Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-05-2009, 03:35 AM

Now a viable alternative!

http://www.freeformdynamics.com/fullarticle.asp?aid=678

Focusing on business use but makes the point that native Linux applications are a useable replacement for the proprietary solutions most people will be familiar with.

Also interesting is that Linux's better security isn't a major factor in the decision to migrate, cost savings being the number 1 reason. However, in a less formal survey I saw aimed more at home users results indicated that the average Linux user spends £0 on malware protection and is far less likely to be concerned about their system being compromised than Windows users.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 06:04 AM
I have also heard that Linus is a much safer system - a couple of guys at work have it on their home PCs.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Yup, it's pretty bulletproof as installed by default & you can make it even more secure. The American NSA developed a sort of add on 'application' called SELinux. With that on top of the standard features I'd say any cracker or virus writer would have no chance!