View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Well if it's that good ... I better not even download the free preview just yet as I am snowed under here! And have to tidy up a bit tomorrow ready for the goodbye drinks bash in here for my neighbour. It will be going on my Kindle so I can read in the bath without specs (increase font size) or outside in the sunlight. I prefer the kindle to the tablet for the paper print quality display for reading in bright natural light.

I am TEMPTED tho! Iron self resolve required here. In fact I left in the middle of doing some editing for my job to have a quick Dogsey looksee as something I was uploading took more than 5 seconds to disappear off screen and now I've been in Dogsey for at least half an hour!

I earn a lot more money when I stay off this site lol!
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Mandyuk1 View Post
I'm going to download the 'until Tuesday' not read in ages tend to read loads in summer, not so much in winter, I watch too much stuff on tv
I've just bought Jodi Piccoult -the story teller, usually love her books so will let you all know what I think, when I've finally read it.
I'm in the middle of reading until Tuesday but work keeps getting in the way of my reading
Next on my list is war dog by Damien Lewis.

If you like Jodi piccoult you should try Diane chamberlain books she is very similar, I love both
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by loufoxyloxy View Post
I'm in the middle of reading until Tuesday but work keeps getting in the way of my reading
Next on my list is war dog by Damien Lewis.

If you like Jodi piccoult you should try Diane chamberlain books she is very similar, I love both
Ok will have a look at her books thank you
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Well I enjoyed "Until Tuesday" didn't take me long to read it, however if I had to have 1 complaint it would be that I wanted more about him and Tuesday and less about the war in Iraq etc.. I would have like more about how Tuesday helped him go places.

I had 2 massive BURNING questions in my mind after reading the book - when he has his migraines and is confined to bed for days on end - how does Tuesday get out of his apartment to poop and pee - and who is feeding him????

I guess I am a just a dog lover and this bothered me, I wanted to know more about Tuesday.

Right - so moving on, the next book the book club is reading is "Under One Roof: lessons I learned from a touch old woman in a little old house" by Barry Martin.

I am off to library today to also get some "light" reading material - crappy chick lit like Bridget
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2014, 12:25 AM
I've not long finished The Book Thief, set in the Second World War, about a wee girl who is fostered by a German couple. It's a very good book, took a little bit to get into but very good.

I also have read the Great Gatsby, learning more than I ever wanted to know about it cause I'm having to read it for the Higher English. But tbh I think there are parallels between it and Othello, it's a book about jealousy in the end.

Just finished a Grisham as well, it was okay, it's one of those books you can read and forget.

Finally just started (again) Under the Dome by Stephen King, I've always been a bit of a Stephen King buff, just really enjoy his novels, they aren't 'in your face' gory. I also find that he writes about everyday stuff that we all understand and isn't always included in a novel...eg that feeling of really having to go to the loo at the most inopportune moments. Silly I know but I like his style of writing.
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2014, 12:44 AM
Reading this at the moment - "Under One Roof: lessons I learned from a tough old woman in a little old house" by Barry Martin.

I CAN'T PUT IT DOWN!!!! it is brilliant, and not just that it is set in Seattle but it is such an amazing True Story, I am love love loving it!!!!!!!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2014, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by DaisyD0g View Post
Reading this at the moment - "Under One Roof: lessons I learned from a tough old woman in a little old house" by Barry Martin.

I CAN'T PUT IT DOWN!!!! it is brilliant, and not just that it is set in Seattle but it is such an amazing True Story, I am love love loving it!!!!!!!!!
OK you've put me right off TUESDAY. But I am going to download this one tonight.

If nowt else I can feel sorry for them in rainy Seattle!
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Well I need to have 1 book to recommend to my bookclub to read.

So I have been thinking about what would be my no.1 book I have ever read, that really stuck with me and GAWD its a hard question.....

I mean I always remember reading "Anne Franks Diary" for the first time, and then "A Town called Alice" I have read and re-read many many times...

Its so hard to choose just 1 book!

However I am leaning towards "The Book Thief" haven't read it yet and it sounds brilliant!

anyone else got any MUST reads?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Jenny has recommended AND THE MOUNTAINS ECHOES BY Khaled Hosseini - when I looked it up to download it I see he has two earlier books - THE KITE RUNNER and A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS. So I've bought them all on Kindle and will start with the earliest one - even though it isn't a Trilogy.

I still haven't read UNDER ONE ROOF. Duh. I could kick myself sometimes for reading a book I've read before when you consider I won't live long enough to read all the books I want to read and haven't yet read.

Also for just choosing one at random without a recommendation. I rarely stick with a book if I am finding it hardgoing. Or have to keep 'starting again' a bit back from where I put it down because I've already forgotten who is who and what is what!
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2014, 05:01 PM
I read the Kite Runner, and it was full of reviews and everyone saying how wonderful it was, I thought it was a bit Meh! didn't really think it deserved all the hype it got!!

I am halfway through The Book Thief, thoroughly enjoying it but its a slow read
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4