Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2007, 01:09 AM

Treating worms and fleas in a pup?

My puppy is 4 months old, and I don't think he has worms but I have seen him scratch a few too many times for my liking. So I was wondering, is he ok to be treated for fleas at this age? He was done for worms about a month ago with his last set of jabs, so when should he be wormed again?

And one last question, which product would you advise for worming/flea treatment and where can I buy it?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-02-2007, 01:55 AM
Hi Alice fleas can infect dogs with worms, if your puppy was wormed some months ago and now has fleas it could be reinfected with worms.

To check for fleas although you may not see the actual fleas look for small black specks in the dogs coat, if you find one and put it on a wet tissue and it turns a reddish brown this is an indication of flea dirt/fleas.

I think the best place to get worm and flea treatments are from the vet, he will know what was given previously/ will be able to advise on the correct dose and frequency/ will be able to monitor your dog for side effects to the treatment .

The over the counter treatments are really not so effective.

If your dog does have fleas remember to treat the bed and surrounding area too.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2007, 04:56 PM
minihaha is right get your vet check him ,but i use frontline spray treatment for fleas,and that should protect him for 3 mths and 1 month for ticks
BC's Forever
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2007, 09:57 PM
I would take puppy to the vets and get flea/worm advise and treatment from them. As said before treatments sold over the counter are generally not very effective (the wormers will not kill all types of worms etc.)
Flea and worm treatment will be fine for your puppy at this age, just as long as you follow the guidelines given to you by your vet/nurse.
If you have seen fleas on puppy or suspect that he may have fleas it is a very good idea to treat the house aswell! Even in the winter fleas thrive in central heated conditions and although most spot ons/sprays will kill any fleas coming into contact with the dog, they will not kill the fleas harbouring in your carpets/sofas etc.