Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
This thread is so funny

I personally dont think dogs should be allowed to jump up at anyone. Jake used to do it all the time, and i wouldnt let him... i hated when people said 'oh, its ok'... it might have been ok for them, but it wasnt for me. One of Jakes doggy friends jumps up at people all the time... she jumped up on another dog walker and hit his knee. The poor guy had a few months before broken his knee, gone through surgery and has had several months of physio and been unable to work. Anyway, after she jumped up and hit his knee, he squealed in pain and it got all bruised and sore for a few days. OK, so its not common to meet people with broken knees on a walk but you just dont know who you will come across and it quite often isnt appropriate for dogs to jump up at people. I certainly dont like dogs who i do not know jumping at me, and that doesnt matter what i am wearing.

I nearly gave a woman a mouthful in the park last week coz her dog (a big lab) came bowling over to us, and started jumping in my 7 year old nephews face! My nephew was ok about it, but if that happened 2 years ago he wouldve been terrified and ran out the park.

You might not want to change your dogs behaviour coz other people dont like it, but its consideration for others and the fact that they may have personal reasons for not wanting a dog jumping at them.

JMO.

You've just described my nightmare scenario!

This is precisely why I always have Dex on a long line now. The second anyone appears in the distance, I can grab the line and stop Dexter from hurtling towards them and/or jumping at them.

When Dex first came to us and I didn't know he had a terrible habit of jumping, I was walking him just in the street and he suddenly leaped up at a woman passing by. She SCREAMED like you wouldn't believe and then started crying - turned out she was scared of dogs...

I felt so awful, and since then I've been totally tough on Dex when it comes to jumping.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I sometimes meet a lady with a little wire-haired terrier who's not very keen on many other dogs, is food aggressive & will chase off any dogs that go to near his owner. But for some reason this little dog just adores my dogs & me. He comes racing over to round us up & usher us towards his owner whenever he see us. Then he rushes round ecstatically in circles, eventually falling to ground quivering in excitement ~ always brings a smile to my face.

The owner is a lovely lady but completely batty ~ she told me the other night that she sings her dog to sleep with little stories about Barney & Wilma, & that she makes up ditties using the names of all people & dogs he likes. But sadly one of his friends died the other week, & when she got to the part where she says this dog's name, she could swear a tear came to his eye Bless her!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Some older woman came over one day and went "He should be on a calendar" and then walked off. She smiled, but it was so out the blue
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Ahh Sadie always gets "Shes young aint she" No she's 9 and Louie always gets "He's around 3 years right?" No he's 10 months
Dahlia has gotten, more than once "Newfie puppy?" Um no...fully grown border collie mix who's about 5 years old. But close!

I guess at least she's black and fuzzy?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Ahh Sadie always gets "Shes young aint she" No she's 9 and Louie always gets "He's around 3 years right?" No he's 10 months
I've had that with my last doggy, the guy obviously knew a bit about GSDs, but he kept saying "She's only a pup isn't she?" and I told him that no, she was about 3. "Hm, I'd say probably more like 10 months..". Err, hello, I'd owned this dog since she could fit on my lap, I may have possibly been a few weeks out as we got her "second hand" from someone who'd got fed up of her after a few weeks, but other than that I think I knew how old she was
ume chika
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2011, 03:28 PM
i was told off for calling my jack pretty and sweet, he cant be pretty this woman stated, i asked why not, i assumed it was staffy predjudice, but she said, hes a boy, hes handsome not pretty!. i just smiled as i dont really see the difference with dogs.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Oh tons for me. I've been told Rio is definitely an Alsatian, my EMDs can't be the same breed coz they're a different colour, Dan is a chow chow because his tail is furry....

Oh and 'little and large' all the time, 'from the sublime to the ridiculous' etc etc. 'it's amazing how the big ones don't kill the small one'. 'Don't go near those dogs, they'll eat you for breakfast'.

and from my own in laws...' Dandy looks so ferocious, I wouldn't go near him if I didn't know him'
Also my FIL can't tell the difference between Dan and Rio - he always asks which is which, and which one is the girl.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
In a land of no other dog walkers it seems!!

Seriously I have just got back from a walk and saw not another living soul Which is kind of disappointing as I must look a right mad woman with 3 small dogs on my left who have turned their leads into a maypole and 1 enormous dog on my right, whistle round my neck and a pink pouch full of treats hanging from my trousers..........I want some funny comments!!!
I'll get OH to drive me over to where you are and I'll give you some funny comments - just so you can answer in this thread Seeing as I am only 10 minutes away atm Where do you walk anyway?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Someone asked if my 38kg boxer was the runt of the litter because he was white...
Also had someome say that the brindle patch on his tale would have made an ideal cut here line ..
On the plus side some random lady thanked me for not docking them..
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 05:47 PM
A lady told me that her dog didn't like other dogs, but that she thought she was playing with the male dog that was following them....
This was when said male and female were tied and the lady had just told me she was at the end of her season.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >