View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

07-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn;
I think there has been far too much "clicking" and faffing of dogs of late, every single thing a dog does, click and treat! Yet I cant see any real benefits, except as Luke has said a dog expecting to be fed treats every five minutes! Bribing dogs off furniture, then when it gets down give it a biscuit, feeding them cheese because they didnt rip a hole in your leg the last time you passed them, its insane! No wonder this day and age we have the worst behaved dogs ever and not to mention the worst behaved kids, its the same with them, cant do this cant do that! AARRGGHH!!
Originally Posted by jess View Post
''create a long and lasting loving relationship with their dogs without resorting to bribery and child like rewards.''

SHOCKED
So using a tug toy or bit of livercake as a reward is BRIBERY.

That makes me a bit dumbfounded.
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Sorry Jess, I don't mean to pick on you.... I find most of your posts brilliant. But I've got to point this out as an example of blatant anthropomorphism.

I doesn't help at all in our understanding of dogs, to attribute human feelings to them.
To be fair to Jess I think she was responding to others using that sort of language and not using it herself.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 06:45 PM
lol - but I still say they love training, well I see it as 'love' they see it as getting an easy bit of food! Hay they wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth their while, they would say ''no way- I ain't no sucka'' ok there we go with the anthropomorphising again. Damn that's a long word, thank gawd dogs don't have to spell.

Yep, agreeing with you now LOL

My dogs too 'love' clicker training and food rewards, but they also 'love' the security that a human in alpha role gives to their pack :smt002
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Yep, agreeing with you now LOL

My dogs too 'love' clicker training and food rewards, but they also 'love' the security that a human in alpha role gives to their pack :smt002

If I was feeling particularly pedantic I'd point out the blatant hypocrisy in your two posts. I'll sit on me hands! LOL.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 07:23 PM
I like watching the shows and it can be impressive some of the results he achieves.

Though I do agree with the earlier point that I have also seen a few dogs show fear towards him, like ducking down flat when he approaches. I do think it is worrying that they show this behaviour towards him, makes you wonder what he does off camera?
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
I have a question, and I promise it's not to "start".

Quite a lot I see CM supporters use the disclaimer on CM's programs as an excuse/reason for people not to follow his methods at home, as if that makes what he teaches on his shows "safe".

If, and this is where I'm trying really hard to word this nicely, people who are his supporters believe that CM's work shouldn't be implemented at home, how come so many of them are reporting that his methods worked on their dogs?

The disclaimer is so often used as a "It's okay, he's not recommending you do it at home, so his program's okay", then how come we have so many followers that aren't professional trainers?

This worries me a bit, to be honest.
if we lived in a perfect world everyone that owns a dog would be a professional,the disclaimer is simply put there so he cant get sued by people who try his method and get bitten,unfortunatley this is the world we live in,and most people who own dogs are not professional trainers,doesnt mean they are stupid or not capable of using these methods to make their life easier and their dogs life happier
I love ceasar and I use these methods on my dogs all the time I am not a professional dog trainer and my dogs are fine,happy and healthy
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
if we lived in a perfect world everyone that owns a dog would be a professional,the disclaimer is simply put there so he cant get sued by people who try his method and get bitten,unfortunatley this is the world we live in,and most people who own dogs are not professional trainers,doesnt mean they are stupid or not capable of using these methods to make their life easier and their dogs life happier
I love ceasar and I use these methods on my dogs all the time I am not a professional dog trainer and my dogs are fine,happy and healthy

I don't think you're understanding my point (probably my fault as I'm struggling to word it). My point is not against anyone who chooses to over-ride the disclaimer alone, my point is my concern that some people use the disclaimer to prove the point that CM has covered liability, and that therefore the show is safe. Now he obviously is covered legally, but your post convinces me that that argument can't be used to okay what he does.

Saying he works and offering evidence, fair enough - but the argument that it's safe because he says not to do it at home obviously falls down when people post saying they do it all at home and aren't professionals.

I don't want to upset anyone here with my views, and am trying really hard to be careful in my wording. But I do have worries about my worries *lol* - if the disclaimer was stopping untrained people carrying out dangerous techniques, we wouldn't be seeing replies such as yours.

That was me point basically. I can't word it very well, sorry.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Thank gawd someone does. My dogs don't think that they are being bribed, they don't feel used or blackmailed. I think they think I am a bit crazy, but they love WORKING for food.
I don't feel bribed when I go to someones house, spend time with them and their dog (esp when I get to play with puppies) take money and go home. It's called WORKING, you get a reward for spending your energy and time....
Dogs are not capable of "feeling" these emotions they are anthromorphic properties placed upon them by humans.

Dogs dont WORK for food, they perform tricks in order to get a treat when they have done so. My dogs work, and when they are, I can eat anything at all and they wont waver from their task, they NEVER ever come for food, nor expect it, yet they "work" without question nor reward, the reward is the job.

Just my opinion.
Dawn.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
I don't think you're understanding my point (probably my fault as I'm struggling to word it). My point is not against anyone who chooses to over-ride the disclaimer alone, my point is my concern that some people use the disclaimer to prove the point that CM has covered liability, and that therefore the show is safe. Now he obviously is covered legally, but your post convinces me that that argument can't be used to okay what he does.

Saying he works and offering evidence, fair enough - but the argument that it's safe because he says not to do it at home obviously falls down when people post saying they do it all at home and aren't professionals.

I don't want to upset anyone here with my views, and am trying really hard to be careful in my wording. But I do have worries about my worries *lol* - if the disclaimer was stopping untrained people carrying out dangerous techniques, we wouldn't be seeing replies such as yours.

That was me point basically. I can't word it very well, sorry.
we dont have to ok what he does,what he does is what thousands of people do,he trains dogs,its not rocket science,its common sense.non professionals are quite capable of taking care and training their dogs,like I said before we are not stupid just because we are not professional dog trainers.why do you think his techniques are dangerous,and as I said before the disclaimer is simply to cover his ass,thats what people have to do in america.
jeez even mcdonalds has to put on a cup of coffee,warning its hot,because someone sued them after spilling a cup.
the disclaimer means nothing and has no bearing on ceasars ability to help people and dogs alike.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
we dont have to ok what he does,what he does is what thousands of people do,he trains dogs,its not rocket science,its common sense.non professionals are quite capable of taking care and training their dogs,like I said before we are not stupid just because we are not professional dog trainers.why do you think his techniques are dangerous,and as I said before the disclaimer is simply to cover his ass,thats what people have to do in america.
jeez even mcdonalds has to put on a cup of coffee,warning its hot,because someone sued them after spilling a cup.
the disclaimer means nothing and has no bearing on ceasars ability to help people and dogs alike.
I don't think I'm making myself clear because it's obvious you're still not getting me. I completely agree that the disclaimer means nothing - it doesn't prevent anyone trying his methods. However, in the past when I have made that oint to pro CM people, they have said "More fool them for using the methods without professional help". Fair enough...until...

*Some* pro CM people that use the disclaimer in an argument to say that the dangers (which they acknowledge) of someone doing these things are ruled out by it, because you should only do it under the guidance of a professional. Then the same people (not under the guidance of a professional) say the same methods worked for them, showing they themselves ignored the disclaimer.

Am I making sense, because I'm really rubbish at trying to get my point across.
RudeDog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-01-2008, 10:53 PM
I think Ceasar methods work well. He treats the dogs how they should be treated....like dogs. The owners on the show wouldn't be on the show if they treated their dogs like dogs.

I think the most important point he get through is to be confident and define boundries with your dog.
Closed Thread
Page 17 of 70 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 67 > Last »