Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 11:26 PM

Extra Water Intake....Could It Be The Salt

I was just wondering if Chances extra water intake could be due to too much salt in his treats.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi Aussiegreek has there been a sudden change in Chances consumption of water, if so have you recently changed his treats or food or has the weather become much hotter ?.

Any increase in water consumption that is not related to a change in diet should be investigated by the vet because it can be an indication of a number of medical conditions. (switching from ordinary food to a dehydrated complete food leads to an increased intake of water) .

It is not necessary to add salt to a dogs food (though I guess it is sometimes added as a preservative) and treats with lots of additives of any kind are best avoided.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 01:54 AM
^what mini said.

Also, anecdotally, my dog is always very thirsty after a training session, I believe, because of the treats. Just like you and me, after eating, you want a drink to wash it down. Of course, I don't know when Chance is thirsty, so this might be a moot point.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 11:45 AM
No, Chance has had a water problem since Ive had him. Ive just been trying to figure it out. My vet says that its just behavioral. But a lady that I talked to said that she has to watch her dogs salt intake (per the vet) because its causeing him to have a large water intake, which can be a bigger problem. So I got to thinking that I havent watched it at all. And some of the treats that I have been giving him for training and stuff are the ones that she has to stay away from. Just was wondering what ya'll thought about it. (sry I didnt give this much detail in the begining.)
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-06-2007, 07:21 PM
I would measure the amount of water, ask the vet what is considered a normal amount and see how he compair's?
See it theres a pattern to when he consumes the most, what if anything is the triggering factor.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Ive meassured the water intake before and a few times he drank almost double what he should. And another time he drank the normal amount. I have had the vets test him and everything is coming back normal. Not the slightest upset in anything. Its a very puzzling thing this pup. LOL
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Honestly, most dogs don't drink enough water, so as long as tests show his insides are working normally, I say give him all the water he wants. It will keep him hydrated, and keep toxins flushed out of his body, aid in digestions, really the drinking loads isn't a problem in and of itself. Its only problematic when it is indicative of another problem, i.e. diabetes, renal disease, etc.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-07-2007, 02:23 AM
Yeah but drinking too much and filling his belly (I mean till its bulging with water) can cause bloat, ecspecially cause hes so active. And thats something that I want to avoid.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2007, 07:04 AM
Hi AG. Water comsumption is something that's interested me over the years. Two of the breeds I've owned are well know for high intake and in comparison, my Lapphunds drink much less, pro rata for their size.

I'ts already been mentioned, but what I find has the greatest influence, is diet. On a dried, complete food, the water intake increases above and beyond the amount needed to compensate for it's dried state and I always feed kibble soaked anyway.

I have found that this varies with the brand. One particular brand and a new recipe for them, (I didn't buy, won it at a show) had me so concerned that I phoned the manufacturers to ask if anyone else had reported this. I was told 'no.'

Assuming you do feed him kibble, it would be interesting to see what would happen if you changed his diet completely for a few days onto raw or homecooked, with no kibble at all.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Salt affects the amount people drink after all thats why some bars have free peanuts on the bar & I'm sure it would affect dogs too & just as humans differ in the amount of salt that they consume without it affecting them expect dogs do too. I'd do a test checking salt content of treats & feeding higher content one week lower another & see if it makes a difference.Remember to leave a gap in between for his system to normalise first especially if you feed the saltier ones first.
I have found Dax drinks more after a car journey which I relate to stress.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >