Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
No but domestic dogs in numbers (anything from 2+) do the same thing as wild dogs

I never said there was anything wrong with people stopping it.. I completely agree with you, that big dogs do need some curbing of manners but it doesn't mean that my dog has to learn the same manners. I wasn't trying to start an argument, honestly, I apologise for Louie jumping up, he rarely does it unless extremely excited anyway so I guess my problem is a little different to yours.
Sorry not read right through yet but I'd say it dosnt matter what size the dog is, people do have a right to walk without a dog, with a dog whatever, and not be jumped on - no matter of size. Personally I hate getting my legs clawed by little dogs and people think its ok - because they are small and its natural? I accept that young/very playful dogs do not mean harm by it and that it isnt always so easy for people to stop so wouldnt necessarily raise the issue with people but at the same time dont think they should think its ok! My own dog dosnt jump all over me and other people so I dont expect to let/have other dogs jumping on me and be told its natural. You do have a point when you say you dont have to train the same manners as other people, when it comes to your dogs, but be wary of that. If he jumps on someone with Osteoporosis (sp?) and they fall and break a bone you might just lose your dog. Sorry just being 'real' about it.

Apologies if I'm way off here due to having not read all the way through the thread yet.

Also, some dogs WONT accept a greeting like that, if two dogs that know each other greet each other like that and are happy about it, thats up to them but I'm not a dog so dont want to be lol
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Watching the liver coloured pointer on Crufts last night it did cross my mind that I bet he gets a lot of people talking to him about his "Dobe"! Was an unusual colour for as GSP I think.
funny you should say that - apparently my dobe is a GSP
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by MINIMUM View Post
'does she run fast?' I was asked by a man, while walking my greyhound
haha, love it

I was told by kids in the park that my dog was a lurcher, I explained, no he is a dobermann, they said but hes a hunting dog. No, he isnt a hunting dog, hes a pet and he is a dobermann, hmm, yes he says, but he hasnt got a tail. I said, I know, because he was docked but he is a dobermann. The dog went for a run, the boy says thats it, hes a lurcher. Again, no he is a dobermann. No he's a lurcher, I know that because only hunting dogs can be docked now and he runs really fast! Yep, hes a lurcher!

I gave in. smiled and said, yes he is fast.

I wasnt going to win
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 05:38 PM
The madness continues.

Today at the park I was earnestly informed by a GSD owner that my dog 'must be a Lab X, because he's too big/tall to be a 'pure' Lab.'

Right....

Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Isis Always had a pink lead n collar on,
Oh thats a pretty boy, is he blind (bi eyed), why would u put a pink collar on a male dog, wont he get a complex?
Granted Isis is a bit butch but i never worried about giving er a complex

Shila again always gets that a lovely looking boy, (shila is very feminine and has a pink lead) Oh that husky shouldn't be off lead she'll run away (in no way resembles a husky), Shila having a poo once got your dogs not very well its poo is the wrong colour! (it was brown like usual lol)

Both together i used to get the usual small person big dog comments, dont know how u can walk them both together, dont no how u dare let them off lead together blah blah blah.

Brill thread x
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 04:42 PM
I was out today with my two and saw some people approaching with lots of little offlead dogs (Dacshunds) so i put my two on lead. I heard the woman say "makes you wonder why they've been out on lead" but no attempt to put her dogs on lead whatsoever, so i shouted out "i'm putting my dogs on lead because your dogs are little" and as i got up to her i explained that some sighthounds can mistake very small dogs for rabbits etc so i them on lead as a precaution - she didn't have a fekking clue what i was talking about, it annoys me when i feel the onus is on me all the time and people with little tiny dogs think its ok to just let them carry on as usual like they have no responsibility at all
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
The madness continues.

Today at the park I was earnestly informed by a GSD owner that my dog 'must be a Lab X, because he's too big/tall to be a 'pure' Lab.'
He's lovely and looks very like a very tall lab I used to own many years ago. He was definitely all lab because I had the papers to prove it!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
He's lovely and looks very like a very tall lab I used to own many years ago. He was definitely all lab because I had the papers to prove it!

Thank you very much

You've made me smile
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:57 PM
The best one I've gotten was 'is he a pitbull'... Yeah, a really pointy one
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
Isis Always had a pink lead n collar on,
Oh thats a pretty boy, is he blind (bi eyed), why would u put a pink collar on a male dog, wont he get a complex?
Granted Isis is a bit butch but i never worried about giving er a complex

Shila again always gets that a lovely looking boy, (shila is very feminine and has a pink lead) Oh that husky shouldn't be off lead she'll run away (in no way resembles a husky), Shila having a poo once got your dogs not very well its poo is the wrong colour! (it was brown like usual lol)

Both together i used to get the usual small person big dog comments, dont know how u can walk them both together, dont no how u dare let them off lead together blah blah blah.

Brill thread x
Ive had that with mine, 'dont know how you manage' 'well done, a big dog like that on your own' 'bet he takes some walking' I dont get it - is there something small and non-dog owners know about big dogs that we dont? Like some disaterous activity waiting to happen ? What is it they do that small dogs dont?

btw Tabitha - deffo a lab lol
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7