View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:10 PM

Most bizarre/hilarious remark a fellow dog owner has ever made to you?

LOL - am starting to think that my local park is full of fruitcakes!

Yesterday I took Dex there for an hour and a half. Because his recall is still a work in progress, I kept him on a 7 ft flexi the whole time, as our trainer has shown me how this can be used to practise recall while still giving Dex more freedom.

Another dog owner who I chat with sometimes, looked at us, and then in front of a group of other people told me in a VERY critical tone:

'Oh goodness look - all these dogs, off lead! Yours is the only dog on a leash!!'.

Er, yes, because I do not want my dog to indulge in his delightful habit of hurtling over to any and every dog that he spies in the distance!!!!!!

Then we met another woman with a gorgeous Tibetan Terrier - who kept jumping up and nipping me. She asked me to 'please understand' that her dog is 'only a puppy' - but surely at eight months a dog should be taught not to nip??????

Finally we had the man with the Golden Retriever who looked stunned when I stopped Dex from jumping up at him.
'But it's NATURAL for dogs to jump!' he protested.

I am so tired of having to politely explain to people that I am trying to stop Dex from leaping at people! He's already injured three people by doing it - me included. Strange that so many fellow dog owners don't understand, isn't it?

Any mad or funny comments made to you by fellow dog owners?
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:13 PM
I was once asked in pets at home, when taking Cooper in there if he could see as she thought the Dalmatians with the patches were blind
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I was once asked in pets at home, when taking Cooper in there if he could see as she thought the Dalmatians with the patches were blind

Oh my.....

OK, so far you win!!!!!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Stranger pointing to Oscar: "Oh I have one of those, is it a Spinone?"

Err, well if you own one surely you'd know what breed it is?!
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:36 PM
I just get the usual with Jasper "omg its a pony" "u should put a saddle on him" "wow u could ride him"
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Of a harlequin Great Dane, "What a lovely Dalmatian"

Oh no say I, Dalmatians aren't this big.

"I've seen Dalmatians bigger than that" says the breed expert.

Gee I wish I'd seen those Dalmatians.

Tego was 39" at the shoulder.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
Of a harlequin Great Dane, "What a lovely Dalmatian"

Oh no say I, Dalmatians aren't this big.

"I've seen Dalmatians bigger than that" says the breed expert.

Gee I wish I'd seen those Dalmatians.

Tego was 39" at the shoulder.

Love it, that is hilarious.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 01:34 AM
Once out on a walk, Dahlia and I met up with a young man and his Rottweiler, Bentley. They had just moved into the neighborhood and so we didn't know them before this. Dahlia was desperate to meet Bentley and I said something like "Relax girl" and his response, as he opted to let Bentley meet Dahlia was something along this line:

"Oh she's a girl? He likes girls. He still has his balls."

My face was like
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 01:37 AM
Oh and another one.

Some woman at a pet store came up and said "Your dog is so pretty. Does she shed a lot."

I, of course, told her that yes she does blow her coat and shed all over the place.

She then said "Oh, I wouldn't have one of those in my house" and walked away in a huff. Like my dog was suddenly offensive to her! It was so strange.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Just off the top of my head - there is quite a few

Met a couple in PAH car park - noticed the dogs in the back of the car. "Oh you like White Boxers then" similingly replied yes, " They all have defects and you cant show them" - grit teeth, explain there was nothing wrong with White Boxers, they were only white dogs - could see they were not even 1% convinced. "If you had a coloured Boxer you would see they were better" Was about to explain that the said coloured [red/white] Boxer was asleep in the back of the car lying down when up popped her head "Oh my god theres another one" exclaimed the husband "You have 3, you have 3 Boxers"....... the conversation went downhill after that and I made my excuses to get in the car and drive off

Two young boys outside the local village shop looking at the dogs in the back of the car when Harvey was a pup
The smallest obviously knew it all

"Oh look at them, must be dalmations as them two got spots. Look theres the mum [pointing at Katie] and that big one [pointing at red/white Rosie] must be the dad"

Then a classic one when my sister in law exclaimed that she had never seen a Boxer [Harvey] with spots and was I sure that he was full bred and not crossed with a Dalmation!!

There has been so many over the years -
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »