Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
So she should have stayed away from the media. I do not agree with people immediately turning to the press and telling their story every way, every place right after it happened. Especially if it means that lives are to be affected as a result, the foxes lives.

Does anyone know what the little boy who was bitten by a fox at nursery looks like? No. That's because the family got on with it and the father released a single statement saying that his son had frightened a fox, which nipped him but that everything is fine and he doesn't feel it needs any further discussion. That is how to responsibly handle something like this.
Pidge the boy bitten at the nursery was only nipped , as he put his hand under the shed. the babies where mauled, and could have been dead... degrees of interest dont you think.

Lets say if the parents had not published the story, it happened again, and this time a child was killed, would you be sayign the same, or condemning them for not speaking out.

They have spoke out to make people aware of the problem of the urban fox... seems they are damned if they do and dammed id the dont.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 05:12 PM
So she should have stayed away from the media. I do not agree with people immediately turning to the press and telling their story every way, every place right after it happened. Especially if it means that lives are to be affected as a result, the foxes lives.

Does anyone know what the little boy who was bitten by a fox at nursery looks like? No. That's because the family got on with it and the father released a single statement saying that his son had frightened a fox, which nipped him but that everything is fine and he doesn't feel it needs any further discussion. That is how to responsibly handle something like this.
You may not agree with it, but this family could of tried to release something as a warning, and then it snowballed, who would know? Foxes lives are affected by us already, things were happening to bring to light what a pest Foxes can be already, I don't think this story has truelly affected the lives of Foxes, I believe it was one of the things that will, but we can't just go on blindy pretending that there is no problem with urban foxes like people have been doing until now, we need to take responsibilty for the things that we have caused, and unfornatly it always gets darker before dawn.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 05:14 PM
What has them speaking out about the story achieved? It's got everyone scare monger-ed and a lot of innocent animals killed. I don't see that that has achieved anything.

Besides, I have no issue with the story being told, just not to this extent. Why has she felt it necessary to tell the papers, the radio, the TV all within one month!

I agree it must have been a fox. I disagree with the way the parents handled it. I disagree strongly with killing every fox that comes near the house. I agree something needs to be looked at.

While I'm at it I STRONGLY disagree with people feeding wild foxes full stop.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 05:15 PM
the other thing that sort of shocked me {but may be an important part of the short lived life of urban foxes} was........ the amount of rubbish people feed them,
why on earth would you stuff them full of cake!

People need to leave well alone,
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 05:16 PM

So if your child is approached by a kerb crawler do you keep quiet? Or do you tell as many other parents/people as possible so as to prevent their child maybe becoming a victim?

rune
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 05:22 PM
What has them speaking out about the story achieved? It's got everyone scare monger-ed and a lot of innocent animals killed. I don't see that that has achieved anything.

Besides, I have no issue with the story being told, just not to this extent. Why has she felt it necessary to tell the papers, the radio, the TV all within one month!

I agree it must have been a fox. I disagree with the way the parents handled it. I disagree strongly with killing every fox that comes near the house. I agree something needs to be looked at.

What has it achieved, its let people know the dangers that wild animals can cause. I also think you shouldn't judge how they handled it unless you have been in that position, would you be happy if you had children who were mauled like this to leave the Fox alone, knowing you were in its terroity, knowing because of that it would come back? I know I wouldn't, I don't know anyone who would tbh, and I'd be surprised if this were you if you'd let them be too.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
the other thing that sort of shocked me {but may be an important part of the short lived life of urban foxes} was........ the amount of rubbish people feed them,
why on earth would you stuff them full of cake!

People need to leave well alone,
People do need to leave alone, the people who are feeding Foxes should hold up their hands and take some responabilty for whats happened, as its people inviting wild animals near homes like this that can cause problems like this

Originally Posted by rune View Post
So if your child is approached by a kerb crawler do you keep quiet? Or do you tell as many other parents/people as possible so as to prevent their child maybe becoming a victim?

rune
I know that when I saw a man on a motorbike watching me and a little boy, who kept coming back, who kept staring I told everyone who I thought should be told, maybe I should of kept quiet about it?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2010, 05:23 PM

What would you do then Pidge, with the urban fox, !!

Another scenario, what if it was rats, they are in your garden they come into your house, what are you going to do about them... leave them alone or put traps down for them!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Also because of people helping animals when they are sick this also has a impact on animals, this was touched on in the documentry yesterday, they said that before I think it was around 95% of the urban fox population was wiped out because of mange (I think that was the number, not entirely sure, or of the year) but now people are helping sick and injured animals its leaving more to live and bred, its no longer survival of the fittest, its survival of the fittest and ones who live closer to people. People are trying to help, I've only just started thinking of it this way tbh, but in trying to help they are not allowing nature to take its course, and can have a negative impact on species by helping as by people going out just to have a negative impact on a species through over hunting etc.
I cant remember the year either, but its a huge % of the fox population, I would think that the long suffering death caused by mange would be brutal for any animal to endure, It would be interesting to know how many dogs were affected in that year,
The thing is we can all say we like foxes, yada yada, I have loads round my way,
I can say hand on heart, when Hollys hair started to fall out not so long ago, the first thing I thought of was mange!! Due to the very frequent visits to our garden by foxes, I can honestly say I would have wanted well rid of the foxes had it been sarcoptic mange. Can you imagine how hard that would be to treat with four dogs, only for them to be re-infected by foxes time and again,
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 06:39 PM
I really cant believe that people would still doubt its a Fox and/or doubt the parents story. There has been an investigation and its conclusive and concluded.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by chaz
Also because of people helping animals when they are sick this also has a impact on animals, this was touched on in the documentry yesterday, they said that before I think it was around 95% of the urban fox population was wiped out because of mange (I think that was the number, not entirely sure, or of the year) but now people are helping sick and injured animals its leaving more to live and bred, its no longer survival of the fittest, its survival of the fittest and ones who live closer to people. People are trying to help, I've only just started thinking of it this way tbh, but in trying to help they are not allowing nature to take its course, and can have a negative impact on species by helping as by people going out just to have a negative impact on a species through over hunting etc.
That was ONLY in one town, not nationally.
Page 11 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 >