Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MGB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2014, 10:29 PM

Vaccinations. All, some, or none?

Hi dog lovers , Im looking for peoples opinions on vaccinating your dogs. I understand many people have a very passionate unwavering stance one way or the other, and that's totally fine.
My personal opinion (and im always more then willing to hear other peoples sides of this..) is that a fair amount of the vaccinations that the vet/kennels/dog parks etc require are a little over the top. It seems we are over-vaccinating our pets and that could lead to its own serious health issues. Now im not refuting that SOME are necessary.. my dogs have the Vaccines/Boosters I deem necessary. They all had their first round of puppy shots, rabies etc. However I do not think its necessary to have yearly boosters for all of these! I think that is over kill and would just destroy my dogs' natural immune defenses. Not to mention all the combined shots the vets come up with now a days. For instance, my vet wanted to do rabies, combination, parvo and one other (I don't remember which) all at once for my youngest puppy. After doing countless hours of research I found out rabies is not to be given within 3 weeks of ANY other shots or the risk of complications is huge. And my vet, someone I am trusting the health of my dog with! wanted to give him all of them in one day. That scares me..
Im just curious if any other pet parents out there agree? Do you pick and choose vaccinations? Do you go with all of the ones the vet recommends and the schedules they want them on?
Whatever you do, what is your reason behind the choice? I have plenty of reasons behind my decision regarding vaccines, but I will say that what caused me to look into and question how safe they are, was;
when I was a baby with my first infant vaccines I got horribly ill.. with the second round of shots I was actually paralyzed (temporarily thank god!) on the whole left side of my body. My parents immediately stopped vaccines and more then 20 years later I am healthier then many of my peers who HAVE been vaccinated.
I should also add in here that my dogs are all very healthy, happy and well cared for boys. My vaccine preferences have not had any negative effect on them and I don't ever expect them to .
Thanks for your time and answers/opinions!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-12-2014, 10:45 PM
My dog has yearly boosters - my decision as there are too many unvaccinated stray dogs around.

She also has yearly rabies shots, which are mandatory here although again too many dogs do not have them.

She has never had a reaction to any of them, even though she is epileptic.

Just as I would never have a human baby not vaccinated against all possible diseases, neither would I not vaccinate a dog.

But that is just my decision and my choice, and I do not expect everyone to do the same.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2014, 02:13 AM
Per the contract I signed when I got Nigredo, he gets these vaccinations every year. I was stupid to agree to this, but nothing was going to keep me from my puppy that day.

We follow the rules as they do check (they may also check your home twice a year at random) and if they find you in breach, they take legal action to get the dog back from you:

Corona
Distemper
Rabies (legally required for all dogs)
Bordatella
Parvo
Leptospirosis
Para-Influenza
Hepatitis

It is expensive as crap, as well, but we've found a place that only charges $150 for them all, plus $35 for an exam.

Jade gets only the rabies every 3 years. The lepto is recommended for young dogs here since we live near a wooded area, but I don't think it's needed. I don't think most of that other stuff is needed, either.

My last dog only got the rabies and he lived a long and healthy life. For sure, I believe some of (if not many of) the vaccinations are not necessary.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-12-2014, 08:55 AM
I'm in a similar situation to Malka in the respect of Rabies vaccinations.

By law in Hungary every dog has to be vaccinated for Rabies every year. (Vets don't give the 3 year vaccine due to the number of dogs that come over the borders). Failure to do so results in a heavy fine and your dog impounded and placed in quarantine for several weeks). My vet who's vaccinated all 4 of my puppies won't give the Rabies jab until 3 weeks after the the last lot of vaccinations but again by law, all puppies have to be vaccinated for Rabies by the age of 16 weeks.

If I wish to travel abroad, especially to the UK with my dogs and cat, their Pet Passports have to be up to date otherwise Border Control won't allow them into the country
and they'll be placed in quarantine.

As for the other vaccinations, again my feeling are similar to Malka's in that we have so many stray dogs who haven't received the recommended vaccinations that I prefer my dogs and cat to have their booster vacs.
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Once the puppy shots and first booster are done, I vaccinate every three years, using vaccines labelled for 3 years. These satisfy legal requirements (in most if not all US states) as well as complying with recommendations of the veterinary association. I have yet to encounter a park or kennel that does not recognize them.
I do rabies, plus a five disease combo. What you need to vaccinate for should be determined in conjunction with a local vet, as diseases vary with locale. Parvo and distemper are a must everywhere.

Recommended protocal in the US and Australia at least, no longer considers annual vaccination necessary for core vaccines. Some diseases, eg., kennel cough, need more frequent updates. It appears likely that some vaccines are good for five years or more, perhaps for life, and it is reasonable to stop giving core vaccines to dogs reaching, say 10 years of age.

See, eg., http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/s..._protocols.cfm

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2014/08/rou...sed-decisions/

and links therein
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-12-2014, 09:51 PM
I give the puppy boosters (DHPP) and rabies, then only rabies every 3 years as required by law.
I do not give bortadella unless I will be boarding which is very rare, maybe only 2-3 times in my whole pet ownership life thus far
I have had to repeat myself often when the vet would call to give a reminder for vaccines. I asked if t was a 3-year, they said yes but it's recommended to do every year. Again I asked if it was a 3-year and they said yes again, so I said, see you in 2 years then thank you. They have never bugged me to over-vaccinate ever again after the conversation. If the rabies wasn't required by law max. every 3 years, I would take them in even less. I stop vaccinating overall at 9-10 years.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2014, 10:01 PM
I agree big time that dogs near 8+ really no longer need the vaccination packages in most cases and they cause more harm than help at that age.

I must do the rabies anyway, because it's the law and your dog can be taken and quarantined with huge fines if they find you in violation of this law. I do not even use the flea drops and the other chemicals on older dogs, I find alternative methods.

Nigredo and I do go to dog parks and also places where other dogs are (we do volunteer therapy) and we have also been to a few group training sessions, so he does have to get the nasal Bordatella, but I don't think he needs the rest of those vaccinations.

But they said I can get him less after he is two, so next year maybe he won't get all that garbage.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2014, 10:06 PM
I agree with you, Kimberley - use circumspection when looking at vaccines, and each component.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-12-2014, 04:55 AM
More the question is, do you think you are being a responsible dog owner by not having the vaccine jabs annually. We don't have rabies here in the uk so that is not an issue unless taking the dog abroad,( we have a pet passport scheme for proof of vacinations)
Take a look at dogs that have contracted any of the above then ask yourself the same question.
Unless your dog has an auto immune system then definately yes have the jabs and take the vets advice, unless you are qualified to know better
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-12-2014, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
More the question is, do you think you are being a responsible dog owner by not having the vaccine jabs annually. We don't have rabies here in the uk so that is not an issue unless taking the dog abroad,( we have a pet passport scheme for proof of vacinations)
Take a look at dogs that have contracted any of the above then ask yourself the same question.
Unless your dog has an auto immune system then definately yes have the jabs and take the vets advice, unless you are qualified to know better
Responsible kennel owners here will not accept a dog even for emergency kenneling unless you show a Vets card proving that the dog has has all vaccinations. And in this Country they need to be yearly.

The same goes for even a few hours of daycare.

Oh, and the kennel owners must know and trust the Vet who has signed the card before the dog [or cat] is permitted on the premises. I would not even be permitted to take my dog with me when I go to their large store, even though it is well away from their boarding area, let alone take her into the store with me, if they were not 100% certain that she has always had all her vaccinations.

The cost for annual vaccinations is nominal. The cost for annual rabies shots is even less, especially if the dog has been spayed/neutered. And rabies shots are only legal if given by a Local Authority vet, not a private vet - and our LA vet never charges me when he comes here to give the rabies shot.

It is not the money. It is keeping YOUR dog or cat safe from diseases that OTHER people do not bother having their dogs or cats vaccinated against.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >