Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Ramble if I lived on my own I would!
I would let him on the bed! Unfortunately me and OH have totally different views on this.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
Ramble if I lived on my own I would!
I would let him on the bed! Unfortunately me and OH have totally different views on this.
My oH isn't keen on the dogs being upstairs...we compromised and they just don't go on the bed (well actually they do when they decide it's time to get up lol).
Is there a compromise somewhere? The crate is very cumbersome...will take up loads of room....etc etc etc
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Agree with Ramble. Get a comfy bed - Vetbed, nice & cosy for him & put somewhere in your bedroom. If he wakens you give the command - "go to bed" firmly.

At 12 months he is still a pup. Some Labs chew, they are known for it, but he will grow out of it.

You cant just buy a crate & lock him away, that will cause all amounts of stress & problems. Pups & dogs need "crate trained", you need to do it gradually

To even contemplate muzzling a pup at night or indeed anytime, makes me shudder.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:22 AM
I don't know how to highlight bits as I only use my iPod! Your last sentence velvetboxer sums up how I feel!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:37 AM
fwiw, mine are middle aged, and they all sleep in the same room as us. They too settle better.

what exercise/stimulation does he get during the day?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
I don't know how to highlight bits as I only use my iPod! Your last sentence velvetboxer sums up how I feel!
Snap Im on the iPhone. Handy wee gadgets but very fiddly
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:45 AM
I agree with the others about him sleeping in your room, or even on the landing where he can sense you are near.

If a crate is the compromise to make your OH happy that your dog is in the bedroom, I don't think that is so bad. Maybe in time you can leave the door to it open and then once your OH sees that he's not going to be a nuisance during the night, you can do away with the crate altogether.

Please do tell your OH though that muzzling a dog when you are not with it can be very dangerous. Besides that, it is not curing the problem but merely preveing the results. I'm so glad you are aware of your dog's reasons for being destructive at night.

Just one other thought - is night time the only time when he is left alone? If so, this could be a form of seperation anxiety and something that you will need to work on so that your dog can be left for short periods by himself quite happily.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:08 AM
I would think having an unsupervised dog muzzled could be dangerous. Not to mention you can't just stick the muzzle on the dog and expect it to happily except it so you'd have to put up with more chewing while you desensitized to the muzzle anyway.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Put his bed in your bedroom . He will sleep all night and have no need for a muzzle .
Yup!
Why on earth are you shutting the dog in a cupboard?! It sounds like stress chewing to me.
Dogs are social animals. Being shut up alone in a small dark space must be nightmarish for them .
jmo
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 11:28 AM
I agree with what has already been said - NO WAY to a muzzle on your dog overnight and definitely have him sleep in your room. If you want a compromise with your OH, then buy a crate for the bedroom, with a comfy fleecy vetbed in for him to sleep on and a chew toy, and leave the door open. With some encouragement, your dog should start sleeping in the crate of his own accord and there will be no need to close the door.

I agree with Ramble that your dog sounds distressed by being shut in what sounds like a small, cramped environment - and I am sure you will eliminate the chewing problem by having him sleep in your room.

What amount of exercise/stimulation is he getting throughout the day? A tired dog is a happy dog, who should sleep through the night without any probs.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >