Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I agree with Joedee , I see no reason to neuter dogs but would always spay a bitch having lost a couple over the years with pyometra. I am not a fan of having blood dripping all over the place every 6 months and the problems associated with exercising an in season bitch either.
I agree with the above, unless you have a reason to keep a bitch entire I would spay......but only when the bitch reached maturity.
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Thanks, all really helpful stuff. I will let you know what happens when I go to see the puppies tomorrow!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I would only ever keep entire males & my bitches are all eventually spayed at sometime.

No medical reason for castrating males unless it has a problem, bitches can & do develop pyrometra regardless of whether they have had a litter so I would spay to prevent possible pyrometra especially in an older bitch(had to have a 10 1/2 year old emergency spayed when she developed a closed pyrometra & it was touch & go as to whether or not she would live, many years ago)
This is my thinking too. My husband's working collie bitch recently had a closed pyometra that required an emergency spay.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2