Our sister sites
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-12-2007, 01:24 PM

1 Kennel Club doing things correctly

At last one KC with sense
Lets hope the UK KC and all other follow this and see some sense

' That as from 1st July 2007 German Shepherd Dogs, Rottweilers, Golden Retrievers, Australian Shepherds and Labrador Retrievers will be eligible to have registered progeny if their hip score is below the recommended score.'

The same is for elbows the sire/dam will have to have less than 5mm in changes in the elbow joint (BVA 3) for progeny to be registered. Also dogs with UAP no matter the score, progeny wont be allowed registration.
The rationale is due to the inheritability factor of hip and elbow dysplasia and the impact on the outcome of progeny in hip and elbow dysplasia.
Australian National Kennel Club
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Good on them, often it just takes one to stick their neck out and make a stand. I imagine some others will follow. At least I hope so.

Dawn R.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I certainly think that if a DNA test is available then it should be compulsory because that is definitive but agree it is a very good thing to happen!
How do the Australians score hips? Is it the same as our scheme?
Becky
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2007, 04:40 PM
I would want to know the low scoring offsprings hipscores and grandchildren's hipscores.

I have used a male in my breed that was scored excellent in Spain but here has a bad hipscore. 90% of his children and grandchildren abroad have excellent hipscores. All but one over here have been well under the breed average with one for a short time having the lowest score in the country for the breed.

There is another dog though with a great hipscore but abroad and here some of his progeny have terrible scores!

Not all low scoring dogs produce low producing pups etc. sadly.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Mahooli
at present they use the BVA system but for the next 5yrs they are also using the PENN hip scheme in conjunction to compare which is the best system, they also recognise the OFA.
Perrodeagua
I realise that not all low scoring sire/dams produce low scores, people need to take account of the horizontal pedigree aswell as the vertical and check out sire and dams sibblings, other progeny etc. But if everyone scored we would be able to obtain a truer picture of overall hip and elbow status in all breeds, and reduce the incidence of high scores.