View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 05:48 PM
I had a lady walking her dog in the opposite direction past us say to someone on the other end of her phone that there was 'an absolute tank of a dog coming towards her'. I loved it, summed Max up so nicely!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I'll get OH to drive me over to where you are and I'll give you some funny comments - just so you can answer in this thread Seeing as I am only 10 minutes away atm Where do you walk anyway?
I will send you a PM
MINIMUM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2011, 07:53 PM
'does she run fast?' I was asked by a man, while walking my greyhound
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 08:21 PM
People are often guessing my dogs' breed as they are as rare as hen's teeth so I'm not too fussed if they say Schnauzer. However, I do find it unbelievable the people who have asked me if Cherry is a Scottie! She is about the same size as a Springer spaniel and has long legs so how anyone could think she was a Scottie I really don't know!

I am tempted to be rude and say "Yes but her breeder rehomed her as her legs kept growing" but I haven't dared say this yet!

I did start saying they were "Hungarian haemorrhoid hounds" to people who asked me "is it a French Poodle" (!)

They would then nod wisely and walk away.

I did have a strange encounter when an older lady stopped and stared at Cherry when I was walking her on the heath one day. She said to me "she looks a right little *ugger* but nice with it" I said "Yes-you've summed her up perfectly!"

Wasn't it Shakespeare who said "there's no art to find the mind's construction in the face" but I guess he wasn't talking about dogs!

By the way, talking about dogs jumping up, a lady who had just come out of hospital from falling down an escalator was knocked over by a large Black Lab. She was not too chuffed about this as you can imagine.

I taught Parker a jumping up command in heelwork to music class where he jumped up and placed his paws on my waist whilst I turned around. The next day on the heath he did the same move on another dog walker! oops-very embarassing and I didn't teach him that move again as I had him 6 years before this and he never jumped up anyone before that. Cherry does jump up me and I like it as she is quite tall and long and can reach quite high (had small dogs before) and she smiles at you. She is always on a lead though so wouldn't have the opportunuty to jump up anyone else, nor has she ever tried. I just have to accept that I can't grumble at her for jumping up at me when her paws are muddy though!
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 08:22 PM
(About border collies) "They come half trained" when my dog was doing as he was told and theirs was totally ignoring them. Nope, I just train mine.

From a child to her mum, "why isn't that one black and white"? Made me smile.

My friend with the two standard poodles is quite short and petite, she would be rich if she had a £1 for each "how do you manage those" or "they're nearly as big as you" or "you could ride one of them"
mumof5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2011, 05:04 PM
i tend to attract the 'weird walkers' and often get comments that i just have to giggle at.

recently i got asked when my dog will change to the real colour and when will his tail fall off (he is a brown Dobermann)

i got asked why would i want to own more than one dog, you only need one to scare people
musky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2011, 11:05 PM
This thread has made my night I've just sat here laughing so much,

Today on our walk with my three, i met my neighbour out walking her dog, she said "oh dear do they all have to be muzzled don't they get on together" {I was walking my three with head collars on} I tried to explain, but i still don't think she quite understood

then the last couple of months quite a few people on our walk has asked me if Megan my newfy pup is a Labrador

and when i had a white GSD lots of people used to ask if she was alright and was she deaf

years ago I had a rottie called max and he had his complete tail and i was told by a very strange couple, who was meant to be experts {I'm not sure what in} that "he cannot be a full pedigree Rottweiler with a large long tail" they said "oh he must be a cross"
JuliePup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2011, 06:15 PM
LOL, I have a 6 year old dobie/black & tan coonhound mix (so he is black and tan in color, of course). Our newest puppy is a black and tan chihuahua. A very small chihuahua, at that. I was walking the two of them together one day, and in like a half hour's time, i was asked by 6 different people if Tyson (the chihuahua) was Sammy's (the hound mix) puppy, and one lady said to her husband, "ohhh honey, look, it's a daddy doggy and his puppy!" They got closer, and the lady and her husband both grimaced down at Tyson and the lady said, "well why on earth is that puppy so horribly small? He must be malnourished or something, how awfull!!" She looked at me and said "you should feed that poor thing more, young lady! Just awfull!!!" I had to fight to hold back my laughter as they stormed away in a tizy. I now find it easier to just let people come to their own conclusions and see how far it goes, instead of trying to explain things to them. They never believe me anyways lol.

oh, some people......
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I recently was asked
" How do you keep such an old dog so fit?" .......He's a four year old blue Merle border collie

" Is he an Alsatian?".... Nope same border collie

" How does he catch his ball if he's blind?".... Nope not blind just two half blue eyes.

Made me smile if nothing else!
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
Of a harlequin Great Dane, "What a lovely Dalmatian"

Oh no say I, Dalmatians aren't this big.

"I've seen Dalmatians bigger than that" says the breed expert.

Gee I wish I'd seen those Dalmatians.

Tego was 39" at the shoulder.
LOL I love those ones. "I used to have a German Shepherd who was a bit taller than him." Don't think so buddy!
I've been told that there were rotties bigger, GSD's and one bull mastiff. LOL

As for the "horse" comments...or the saddle ones. I usually take my mp4 player with me on walks now...after over a year of stopping every five feet to listen to the same comments and crowds of people wanting to circle around Luke and get in his face, I just turn up the tunes and walk on by. Especially since most of the people in my neighborhood are total tools

Oh I also had a few "is he pure? His ears aren't cut. Or he's black, he must be a mix". Where we lived before though people were smarter, and more considerate. They stopped thinking he was a lab at five months, when he was already towering over their full grown labs lol
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >