting for the dog to find it when he's certain you have it and you're lying to him because he can't be a*sed to put his nose in the air instead of on the ground (I hid it in the treehouse) oh and that he didn't like the fact it wasn't a pheasant wing covered dummy.. just a plain boring one with not a lot of scent at all
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >