View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Its not about dominance or pack theory or all of that crap. Its table manners. Mine must wait for their go eat sign, even visitors learn how to wait. I wont accept pushy dogs.

My three and an extra

Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 04:10 PM
That's so cool Sara,you should say grace
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
No. It is just part of the "Look at me" and then "Kiss" thing that we do. I did not tell her to wait - she just waited because our ritual had not happened!
But she was hungry? What would happen if you forgot to put her food down and then went out? Would it still be sat there uneaten when you got back?

Wish I could ask the dogs the question actually lol!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Lovely photos Sarah. However just because a dog hasn't been trained to wait until told it can eat the food you put down for it doesn't mean it is a 'pushy' dog does it?

My dog lets me know when she's hungry, I put the food down, she comes and eats it. She doesn't wander over and sit near it and wait for permission but neither does she try to grab it off me or get her jaws round it before I put it down. I put it down she comes over and eats it. I don't see that as pushy.

I used to have to tempt my Cavvy to eat a lot of the time. She wasn't bothered much by food at all.

I can see if a dog is trying to 'snatch food' you would command WAIT! or SIT! But don't really understand why they have to sit and look at it until told they can start eating it.

Like most I know, if I've got treats for Bella, I will often say SIT! then give her one. But I wouldn't get her to sit and then put the treat down and then stop her from eating it. I just honestly don't understand what the point of that is.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Chloe won't touch her food bowl until I tell her to. It's the same when we've been outside, she'll stand in the porch but won't go into the house until I invite her in. I've never taught her to do either thing, she decided for herself.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
Chloe won't touch her food bowl until I tell her to. It's the same when we've been outside, she'll stand in the porch but won't go into the house until I invite her in. I've never taught her to do either thing, she decided for herself.
Interesting isn't it. As I said I wish I could ask the dogs the question WHY?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
But she was hungry? What would happen if you forgot to put her food down and then went out? Would it still be sat there uneaten when you got back?

Wish I could ask the dogs the question actually lol!
Yes she was hungry because she had come up to me and asked me for her food, as I said in my OP. As for going out and leaving her, that would be impossible as I cannot get past her while her bowl is on the floor as my kitchen is too narrow, which is why I prepare my own meal while she is eating. Or while she sits waiting for the routine, as happened today.

My kitchen is so narrow that I even have to reverse out of it as I cannot turn round in it!

Anyhow, what is so wrong with asking a dog to wait until you tell them they can eat? Not that I did ask her to wait, but I used to ask my children to please wait until we were all sitting at the table before starting to eat.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Well I've been looking this up. Most sites I like say to make the dog sit and then put the bowl down so they can eat. Not to make the dog wait after that until you give the command.

But I have found it now on the beloved C. Millan list of things you should do to make sure your dog knows who is the dominant one. Along with never allowing the dog to enter a doorway ahead of you and a load of other old rubbish (IMHO)

When you put his food dish down, he must wait until you give the "OK" to eat it. Place his food on the ground and tell him to wait. If he darts at the food, block him with your body. You can point at him and tell him, "No, wait," however do not speak much. Dogs are, for the most part, silent communicators. They feel one another's energy and your dog can feel yours. Yes, your dog can read your emotions. So stand tall and think "big" and stay confident. Do not be nervous, your dog will sense this and assume you are weak. It is this weakness that triggers a dog to try and take over (for the good of the pack; the pack needs a strong leader). Give the dog a command before giving the food. If a dog does not follow the command (i.e. to sit), he does not eat. Try again in about 20 minutes or longer. Repeat this until the dog listens to the command. When your dog calms down and waits patiently, (ears set back, head lowered even slightly, lying down is good if he is relaxed with his ears back, no signs of growling on his face) invite him to eat his food. The people in the family the dog growls at should feed the dog the majority of the time.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Dogs that dont wait aren't all pushy, but when you're regularly feeding alot of dogs, things do get pushy. Mouse is awful pushy, Oliver guards his food from the other animals and Boo had serious resource guarding issues with people. Making them lay down well back from where I prepare the food, giving me time to make sure everyone gets the proper dish and they are nice and calm, means a more relaxed dinner for them all and no squabbles.

I would never take food away from them, and I dont tease them with it. They must hold a down stay away from where the food is going to be placed, until I put all the dishes down then release them, they go to their own dishes and eat. Once done they must come away from the others and not bug.

And no I wouldn't put a treat down and make them wait for it, unless I'm training a wait
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Yes she was hungry because she had come up to me and asked me for her food, as I said in my OP. As for going out and leaving her, that would be impossible as I cannot get past her while her bowl is on the floor as my kitchen is too narrow, which is why I prepare my own meal while she is eating. Or while she sits waiting for the routine, as happened today.

My kitchen is so narrow that I even have to reverse out of it as I cannot turn round in it!

Anyhow, what is so wrong with asking a dog to wait until you tell them they can eat? Not that I did ask her to wait, but I used to ask my children to please wait until we were all sitting at the table before starting to eat.
But from what you said (you not knowing she hadn't started eating because you forgot to give permission) how long do you think she would have sat there hungry?

I mean having food and a hungry dog in the same room and the dog not touching it? I just can't understand it. Even if you'd just forgotten to put it down I'd have thought the dog would bark to remind you! Bella certainly would! I have sometimes done that. Got her food ready on the counter for her and walked off without putting it down. She soon reminds me.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >