View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Wow a quick search and loads of Dogue de Bordeaux crosses for sale .. crossed with old English mastiffs/ cane corsos / am bulldogs and even a shar pei cross
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Cheaper than either pure dog maybe ??
When they say mastiff i wonder which they mean?? not old English going by the size of the dogs ...
I hardly doubt they'd sell it more than a Pedigree, but then again, labradoodles are selling more than labs or poodles in some places.

My friend bought/rescued a puppy - we got told he was Mastiff cross Rottie - He is gorgeous, she bought him for £50 off a neighbour who had rescued him from someone who had just tied him up to the toilet in an outhouse because he'd got him without his father's permission and already had a French Mastiff.

So meet Troy:

I think IMO in time, most people will be paying over the odds for a cross when they can find them in the rescue centre.
Of course I am a hypocrite because we paid a lot more than we should of done for Louie and I did say that I wanted to rescue my first (not shared with my neighbour) dog. But saying that, I was going over in my mind whether we should get him or not and in the end it was my OH who brought him home - I do think he wanted him more than me (I was still feeling bad for those in rescues so ended up buying my local rescue a huge crate full of dog food), but I wouldnt give him up for the world now and he has proved to be well worth more than what we paid.

Sadie only cost her owners a fiver, being 9 years ago and she was an accidental litter and way before the "fashion" of having a mixed breed instead of a pedigree.

And me and the OH have come to an agreement, our next dogs for the rest of our lives will be rescued.

But yes, I feel it is a "fashion" and it is growing - even Hollywood has caught on.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Money aside, I think its to get a bigger 'tougher' dog...I'm seeing an increasing amount of 'hard' dogs in my area as people try and 'outdo' each other in terms of their dogs size and ferocity...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Money aside, I think its to get a bigger 'tougher' dog...I'm seeing an increasing amount of 'hard' dogs in my area as people try and 'outdo' each other in terms of their dogs size and ferocity...
You see - that`s what worries me..............
Neither of these breeds are normally reactive but they are powerfull, and any dog can be abused to make it aggressive.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
You see - that`s what worries me..............
Neither of these breeds are normally reactive but they are powerfull, and any dog can be abused to make it aggressive.
We have a lot of Staffies, rotties and GSD's on our street so I know the thought very well, of course we a ouple of owners who are very responsible for their dogs, others not so much :\
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 03:30 PM
the 'in' cross around my area is Rottweilers crossed with Ridgebacks they all obviously vary but most are the colour of a Ridgeback but the build of Rottie...
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2010, 04:21 PM
MONEY and the fact that certain ( not all obviously) types of people want a big bad looking STATUS dog. they rarely know either breed and how to train them. i once went and looked at a litter of Rotty x Mastiff pups, purely curiosity, and was dismayed at what i saw, 1stly Mum the Rotty and Dad the Mastiff were in the garden and could not be handled (both i might add were in good health from what i could see) and the pups were crated in a room full of dog dirt and urine. they were skin and bone, covered in excrement etc, they cowered when i approached them. after a few choice words to the owner i left in tears and anonimously ( as these "people" lived near me) contacted the RSPCA. I could not bring myself to ring the RSPCA again to follow up on the pups, as in hindsight i wondered wether the pups would of been destroyed because of their breeding ( god i hope not) but did get my friend to ring up asking for a pup and she was told they had all gone. the sole purpose for them breeding those 2 dogs was MONEY nothing else.
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-11-2010, 05:56 PM
i hope it isnt because people want a ferocious dog, because if you want a ferocious dog, you will end up with a ferocious dog, due to the way its treated, this could be a lab or a rottie or what ever, but a big dog is potentially more dangerous than a small one, thats a fact,
for me though, looking at the photo of troy he is a gorgeous looking dog, that woud be the only reason i would want one and both breeds have great charters
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 06:06 PM
This is what I would guess also, maybe people what an 'ard' dog away from the staffs now as the staffs, and their crosses are so popular..??
Snoringbear
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
No it seems to be French Mastiff - which aren`t that common.
So why are people buying them?
I suspect it is to get a bigger Rottie? Is this right do you think?
Dogue de Bordeaux are the 18th highest KC registered breed at the moment. They are well on their way to be being exploited
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >