View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-08-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm OK as long as it's only two at a time. But then I am a fit 98kg and my biggest dog is about 26kg.

Mick
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Am I able to physically hold back my dog?

Yes.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-08-2012, 12:35 PM
I can hang into Dillon and he is now 50kgs. He shouldn't weigh more than 55kgs hopefully. I think like Claire says you learn a technique.
If I feel he may get to strong to handle he will go on a harness like Ollie did.
Thats why I know Dillon will be my last youngster that I know I will be able to manage anything after him is going to have to be old like me.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Am I able to physically hold back my dog?

Yes.
But she is a tiddler!
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2012, 12:48 PM
6 month old great dane at the moment yes but i will eventually use a headcollar on him if he starts to get to strong for me, my last dane 85+kgs without a headcollar no but with a headcollar yes
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Yes I can. My larger two weigh 35kgs and 28kgs. My Labrador doesn't lunge so he isn't an issue. My Slovak on the other hand is a lunger and is VERY strong (she is a tall dog with pure lean muscle) however I can still hold her at full strength on a harness.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 01:00 PM
My dog weighs in at 38 kgs and if she suddenly took off whilst onlead, she'd damage my shoulder yes, but I'd still be able to hold her. Having had two of them do this to me once, one weighing 55 kgs. I still managed to hold them, but again, I'm used to horses, I've got strong arms, and a strong will, so I didn't let them get too far ahead of me, coz once they've done that, you've had it, close is good! However, as Claire said, it's more technique, coz I have a trump card in my dog's mouth, which is her ballie on a rope, I just take hold of the rope and she aint gonna go anywhere.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Would you feel the same about say owners and their horses/bulls/cows/pigs/sheep etc?

Because I (and many other very experienced, capable riders including jockeys) have been bolted with and unable to stop our horses on occasion.

Does that mean we should not handle or ride them?

The same applies to handlers of livestock at shows.

Just a thought.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm all of 5'3" and the combined weight of the Dobermanns is 117kgs which is a sight more than me but I'm surprisingly strong and as others have said it's more down to technique. Also my dogs are not controlled by my biceps as a rule but by my voice so I'd need to be struck dumb at the same time they decided to bolt which is not going to happen to be fair.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 02:30 PM
I could easily hold back sweep, or just pick him up hahaha.

99% of the time i have no trouble with horses, but is 750kg panics and decide to run, there is no amount of chinfneys, draw reins, various bits that will help you. While I think certain people shouldn't own certain horses, it seems to be the new thing to over horse yourself, I don't think we should say we shouldn't own horses because we can't control them 100% of the time. Same with dogs imo.

Also interesting is multiple dog owners, i frequently see a lady walking who owns three pugs, a greyhound and a pondenco, if ALL of these decided to misbehave/reacted to something i doubt she'd stand all that much of a chance, although one on it's own wouldn't be a problem. I imagine just three small dogs could be a nightmare in certain situations, but should you really say you shouldn't own three pugs because there is a tiny chance you won't be able to restrain all three of them?
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »