View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I think huskies/malutmutes (Snow dog breeds) are definitely on the up in the the past year or so. It seems to be lots of people who are really unsuitable have them.. They think there the type of dog which is fine to keep in a house alone, and is fine to be let off the lead in a field then wonders why it won't come back.
I just keep seeing more and more people with huskys, out on walks, down at the vets, tied up outside shops... Everywhere. A great breed of dog, marvellous and under control in the right hands with an owner that can give it everything it needs, but a complete nightmare with the typical "little britain family" down the road >_< They get them as cute fluffy little puppies with iddy biddy sharp teeth, but then they grow into big furry monsters which like to chew tv remotes and can moult for england and yes... they do sometimes pull on the lead when they are not trained in the right way. Takes many people who don't do there reserach by surprise!
on a Side note i got really annoyed with a typical little britain huskey dog owner over the park the other day, They had a beautiful husky off the lead - which bounded over to say hi. This wasn't a problem as it was friendly albeit excited and jumpy however........ It had a huge metal prong collar stuck around its neck. I mean... What words can I say to this person except imagine sticking it around his neck and giving it a good tug! -_- Or maybe... putting a rope on the end and trailing him round the back of my car. Sorry, It just really got to me!

Obviously Bullbreeds are probably one of the most popular at the moment, You have just got to look at the massive crisis in most rescues where a high percentage are either staffies, or staffie crosses.

I guess another breed which is becoming more popular lately are the "doodle" dogs. Gotta love them! Its weird though, I see lots of doodle dogs.. But not many Poodles! Maybe I just don't look hard enough or in the right places.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2010, 11:28 AM
last year i was notici more border terrirs this year every other dog is a springer!! i just hope people have thought about what they are taking on before they go and get one.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I'd never seem a Hungarian Visla before Yogi won Crufts now there are a ton around here....all less than two years old. Hmmmm, I wonder what influenced that....?! Luckily they are lovely dogs and all I've met seem well looked after so have it better than status dogs.
The HV is a breed that has been rising in popularity for a few yrs now, nothing to do with Yogi, but sadly with this comes very poor breeding, you are getting some very funny looking HV around today, along with "iffy " temperaments.

I can remember about 9 yrs ago, when my friend was showing hers, you would get about 3/4/6 in a class, nowadays you will see classes of up to 25 plus

That is not good for any breed.

Luckily the Wire haired are not as popular, but still see a rise in numbers there.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Weimaraners seem to be far more popular, perhaps partly because the breed has been used in various ad campaigns.

Hungarian Vizlas also seem more popular; in my local park alone there are around four.

After 'Marley' yellow Labs - already popular - became 'the' dog of choice, probably just like Rough Collies were popular when the 'Lassie' films first came out.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Those KC statistics are interesting. I see Rotties have plunged - which leads me to suspect that the `home breeders` (who don`t register) are taking up the slack, because there seem to be a lot around?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Actually if you look at the figures Annual Registrations for Weimaraners have gone down and they non longer appear in the Top 20 breeds.

45k labs were kc registererd annually on average long before the Marley film came out which was, anyhow, superseded in this country by decades of Andrex labs!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Dalmatians became very popular round here after the 101 dallies film came out, I have never seen so many of the same breed of puppy suddenly being walked you couldn't go anywhere without seeing one. They disappeared just as quickly at about 18 months/two years old too
ronnie
New Member!
Male 

31-12-2010, 12:14 PM
round my area border collies are in abundance compared to a couple of years ago maybe cause they are easy to teach and they can learn any thing you ask.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 12:17 PM
No, they pop out of the womb ready trained!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No, they pop out of the womb ready trained!
Oh really, can I have one
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »