Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2013, 04:14 AM
Yes Tang, it is a huge issue in the US as well as here
Alot of rescues will not adopt out in December, either, and never to anyone who mentions christmas presents.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2013, 06:27 AM
Makes my blood boil!! Even if I wanted a dog I would never get it around Christmas (unless a stroke of fate happened) because it's stressful enough without a new puppy/dog!
Tesco is evil anyway and I've stopped going there a long time ago. I hope this doesn't increase puppy 'sales' at christmas.. I can't believe people are still that stupid.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Apart from the irresponsibility and insensitivity of this ill-thought out advert/promotion Tesco's products are absolute rubbish anyway! I don't shop there, but most definitely won't be now.

Sadly the "let's get ????? a puppy for Christmas" persists despite the very high profile "a dog is for life" campaign. I'm not sure what it is about society's parents today wanting to please their children - is it through guilt? Or maybe this is for another forum altogether.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Tesco have now apologised apparently and offered to work with the Dogs Trust to promote their slogan "A dogs for Life....."
The only link I have is via FB which won't be allowed.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Tesco have now apologised apparently and offered to work with the Dogs Trust to promote their slogan "A dogs for Life....."
The only link I have is via FB which won't be allowed.
Oh,well that's great news
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Apart from the irresponsibility and insensitivity of this ill-thought out advert/promotion Tesco's products are absolute rubbish anyway! I don't shop there, but most definitely won't be now.

Sadly the "let's get ????? a puppy for Christmas" persists despite the very high profile "a dog is for life" campaign. I'm not sure what it is about society's parents today wanting to please their children - is it through guilt? Or maybe this is for another forum altogether.
I don't think it's about parents wanting to please their children really, so many pepper get a puppy because they love the idea of a puppy growing up with their children but do not realise that it's bloody hard work!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Ah, I think I see now.

I think that shelters are far too lax in allowing people to adopt dogs, I had to sit through a 2 hour interview before I got Nigredo. It sucked, BIG TIME. They checked our household income and everything...

We had to agree to never leave him alone for more than 7-8 hours, and no longer than 4 hours until he was 6 months. Since we don't have a fenced yard, we also had to agree he'd never be kept as an outdoor dog.

We also had to agree we understood his final size would be 60-70 lbs. We also could NOT be smokers, criminals, or live near a high traffic area. For fear of all causing harm to the dog.

They also can check our house twice a year and pick through our backgrounds and the dogs vet records etc. whenever they want to ensure he's being vaccinated and our house isn't hoarded or whatever.

Also, if they can prove the dog isn't being taken care of, they can force us to give it back. We also had to agree to bring him back to THAT shelter if we decided we didn't want him.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Ah, I think I see now.

I think that shelters are far too lax in allowing people to adopt dogs, I had to sit through a 2 hour interview before I got Nigredo. It sucked, BIG TIME. They checked our household income and everything...

We had to agree to never leave him alone for more than 7-8 hours, and no longer than 4 hours until he was 6 months. Since we don't have a fenced yard, we also had to agree he'd never be kept as an outdoor dog.

We also had to agree we understood his final size would be 60-70 lbs. We also could NOT be smokers, criminals, or live near a high traffic area. For fear of all causing harm to the dog.

They also can check our house twice a year and pick through our backgrounds and the dogs vet records etc. whenever they want to ensure he's being vaccinated and our house isn't hoarded or whatever.

Also, if they can prove the dog isn't being taken care of, they can force us to give it back. We also had to agree to bring him back to THAT shelter if we decided we didn't want him.
Sounds brilliant to me!
Better making absolutely sure the dog has a good home plus the insurance of taking them back if things go to pot than just handing them out to anyone and washing their hands
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2013, 09:07 PM
I think the rescue centre where I got mine was not quite so strict as the one you went to (but I'm UK based) but I did have to allow 2 home checks - the first check found gaps in the garden fence that had to be fixed and the second check was to make sure we'd done that.

How is Jade these days? I haven't noticed you mention her?

Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Ah, I think I see now.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >