Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Because foxes had been spotted in the vicinity, the remains of the cat had been found strewn across the front lawn, after an altercation had been heard, two foxes that were bold enough to be caught in humane traps were destroyed? I'm not sure why anyone questions that it was surely a fox, and most likely one of the foxes killed, that was the predator??

Honestly, it really brings it back to the couple whose twins were attacked by foxes, and they were subject to a torrent of abusive correspondence.

Foxes are beautiful creatures, in the right place, but out of context, they can be a nuisance, and they can also become destructive. I know a game keeper who has a pet fox, he has no qualms about keeping numbers on the shoot under control, doesn't want to exterminate them, and his pet fox is a lovely animal.

Another example of people who truly care about the enironment, just last week it was reported a Scottish deer stalker had resigned following a decision to shoot all year round, to preserve the Scots pine in certain areas.

All these blood thirsty people, obviously only in it for the kill

again i'll tell you why i question it! because if you feel strongley about conservation like i do then you would never put an alien species above an indiginous one.

just because foxes have moved into towns(or should i say towns moved into foxes ) dosent mean they shouldnt be there, the most successful species are those who have adapted to live close by man and if wild animals are to survive then what else can they do with an ever shrinking natural world???

shame more creatures arnt as adaptable as the fox imho.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Reading this thread is making me re-think getting Louie into some kind of shooting class - think I'll go with tracking or some sort of retrieval instead..

The only thing I shoot regularly... is people

Airsofting and it's usually a camera shot thats a good sport to get into (no one gets killed yet the satisfaction of "killing" them is still there)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:35 AM
OK----now we are getting near the truth.

Not all animals are shot cleanly and die instantly. They are 'retrieved' and then killed. Some will not be retrieved because their injuries will not be bad enough yet to prevent them from fleeing the scene fast. Amazing how fast you can run after being shot. Those that are retrieved DO suffer but in the eyes of the humans involved that time is irrelevant.

rune
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Reading this thread is making me re-think getting Louie into some kind of shooting class - think I'll go with tracking or some sort of retrieval instead..

The only thing I shoot regularly... is people

Airsofting and it's usually a camera shot thats a good sport to get into (no one gets killed yet the satisfaction of "killing" them is still there)
Brilliant & witty reply!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

Not all animals are shot cleanly and die instantly. They are 'retrieved' and then killed. Some will not be retrieved because their injuries will not be bad enough yet to prevent them from fleeing the scene fast. Amazing how fast you can run after being shot. Those that are retrieved DO suffer but in the eyes of the humans involved that time is irrelevant.

rune
That sums it up nicely for me
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
Sums it up for me too & said better than i could
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
so even tho studies have shown the millions of cats KILL MILLIONS of our wildlife you dont believe it ...and you dont believe it because if it were true there would be a LAW to keep cats under control haha .....well we all know the laws an ass dont we if it wasnt.. for no other reason than to preserve our last few Scottish Wildcats wouldnt there have been laws to keep cats secure to protect them at least?! oh and also laws to stop puppy farming, etc etc!!!!

deary me you are clutching at straws now arnt ya

and why do YOU keep LYING and saying i want cats KILLED ... is it desperation or something

like cats they do terrible destruction to our indiginous wildlife they will never be naturalised so as lovely as i think they are they have to be erradicated!

and your views on free roaming cats are??
Depends on whether they are domesticated or not.

Feral cats need to be controlled, I am not a fan of shooting them, but certainly spay/neuter or euthanasia, depending on individual circumstances.

Domesticated one, I have no particular view on, they are pets, and as such need to be treated as such.

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Reps!

Unfortunately I know (over hear) many ''marksmen'' (term used purely to relate) who admit it's sometimes not a clean shot. How disgusting.

I went out for a drive, walk and pub supper tonight. We stopped at a pub that is famous for it's menu. After ordering a glass of red we browsed the menu, only to realise to our disgust that fois gras was on the menu. We got up from our table and left with me having made it perfectly clear why I was leaving to everyone in there.

Man causing death, harm and suffering to animals is inexcusable, no matter how many arguments you throw this way.
I really cant see your connection of fois gras to the control of our wildlife, force feed poultry yes, but we make our choice NOT to eat or buy it.

Wild life is just that, they live a natural wild life, and when controlled they are done so humanly and quickly, or should be.

We have a duty of care to make sure what wildlife we have is able to continue in as healthy a condition as possible, and whether people like it or not, the way to that is conservation, and conservation includes control of numbers.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Quote - jackbox

Wild life is just that, they live a natural wild life, and when controlled they are done so humanly and quickly, or should be.

- end quote jackbox

If only it were so simple doesnt always happen that way - sadly
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I really cant see your connection of fois gras to the control of our wildlife, force feed poultry yes, but we make our choice NOT to eat or buy it.
It was a sweeping statement based on the unkind way humans treat animals.

I find it sad. I also feel very sad reading some of the comments on here about killing animals.

I can't help that.
boredinstroud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2011, 12:00 PM
I think many (most?) people would accept a degree of management, including some culling, of wildlife on the basis that it is undertaken by qualified professionals who study the populations, have access to the facts and stats and are able to model and project outcomes based on different management scenarios. These may include shooting but may also include neutering, in case of badger/TB issue vaccination, or indeed leaving well enough alone.

This may happen already in certain cases but overall the approach to wildlife management seems unstructured and individualistic which is why many people have a problem with it at the moment - Farmer has fox/rabbit etc. problem so shoots/poisons the offenders. The subject of the article is a case in point; one man's response to the loss of his pet. I am not sure how people can honestly claim that the hunting/shooting that goes on is primarily to keep the balance of nature when there is so little reference to the bigger picture. It is a response that is as personally driven as the decision of an urban family to feed the wildlife in their garden.
Page 33 of 37 « First < 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 > Last »