Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Just because a hairdresser owns scissors it dont mean they're any good.

Some people are better and worse than others in all things.
Aragh - dont mention hairdressers to me. I take your point and have to agree
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Nope..............
So what were you referring to? Because I've never heard of anything where rabbits weren't either shot cleanly, or retrieved quickly to ensure they didn't suffer?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Nope..............
Then i have no idea what you're on about.

Ok,during these rabbit shoots-is it daytime or at night.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Honestly hun, that shows how very little you understand shooting, pheasants shot at point blank are of no use to anyone, it's the high fliers that are shot

My OH went on a couple of shoots last year, roving syndicate days, where he won't be going again, for the very same reason.
Actually "hun" I do know that -
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Actually "hun" I do know that -
I'm sorry, but not my experience of anyone involved with shoots, or shooting, so I can only think you've had a poor experience.

Edited to add, what on earth use has anyone got in blasting a bird into bits, serves no purpose, and is why anyone who does this, isn't welcome on any shoot I know of.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2011, 11:50 PM

Changing the subject slightly away from foxes as others appear to be doing. What about pheasants - birds specifically reared to be shot and killed when adults. They are so "scared" [not] that it takes "beaters" treading through the undergrowth before the shoot flushing the birds out towards the markspeople. Yup they stand a real sporting chance of survival
Old wives tale about game birds being tame so dont believe that nonsense! Have you never walked in the countryside with your dogs and heard the familiar squawk they make when spooked?

They're wild once released and live a good life-much much better than commerically farmed animals yet people are still quite willing to eat poultry which has never seen daylight.Also,on gameshoots a high percentage dont ever get shot because they wander miles away!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Old wives tale about game birds being tame so dont believe that nonsense! Have you never walked in the countryside with your dogs and heard the familiar squawk they make when spooked?

They're wild once released and live a good life-much much better than commerically farmed animals yet people are still quite willing to eat poultry which has never seen daylight.Also,on gameshoots a high percentage dont ever get shot because they wander miles away!
Yes I know!! Im always having to dodge them. Very disconcerting when you come round a bend and see two of them [usually females - ssh..] dandering about the middle of the road
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Yes I know!! Im always having to dodge them. Very disconcerting when you come round a bend and see two of them [usually females - ssh..] dandering about the middle of the road
Theres a cockbird which has made a nearby village its home for the last year and whenever i drive by its strutting its stuff on the green! Villagers feed him and in this instance he IS tame!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Theres a cockbird which has made a nearby village its home for the last year and whenever i drive by its strutting its stuff on the green! Villagers feed him and in this instance he IS tame!
... and they say birds have little brains

When my elder brother moved into his present home few years ago there was a male pheasant that came every day to be fed, previous owners told him about it and what/when and time to feed it. All very precise. Every day at 3pm this bird would arrive to be fed. If they didnt notice it or forgot, it would tap the back door with its beak.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2011, 08:24 AM
You must know me by now that i'll listen to both sides of an argument!

The difference in my opinion is that foxes are wild animals and domestic cats are someones property.Cats are notorious predators of songbirds,but since they belong to someone nothing can be done short of making them wear boxing gloves to cover their claws! I know what you're getting at in that why should a cats life be worth more than a fox since they're both hunters of native wildlife,but it comes back full circle to the wild/domestic bit.I guess people will always feel emotionally charged when a pet has been killed and is likely worse when its done by another animal so they want revenge.
Which is why youre one of the few pro-hunters that ive come across on forums that i respect

and thats the problem because theyre pets many people turn a blind eye to the damage cats do and just accept the fact that its their 'nature' to kill for fun....but i'll say again they are classed everywhere in the world as an invasive species, they are ruthless killers and also domesticated they can never be naturalised into any ecosystem...so shouldnt be there in the 1st place.

cat owners really should get their emotions in check when they kill foxes to 'protect' cats ... the owners are the irresponsible ones, a) for letting their cats out in the 1st place, and b) for then killing an animal that is indiginous to the UK!

it shows they care nothing for the ecology of our country.

Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Skip reading, partly a fuzzy head, partly an attempt to confuse the bug by annihilating it with red wine and VSOP Cognac! Anyway, where did the figure 8 million come from? Curious, as I did a very cursory search earlier, and came up with a max figure of about 3 million

Edited to add, first para is just a query to you Noushka, rest is just rambling after reading.....

With the question of trapping feral/wild animals, surely, an animal that is shot, without ever knowing it's been hunted, so stalked effectively, is better than being trapped, transported somewhere and then pts? I know which I think is more human for feral or wild animals.

And back to the cats, if there is such a problem, and they predate so heavily on our natural species, surely re-releasing any into the wild is wrong, they have to be pts? You can't condone allowing the predation to go on to any extent if it's such a problem.

Red legged partridge aren't for the record, a problem in this country, and it is by far, those who shoot that have done the most in recent years for the conservation of the grey partridge, amongst other species. On many shoots, it is prohibited to shoot the indigenous grey partridge, and on others, where they are allowed to be shot, they ensure they release sufficient numbers to try and keep a sustainable population. The red legged partridge has been a more popular bird on shoots, because of the way it flies.

well yes conservationists would most definatley agree that ferals should be killed, but i'd prefer they were neutered (and conservationists agree 'any' free roaming cat is detrimental to any habitat its at large in)

and heres some figures on our ever growing cat population, theres lots of different sources and they all say pretty much same figure around 9 million....http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/top_cities.html

so what about the 'non ferals' then...you know your average pet allowed to roam????? cos you still havent answered yet

lol and youre views that those who shoot have done much for conservation is EXTREMELY debatable (but thats for another thread i suppose ....by the way the greys decline is down to over shooting in the 1st place
Page 32 of 37 « First < 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 > Last »