Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 06:28 AM

All I want for Christmas....

The day I met Fizz, was one of bright sunshine, blue skies with a chill in the air on one november saturday morning. I opened her gate with a mixture of feelings; will she have a go at me, will she hide from me?

As I pushed the gate, she trotted towards me and looked at me with her big brown eyes, tail down between her legs and a frown upon her face. I was a little nervous to say the least. Then I gave her the one thing she loves the most, her food. I don't think I have ever seen a dog eat a full bowl of food so quickly in all my life. It was all gone within the time it had taken me to turn around and close the gate behind me.

Once I had fed the other dogs, it was walkies time and so I prepared myself yet again for the worse. I entered Fizz's pen, with a slight anticipation and was met by a kangaroo. Up she bounced so high that I thought she'd leap over the fence. Her tail wagged, her tongue flapping in the wind and the biggest grin on her face. I put on her lead, and she started to sniff me. Just then, my husband walked past the fence and that was it, she went like a bullet from a gun.. running straight upto the fence, barking as loud as she could.. I swear, I heard her saying "go away".. Hubby tried to talk to her calmly, but she wasn't having any of it. He was the enemy. So with that, I took her on her walk. (Linda later told me that Fizz didn't trust men very well)

Out on the lake, she was lovely. She tried pulling my arm off at first, but once we had established that it wasn't going to work with me, she realised that she had to stop pulling in order for us to continue. As we passed the bushes, and Fizz kept sniffing every inch of the ground, I remembered Linda's words to me before I left, " don't let her near any rubbish" "she'll eat anything". No sooner had the thought disapeared from my mind, there was Fizz eating her way through a discarded sausage roll and wrapper. Again, I reaffirmed that this wasn't acceptable, which Fizz quite calmy conceded and on we walked.

Once at the lakeside, she wagged her tail furiously at the birds and ducks, and then once that little excitement had passed, it was time for me to have cuddles. As soon as my hand stroked her back, she eased into me, loving each stroke as though she had never been stroked before. I knealt closer and was lavished with lots of licks and kisses. Bliss I thought. Now it was my time to be sniffed. Fizz could
smell the treats in my pockets, and so in went her nose, straight into my coat pocket... again Lindas words echoing around my head, I quickly zipped them up and set off back to the kennels, leaving the tranqulity behind us.

As soon as we walked back into the kennels, Fizz's demenour changed instantly, she bounced and barked at every pen on route to her kennel. What a change, I couldn't believe that this same dog had not 2 minutes before, been calm, loving and so well behaved. I went into her pen with her and took off her lead, and she settled down again, snuggling into my legs wanting her strokes and cuddles. Not wanting to disappoint, I followed her into her bed, and sat down with her, where she settled instantly and lavished my tummy tickles and cuddles once more.With other dogs to walk, I had to go.

Christmas that year, came and went and Fizz was there on boxing day, eagerly tucking into her christmas treats and playing with her new toys. I had hoped that a home would have taken her by now, as she was such a lovely girl. She no longer barked at my husband, and would eagerly await his strokes and attention, even giving him loving licks...
The following year, I found myself wishing the same wish again... All I want for christmas is.....

Christmas after Christmas, and year after year I have had the pleasure of gaining Fizz's trust and have taken her out of the kennels and off to the beach on numerous occasions. The last few months, I have let her off lead and found that she was an absolute angel.

Taking a dog in the car, is quite an experience when you aren't so sure how they are going to cope, but with Fizz, she was a pleasure. She jumped into the back of the car, and sat watching everything that went past. She did bark
occasionally at the odd person, but soon settled again. During travelling, she was never sick either (much to my relief, as Ive lost count of the number of dogs who have been in the past).
Fizz just took everything in her stride, she loved running up and down the beach, nuzzling her nose through the seaweed, although she didn't find it very tasteful. She even helped a stranded fish, by pointing it out to me so that I could put it back into water. Offlead, she shined. I don't think I have ever seen such a big smile on her face and she always responded to my recalls for the whole 2 feet distance. Fizz rarely left my side, and thats when I realised, that she trusted me just as much as I trusted her. Even when we passed discarded rubbish, she sniffed and then with my command, she left it and walked on with me.
The best thing of all, was that she now has solid waste. In all the time I've known Fizz, she has had the runs due to the odd volunteer feeding her something she shouldn't have, but we're finally seeing solid waste which no doubt will make Fizz feel a lot better too..

As a kennel worker, I am not supposed to have my 'favourites'.. but I'm happy to say, that Fizz is definately a favourite of mine.
As much as I would miss seeing her, there is nothing more certain of what I want for christmas and thats seeing Fizz go into her forever home....
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 06:32 AM
She's just gorgeous Amanda - I'm not surprised you totally fell in love with her - I did too, just reading your blog
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 06:37 AM
OMG, I got tingles down my back reading that and a tear iin my eye.
I HOPE she gets her forever home this year, bless her, she's a beautiful looking dog. Everything here is crossed for her. x
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 03:30 PM
She seems to have been in the kennels for such a long time. I hope you get your wish, but I am sure you would miss her.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Aww you've done a great job with her Amanda. I can imagine how tough your work is You guys really are stars.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 05:34 PM
She is adorable,I hope she finds a new family that you find comfort yourself she will be happy ever after.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2006, 05:54 PM
She's a stunner and it's no wonder she's become special to you. Hope she has the Christmas she deserves. Great work and a great blog
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Just look at that sweet face how could anyone not want to take her home! I so hope she find her forever home bless she has come on in leaps and bounds thanks to your loving care xx
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

22-11-2006, 08:17 PM
I sincerely hope you get your wish and that she gets her forever home before Christmas. You have done wonders with her and you should be proud of yourself. I know you are proud of her and what she has achieved - she deserves a nice home with a lovng owner, Positive vibes for the lovely Fizz
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Awww fizz, she looks a lot like my mums lurcher Sadie, beautiful girl, she has been there a long time hasn't she?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >