Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 10:22 AM

Honey is not a Whippet!

At least three times this week Honey has been a whippet, and its only Tuesday , now I know she's only 24tts, but surely that will still be a very large male whippet, and I know that I've seen some big whippets before now, but I've not seen any that large, I mean Diesel's the same size, but he's not been called a whippet, I think its the ears, they confuse people, if anything he's a Greyhound, which makes me wonder how both my dogs are the same size, but Diesel is a Greyhound and Honey a Whippet to some people I've even had, 'I know that ones a Whippet, but whats the one with the ears?'

I mean I know she's a sighthound mix, and some people don't know a lot about some of the breeds, most have never heard of a Saluki, and others think that Greyhounds are smaller then my dogs, but I did think that whippets were more well known, but then maybe thats why people think that she is one...
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Annoying isn't it!! More people admiring my "Poodles" at the vets yesterday!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 10:34 AM
, I mean if they ask I tell, but when they 'know' their right its annoying, I mean surely theres a difference between this,

and this.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 10:54 AM
At Crufts recently my Lakeland terrier was an Airedale an Irish Terrier and a Kerry all on the same day.

Now Kirk is only 141/2 inches at the shoulder
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Lol, Ok, thats worse , why don't people ask though, if I have any doubt as to what I dog is I always ask, and even if I don't I still go (a example from yesterday), 'is he a Visla pup', I was told yes, but I could always be wrong, as there are so many breeds and crosses out there that until talking to the owner, theres always a chance of being wrong, even if it is small, and if you don't go into it with the 'I know' attitude you might actually learn something too.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Well to me Honey looks nothing like a whippet!! But that's just me
I think I've said on here before, but Guinness (greyhound and obviously so!!) was mistaken for a ....wait for it...Bassett Hound!!! Jeez!!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Well you should have been in the vets yesterday with Cherry and I. There was "miss Know-it-all" with 2 Foxhounds giving someone else a commentary about why Cherry's ear carriage was "wrong" (she has one sticking up in the air and not folded over like the other one) and what the breeder should have done to stop this happening

I was very tempted to say "Well she has 2 obedience trophies and you can't have everything-brains and beauty can you"! but I kept quiet! Don't like people making personal comments about my little Cherry-pie. Jamie and I can call her "Flopsy mongrel-ear" but no-one else is allowed to be rude!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 09:17 PM
My gosh!! How rude!! I'd have been thrown out for retaliating!!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
Well to me Honey looks nothing like a whippet!! But that's just me
I think I've said on here before, but Guinness (greyhound and obviously so!!) was mistaken for a ....wait for it...Bassett Hound!!! Jeez!!
Lol, how on earth did people manage that one a tall leggy dog for a shorter not so leggy dog with long ears? you have to love how some people's mind works don't you .

Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Well you should have been in the vets yesterday with Cherry and I. There was "miss Know-it-all" with 2 Foxhounds giving someone else a commentary about why Cherry's ear carriage was "wrong" (she has one sticking up in the air and not folded over like the other one) and what the breeder should have done to stop this happening

I was very tempted to say "Well she has 2 obedience trophies and you can't have everything-brains and beauty can you"! but I kept quiet! Don't like people making personal comments about my little Cherry-pie. Jamie and I can call her "Flopsy mongrel-ear" but no-one else is allowed to be rude!
That woman is obviously missing that beuty isn't just for dogs that fit certain standards and most the time actually I find dogs that sway from the standards more endering tbh, also I find that people have to be ugly inside to say anything like that, but I do know how annoying it is, I've had comments about Diesel's ears, even though Diesel wouldn't be Diesel without them
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Not everyone is into different dog breeds. I hate the know-it-all types, but some people just dont know (or care) exactly what the difference is, even other dog owners. My OH and I took Jake out yesterday and saw a whippet. My OH thought he was a greyhound... i corrected him, but since he isnt the slightest bit interested in dog breeds, it isnt the end of the world. He actually asks me a lot what different breeds are coz he wants to learn... just like when he thought 2 Malamutes were huskies.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >