Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
So she should have stayed away from the media. I do not agree with people immediately turning to the press and telling their story every way, every place right after it happened. Especially if it means that lives are to be affected as a result, the foxes lives.

Does anyone know what the little boy who was bitten by a fox at nursery looks like? No. That's because the family got on with it and the father released a single statement saying that his son had frightened a fox, which nipped him but that everything is fine and he doesn't feel it needs any further discussion. That is how to responsibly handle something like this.
I wonder if there is any money to be made out of such stories....
ref the father of the boy that got bitten, I take my hat off to him.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
So if your child is approached by a kerb crawler do you keep quiet? Or do you tell as many other parents/people as possible so as to prevent their child maybe becoming a victim?

rune
Of course, I would tell the story, once. It doesn't need to be told to every single press source in ever single way.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
What would you do then Pidge, with the urban fox, !!

Another scenario, what if it was rats, they are in your garden they come into your house, what are you going to do about them... leave them alone or put traps down for them!!
I don't know what to do about the urban fox. To be honest I blame the morons that have fed the ''cute little foxy'' in their London gardens. As for the rats? What?

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I really cant believe that people would still doubt its a Fox and/or doubt the parents story. There has been an investigation and its conclusive and concluded.
What investigation? I haven't heard of any investigation happening? All I know is 999 were called, took the twins off in an ambulance. The Mother gave one of them milk and put her in a coma, then she came back to the flat the next day and told her story to everyone that was listening for several weeks.

Look folks, I'm not answering any more posts on this because it's never going to go anywhere. My disbelief is purely born out of my anger at the knee jerk reaction over this and my sheer confusion (which is shared by every single wildlife expert out there - except the guy who covered his **** and back tracked) that this could ever happen. Someone said earlier about people reacting in funny ways, well maybe my reaction is that I just find it all so hard to believe. Nothing more than that.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I think the mother is a bit sensationalist but I can't believe they made money out of this. I sincerely hope not!

Agree 100% re the father.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 06:52 PM
So she should have stayed away from the media. I do not agree with people immediately turning to the press and telling their story every way, every place right after it happened. Especially if it means that lives are to be affected as a result, the foxes lives.

Does anyone know what the little boy who was bitten by a fox at nursery looks like? No. That's because the family got on with it and the father released a single statement saying that his son had frightened a fox, which nipped him but that everything is fine and he doesn't feel it needs any further discussion. That is how to responsibly handle something like this.
Thats strange it was all over the news! They even said they had (nursery staff) spoken to Fox experts and wildlife charities who had assured them the Foxes posed no threat, they were wrong and agreed that they should be removed. The bit you didnt hear about Pidge is what happened to them!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I cant remember the year either, but its a huge % of the fox population, I would think that the long suffering death caused by mange would be brutal for any animal to endure, It would be interesting to know how many dogs were affected in that year,
The thing is we can all say we like foxes, yada yada, I have loads round my way,
I can say hand on heart, when Hollys hair started to fall out not so long ago, the first thing I thought of was mange!! Due to the very frequent visits to our garden by foxes, I can honestly say I would have wanted well rid of the foxes had it been sarcoptic mange. Can you imagine how hard that would be to treat with four dogs, only for them to be re-infected by foxes time and again,
I've seen Foxes with no hair because of mange, its so awful to see, the thing is its not just mange that they can give dogs, they can also get parvo I remember a couple of Foxes being in isolation because they had things that we could pass on to our dogs (and them things weren't mange) there was also one Fox put in isolation where no students were allowed near it because there was concern that it would be able to pass on something that could harm people too. I am a lover of Foxes, I remember the hurt and upset of seeing a Fox that everyone loved being pts, seeing the light fade out off his eyes, and the final fight of the needle as it went in, but I also know what we have done to Foxes, particulary the urban Fox, we have created a monster (and not because of the children before anyone says that, because we have created them to be what they are today, the lack of fear, the problems everything), its now up to us to help them, by helping them we can help ourselves, we can allow them the chance to live a more natural life, make it so that people and Foxes live in Harmony with each other, by not seeing each other, by respecting each others space as much as possible, right now we have allowed a animal who because of us has no natural enemies just breed and breed, we have given them medical care when they need it when possible, we have fed them. To some they have become more like pets then wild animals, they are classed as wildlife for a reason, but because of us the urban Fox is not living the natural wild life, we need to make it so that they are living as natural life as possible, which I believe a cull could help with, it could thinnen numbers, let them have terriotries, because with Foxes being caught in numbers at the same place, thats not natural, at most there should be a dog fox and a vixen, or a vixen with cubs in the same area, and thats it.

Why have people not shown concern about this behaviour a lot sooner I don't know, why people have blindly carried on this behaviour, I wish I could understand but I do believe the way these wild animals were being treated was just a accident waiting to happen unfornatly.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
That was ONLY in one town, not nationally.
Ok then, it awould be intresting to see how many times numbers in different areas have fallen like this though, because I bet the urban fox, being as over populated as they are have a higer risk of dieseases spreading and spreading quicker too.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2010, 07:01 PM
I think the mother is a bit sensationalist but I can't believe they made money out of this. I sincerely hope not!

Agree 100% re the father.
I am sure she is, she has been waiting all these yrs for the opportunity to get herself noticed in the papers becoming a media sensation.

Now how can she do that I wonder, I know !!, get her babies attacked by a fox, and she gets her 5mins of fame!!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 07:02 PM
What investigation? I haven't heard of any investigation happening? All I know is 999 were called, took the twins off in an ambulance. The Mother gave one of them milk and put her in a coma, then she came back to the flat the next day and told her story to everyone that was listening for several weeks.

Look folks, I'm not answering any more posts on this because it's never going to go anywhere. My disbelief is purely born out of my anger at the knee jerk reaction over this and my sheer confusion (which is shared by every single wildlife expert out there - except the guy who covered his **** and back tracked) that this could ever happen. Someone said earlier about people reacting in funny ways, well maybe my reaction is that I just find it all so hard to believe. Nothing more than that.
Nope, you dont know of any investigation, you dont know about how much publicity the other attack attained, you dont know an awful lot about it do you, just what you "choose" to know.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf
Mmmm lets weigh it up, money made by publicising the story, children maimed by fox.... which one would she choose!!!!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Of course, I would tell the story, once. It doesn't need to be told to every single press source in ever single way.

I don't know what to do about the urban fox. To be honest I blame the morons that have fed the ''cute little foxy'' in their London gardens. As for the rats? What?

All it needs for them is to tell it once, and then once the media picks it up they become stalked by them, I remember seeing the mother returning to get a teddy and being horded by the media, funny that she didn't stop to get more fame but carried on to the hospital.

I'm also in disbelief about the knee jerk reaction that this thread was started because, the animal welfare people who have such a knee jerk reaction about an animal that they feel its ok to write hurtful things about someone whose going through his, I see two different groups reacting for different things, some jumping to defend the Fox, some in shock and panic about what happened, I'm somewhere in the middle, personnally I haven't been shocked about Fox behaviour for years since I heard about a Fox who went into someones house and attacked and killed her cat in front of her, I do see the need for a cull, but not because of this incident.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Not only were the media interested but the people who threatened the parents and said it wasn't true and posted vile stuff on the net actually made it MORE interesting for the GP.

rune
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 >