Female 

19-03-2011, 06:38 PM
where are you judging Sheree, I can never remember where you live
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If you get a Border, it should be able to be "spanned" there is no height to the breed, but if you cant get your hands around it (unless you are quite small) its too big.
A work friend of mine has just bought a BT, he was a Crufts qualifier but from what I was told his breeder thought he was too long in the leg to do as well as other dogs she had that had also qualified. But I guess it must have been more about proportions then rather than height standard?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies...I'm taking it all in and hope I do the right thing on the day, although I know I won't please everyone, but I do want everyone to feel they've been given a fair crack

Jackie, it's at Linslade on 10th July, I had the phone call the other day to confirm and they are putting some info in the post. At the moment we are in West Milton Keynes...I'm working very hard on that though
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2011, 06:04 PM
If you get a german spitz - check if they are mittel or klien -though i doubt that measuring hoops will be available so you won't be able to check the heights formally the kliens are 9 to 11.5 inches the mittels are 12 to 15. Any colour goes so long as the pigment is solid (shade to "match" the coat)... the only other thing I'd make sure of is that they don't have the domed skull that you get in poms, the skull should be flat

Doubt you'd get a vallhund - but if you do - height to length ratio is 2:3 - they aren't anywhere like as long as corgis - oh and any sort of tail goes

Have fun!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
A work friend of mine has just bought a BT, he was a Crufts qualifier but from what I was told his breeder thought he was too long in the leg to do as well as other dogs she had that had also qualified. But I guess it must have been more about proportions then rather than height standard?
Well you dont want them short legged, its a big no no, scopey, fairly long in the back, but importantly, spannable. No height guide.
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-03-2011, 06:25 PM
At a companion show I went to last year I was horrified to see the judge putting up obese dogs who could barely waddle round the ring. She also awarded prizes to Spaniels, Lhasas, etc that had been shorn.

At a companion show you don't expect the judge to know everything about all breeds, but they should atleast reward fit dogs that resemble the breed they are supposed to be
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by malwhit View Post
At a companion show I went to last year I was horrified to see the judge putting up obese dogs who could barely waddle round the ring. She also awarded prizes to Spaniels, Lhasas, etc that had been shorn.

At a companion show you don't expect the judge to know everything about all breeds, but they should atleast reward fit dogs that resemble the breed they are supposed to be
I agree about the weight but I'd never knock a dog in a companion show for being clipped off.
Was Hoping you were nearer to essex hun we're organinsing a dog sho and I need judges (hint hint if anyone thinks they can oblidge inbox me !!!)
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I agree about the weight but I'd never knock a dog in a companion show for being clipped off.
Was Hoping you were nearer to essex hun we're organinsing a dog sho and I need judges (hint hint if anyone thinks they can oblidge inbox me !!!)
Hopefully you will get some judges Jacquie...if I were on my own I would have travelled to judge, but I have a lot going on at home these days so can't be as flexible as I was.

Are there any other breeds that don't have their mouths or any other part of their body inspected? I don't want to look a right lemon now do I?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:36 AM
If you get any NIDs I am not sure what the judges look for but a straight tail and a non patchy coat is always good, ref not being against the 'breed standard'.

It will be interesting to hear what breeds you do get xxxxx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well you dont want them short legged, its a big no no, scopey, fairly long in the back, but importantly, spannable. No height guide.
Thanks Dawn, it must've been a proportion thing but also I think she had 12 or so dogs, so I guess lines are drawn somewhere.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >