Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Agility-mongrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2008, 10:34 AM

Lucher-not eating enough

Hi, Myrtle is 10 months old now and is on Beta dry food (mixed with a bit of ND). The problem is that it seems to fill her up before she's finished - she only eats about 1/3 of it. I want to change her on to one that she can fit in her little tummy! As a Lurcher, I know she's better off on the slighter side, but I want to ensure she's getting the right amount of nutrition. Also, given the opportunity, Dan will finish it and he gets the squits on anything dry and his weight easily gets on the high side! Which food could I try her on (they have 2 meals / day) that won't over-fill her? Unfortunately money is an issue too...
Thanks, Jo
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 07:06 PM
I would suggest Vitalin Original, it was developed initially for racing greyhounds and working dogs, it`s easily digestible, no colours or additives,you just add water so it`s like a porridge consistency but its`nt at all `heavy`.
It might be that your Lurcher is feeling full before eating enough because dry food expands in the tum from normal body fluids so might just be too stodgy for her perhaps ?
My Lurcher is on Vitalin Original, [ as are all my crew, BCs and BC x JRT ], he looks terrific on it

http://www.vitalinpetfood.co.uk/original.htm

Ingredients are on the product page so you can check them in case of any allergies and you can ring them for a free sample to try her with initially

Its also very inexpensive at around £10/£11 a sack depending on where you get it from - bonus

[ Of course do check with the vet if there is any possibility of a medical problem causing her to not have too good an appetite }
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I would suggest Vitalin Original, it was developed initially for racing greyhounds and working dogs, it`s easily digestible, no colours or additives,you just add water so it`s like a porridge consistency but its`nt at all `heavy`.
It might be that your Lurcher is feeling full before eating enough because dry food expands in the tum from normal body fluids so might just be too stodgy for her perhaps ?
My Lurcher is on Vitalin Original, [ as are all my crew, BCs and BC x JRT ], he looks terrific on it

http://www.vitalinpetfood.co.uk/original.htm

Ingredients are on the product page so you can check them in case of any allergies and you can ring them for a free sample to try her with initially

Its also very inexpensive at around £10/£11 a sack depending on where you get it from - bonus

[ Of course do check with the vet if there is any possibility of a medical problem causing her to not have too good an appetite }

I have a very skinny lurcher I may try this food.
What are the poos like I always imagine very sloppy with muesli type food.
Please say your has lovely firm poo.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
My girl is on Hills lamb and rice, she has a very dodgy tum though and has no tolerance to change or poulty proteins. We have problems keeping weight OFF our girl! She is such a dustbin and a thief if given the chance!.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
I have a very skinny lurcher I may try this food.
What are the poos like I always imagine very sloppy with muesli type food.
Please say your has lovely firm poo.

They are pretty normal, just a slightly lighter colour than when they`ve had different [ biscuit ] type foods, but it`s not sloppy as it`s quite fibrous, no probs for poop bagging
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Hi, I'm not much good with food types as I feed raw, however, if you want to get more food into her I would put her back onto 3 meals a day temporarily, until her stomach can handle more food.

Patch is right about the food expanding in the stomach too - there is a new wave of thought that now suggests soaking kibble first so that it is easier on the body.... here's an article on it by a well respected pet nutritionist.....

Contrary to what many people think and pet food companies claim, dogs (and cats) do not know instinctively how much extra water they have to drink to make up for what is lacking in the dry food. This is why I so highly recommend that people always add water to the kibble at feeding time.

Sabine Contreras, Canine Care & Nutrition Consultant
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....e=protein_myth
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Is your dog too skinny?? Some dogs just dont seem to need as much food as others
If they need weight on then deff increase the number of meals - but only increase the amount a tiny bit (so if she hasnt been eating all you have been given only offer slightly more than she has been eating spred over 3 meal and then increase it till you are happy) - lots of dogs get the squits if they get too big an increase in food

The vet check is a good idea too as some deficiencies cause a lack of apitite

I know lots of people swear by raw mince and egg for one meal a day to build a dog up (thats the non raw feeders)

It is possible that this food or dry food just does not suit your dog - goodness knows I struggled with Ben from 4 months till 8 months with at most him eating about 1/4 what the pack said
he was surviving - but in desperation I moved him onto raw and he eats everything I put down for him (he is still a lean dog but just looks healthier - interesting that no matter what he eats he does not gain any weight - wish that was me!!)
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
but only increase the amount a tiny bit (so if she hasnt been eating all you have been given only offer slightly more than she has been eating spred over 3 meal and then increase it till you are happy) - lots of dogs get the squits if they get too big an increase in food
Yes, good point - I should have mentioned that!