View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I feel so sorry for rottis at the moment.
A few cases in the press and people stereotype the breed. Not making light of the incidents, they were dreadful, but who was to blame at the end of the day, the owners, not the dogs. It was the same when it all kicked off in the 80's I have a lot of friends with rottis and all would agree they are a breed which needs work and they are a strong breed not just physically but mentally.
It's a shame to see the majority of good owners suffering at the minority of bad ones.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom View Post
I don't muzzle Ozzy at the vets 'because he is a Rottweiler', he doesn't need it. He has been well socialized from puppyhood to accept handling at the vets, in fact I've done too good a job as he bloomin loves going there and piddles with joy when the nurses pet him!

The only time I would allow it if he was in that much pain that he was likely to act out of character and bite then - but I would allow that with any dog, nothing to do with breed.

I can acknowledge some vets may not examine without taking precautions, I would only go to a vet who judged my dogs character before making such a blanket ruling.
This instance it seems that it was the owners idea which I find strange if he is confident in his dogs character and control of him:smt017
That's what I thought too Ozzysmom, he said his dog wasn't aggressive, but mainly the way he said when I asked, it was like "Because he's a rottweiler, duhhhhh!" If you know what I mean! As if I should have known!

Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
I'd go with Stephanie's theory too. That the owner felt apprehensive and so decided to cover all bases. Though, in my view, if the dog doesn't normally wear a muzzle, then it might well serve to make the dog even more agitated.
It seemed to me the dog never usually wore a muzzle, the owner didn't bring one of his own, and it certainly agitated the dog who was trying to scratch it off for the duration I was there at least (I left before he went into the examiniation room).

I can only imagine he didn't like needles or something. He was obviously there for some kind of operation, and must have had the muzzle on to be given his pre-med.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 02:59 PM
when we take our rottie harley to the vets he has to be muzzled or the vets won,t see him
he is not aggressive or nasty but it is their policy
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 03:13 PM
awe thats a shame, I dont personaly have to muzzle my lot (or have never had to so far) mabey she thinks it is what is expected by vets, or mabey she is not too confident in him, poor lad, but if he picks up on her vibe then he could be a bit sharp. people who know rotts will know how tuned into there owners they can be, sad really as she may inevitabley cause him to be stressed,
funny though my vet is more than happy to do any examination with my lot (except royce) who is a talker, he will still happily check him on the condition that im with him not my oh, lol, he admits that it is just the talking that gets him but says he must reek of stress when the dogs starts it unless im there, over the years he has got better with it and I think he knows now he will be safe enough, on one visit when royce fractured a tooth at the front he laughed and said " great a rottweiler with tooth ache and I have to go face to face with it " on this visit royce omited the talking thing in favour of a slobbery kiss, well why else would he be down there looking at his gob if he did not want a wet one, think that was the turning point for them both,
that said he never muzzels any of my dogs for a pre med (where im not present) and I always ask how they behaved when being brought out of there cages and so on, No problems to date but my dogs quite like the vet now, silly sods, especialy Julie the nurse they adore her,
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Kai,my Leo has to be Muzzled as the Vet said he gives her Funny Looks I don't blame her he is very scared and there is a a chance he may one day Bite her

Parker wears a Muzzle because he is very scared and will bite her the Boys are total whims she is a lovely Vet, but to be fair the only time they have seen her she has removed there plums

Amie and Cookie don't care a bit about going to the Vet which is just as well as Cookie spends most of her life there!!
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
Though, in my view, if the dog doesn't normally wear a muzzle, then it might well serve to make the dog even more agitated.

That's what I thought too If he is usually such a friendly dog seems a bit strange that they would think of muzzling him. I think you can tell when you meet the vet how the dog is feeling about them

I suppose it is better to be safe than sorry though. I guess you don't know how they will react to being prodded by a stranger. I think vets are very brave
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2006, 01:18 PM
I had to search through all of the vets in our area until I found one that would let me take in my Akita without a muzzle (I got to 'Y' in the phone book )

The vet I use now breeds ridgebacks and so knows how to handle and judge a large dog.

Nala has practically lived in the vets for the last 6 years and has no problem being examined etc, it would have been a shame if they had insisted on her being muzzled.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 10:07 PM
I don't muzzle either of my dogs at the vets, but do have a tight hold of my GSD when she is being examined as she gets very frightened at the vets. I think the owner was probably just being responsible. Just because the dog seemed relaxed in the waiting room doesn't mean it might not have a "nibble" at the vet if it got worried.
metz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2006, 10:16 PM
metz is friendly but when it comes to the vet we have to muzzle her otherwise she would rip his arm off
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2