View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Just because a dog has champions in it's pedigree...doesn't make it worthy breeding stock IMO. In order to be quality breeding stock it should either do well at shows or in what it was bred to do...it is not enough that it has champions in its lines.
I couldn't agree more. Having "good lines" alone is NOT enough to justify breeding from a dog. My dog has good lines (he is the product of a 100% field trial bitch and a dual purpose sire -- Leospring for those familiar with Lab lines) but that doesn't make him breeding quality. He doesn't have enough substance for a show dog, despite having overall a very pleasing structure, and doesn't have enough drive to be a field trial dog. But, he is the perfect pet!

A dog should be proven in it's own right before breeding, and of course pass all the necessary health tests and have a great temperament.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Just because a dog has champions in it's pedigree...doesn't make it worthy breeding stock IMO. In order to be quality breeding stock it should either do well at shows or in what it was bred to do...it is not enough that it has champions in its lines.
My beagles both come from good show breeders and both have loads of champions in their pedigree. My oldest is the most fabulous dog I've ever seen - everyone comments on how gorgeous she is, and she can out-perform most dogs she meets. Physically she's outstanding. But she's way too fine boned and slender to ever win a show - she looks EXACTLY like her working ancestors. Yet her sister is in crufts and has already won loads of shows.

So, beanie has superb show 'lines' and a sister that's doing well in shows. But when it comes to the world of showing Beanie would be a complete duffer.

She's been spayed and we'd have no intention of ever breeding. But it's kind of a shame that outstanding dogs like her won't pass on their genes simply because they don't fit the mold of 'show dog' (or working dog). Arguably the dogs that would be most popular as pets are dying out because they don't appeal to the people that are doing the breeding. I think I'd like to see people that breed pets. We've got show breeders; we've got working dog breeders. There's still a gap to be filled in my opinion.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 05:09 PM
ah right, i wasnt planning on breeding her as she has already been spayed. But people always go on about the breed lines of dogs when im out and ive never really known how you can tell. I always wondered what all the red bits were on the cert. Ive never had any interest in show dogs, but i did fancy getting her on a gun course or something like that. Just to keep her learning new things and keep her mind stimulated. When choosing her i looked at the mother and she had the best temperment ever, thats why i chose her. The dad also had a really nice attitude, very calm, laid back and relaxed. I think mine has taken after her dad lol
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 05:13 PM
I think I'd like to see people that breed pets.
People do -- all the time, and far too much sadly. I bet that 99% of dogs in dog shelters are pet bred, bred simply because their owners wanted a litter and nothing more.

Actual responsible breeders that prove their dogs are the minority.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 05:14 PM
ah right, i wasnt planning on breeding her as she has already been spayed. But people always go on about the breed lines of dogs when im out and ive never really known how you can tell. I always wondered what all the red bits were on the cert. Ive never had any interest in show dogs, but i did fancy getting her on a gun course or something like that. Just to keep her learning new things and keep her mind stimulated. When choosing her i looked at the mother and she had the best temperment ever, thats why i chose her. The dad also had a really nice attitude, very calm, laid back and relaxed. I think mine has taken after her dad lol
Lines really don't matter in pet. She sounds like a great dog, probably a pet bred from field lines.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 05:19 PM
yeah i was just wondering how you knew about the lines. i knew someone on here could help me out and tell me thanks guys
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
People do -- all the time, and far too much sadly. I bet that 99% of dogs in dog shelters are pet bred, bred simply because their owners wanted a litter and nothing more.

Actual responsible breeders that prove their dogs are the minority.
I'm talking about a role for responsible breeders focusing on producing ideal pets - different criteria when selecting breeding stock. Not everyone likes the way show dogs are developing and not everyone wants a dog who's genetically programmed to work all day. Yet they still like a particular breed and don't want to go to a breeder that's focused on all the wrong characteristics (from their point of view).

Some people seem to think that either show breeders or working dog breeders are the 'keepers' of the breed. Perhaps that's the way they'd like it. But it needn't be so.

It's certainly a way to help prevent the gene pools from shrinking to the point where every dog is related to every other dog in the breed!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I think it is more than just having champions in their lines. Many champions are overused at stud etc...so it isn't always an indication of quality. I think if you want to know about the lines you really need to chat to people in the breed and learn as much as you can that way. Just because there are champions doesn't mean you have a good dog. A good breeder won't necessarily go for the 'champions' they will go for a healthy dog, with healthy ancestors...with excellent, proven temperaments...with looks that will compliment their lines.

Couldn't agree more We have a number of working collies that come from really excellent proven working lines (ie trials champs etc) but this means nothing if the progeny aren't up to the work. Having said that though, it is nice to see plenty of trialling champs in the pedigree - especially if these same dogs can be seen working at home - and excel at the job

Regarding the OP, I think many people who are interested in a breed are interested in how it is bred. I know that whenever I meet anyone with an interest in collies, they always want to know which lines my dogs come from. Up here there are lots of shepherds and they all seem to be a fountain of knowledge regarding past trials champs etc.

Weirdly, very few up here ask me about my GSDs pedigrees
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
yeah i was just wondering how you knew about the lines. i knew someone on here could help me out and tell me thanks guys
If you have a look at your dog's pedigree, that will tell you what lines your dog is from
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
I'm talking about a role for responsible breeders focusing on producing ideal pets - different criteria when selecting breeding stock. Not everyone likes the way show dogs are developing and not everyone wants a dog who's genetically programmed to work all day. Yet they still like a particular breed and don't want to go to a breeder that's focused on all the wrong characteristics (from their point of view).

Some people seem to think that either show breeders or working dog breeders are the 'keepers' of the breed. Perhaps that's the way they'd like it. But it needn't be so.

It's certainly a way to help prevent the gene pools from shrinking to the point where every dog is related to every other dog in the breed!
I used to think this way too.
Thing is I see more and more now that if you allow people to breed purely for the pet market...the 'look' and 'purpose' go...so are you actually breeding that specific breed anymore. No...you're not. You are focusing on a dog with a great temperament...which is laudable...BUT it won't be to the specific breed...so you are looking at a pet dog, full stop. Not a pet Beagle dog.Just a pet dog. Not a pet lab. Just a pet dog. In the end it won't look anything like it should or be fit for function.

There are plenty of byb doing this already.

I do understand your point and I did, in all honesty used to share it. I don't now though, I trust people in the breed to breed for health, temperament, conformity and purpose....
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »