Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KarenL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2014, 06:51 AM

Breeding restrictions

3 years ago our daughter and her husband bought a Dogue de Bordeaux. On the contract and KC docs was the usual breeding restriction. The breeder informed them that should they ever consider breeding in the future they should contact her about the relevant health tests and breeding. They decided they would like to breed and sought advice from the breeder. She ignored their contact on 2 occasions then suddenly replied with a text that she would not lift the restriction. No reason or explanation. No discussion about screening tests or anything. My son in law has formally written to the breeder with no response. He has checked with the KC and found out what tests the dog needs. He is then going to write to the KC with the results.

Please can anyone tell me if they have experience of this and if the KC can lift the restriction without the breeders consent?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Something seems off here. If the dog is one of her dogs, why would she absolutely not want them to breed and is not honoring the contract? Maybe some kind of issue was found with other litter mates or parents or something?

Maybe something smells off about them, or what they are doing. Or maybe she doesn't want her dogs breeding outside of her hands and truly didn't want any of her dogs to be bred but put that in the contract to attract buyers? Really don't know.

Don't know much about this kind of thing... but something seems really weird.
KarenL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2014, 08:36 AM
The breeder was very helpful when she was selling her and stated if they wanted to breed she would help and advise. She will not discuss any reasons. My daughter and her husband would not want to breed if there were any health problems but the breeder is simply not forthcoming. The only test that us required from the KC is the hip score which they ave had done and are awaiting results.

I occasionally breed BC s and put restrictions on mine but only to ensure the dog is fit, healthy and fully screened. Does anyone know if the KC will lift the restriction if her tests come back within normal limits?
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2014, 08:39 AM
There might be something that has come to light in the litter, she may not have informed the KC as she doesn't want it well known, you can do all the tests in the world but some things won't show up, does your daughter really want that kind or responsibility?

A good breeder will accept their offspring back, can she do that? Would she want to?

At the end of the day they might never get an answer from the breeder and there is nothing to be done about that but if my breeder had said no to me then I would have to think about why rather than how to get round it
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by KarenL View Post
The breeder was very helpful when she was selling her and stated if they wanted to breed she would help and advise. She will not discuss any reasons. My daughter and her husband would not want to breed if there were any health problems but the breeder is simply not forthcoming. The only test that us required from the KC is the hip score which they ave had done and are awaiting results.

I occasionally breed BC s and put restrictions on mine but only to ensure the dog is fit, healthy and fully screened. Does anyone know if the KC will lift the restriction if her tests come back within normal limits?
I think they will , but you will have to check....

I don`t think there is anything weird about this at all, as you say many many breeders endorse their pups, and the reasons are not underhand they endorse to protect their breed , and hopefully ensure any future breeding is only done from healthy , type dogs.

You say the hip scores are not back yet, until you have them this is all a moot point at the moment.

Sadly like you are finding out some breeders are not true to their word and refuse to lift the endorsements .

has the breeder seen the dog in question, maybe she feels its not a good example of the breed, (I don't know ) and does not want her name associated with poor quality stock ....(i`m just thinking up reasons)

Till the health results come back and you can speak to the breeder, and get her reasons for not lifting the endorsements, its a little premature going to the KC...

But... if its shes just going back on her word, and the dog ticks all the boxes , then speak to the KC,

I know someone who got the restrictions lifted yrs ago, (thats what she told me anyway,)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
There might be something that has come to light in the litter, she may not have informed the KC as she doesn't want it well known, you can do all the tests in the world but some things won't show up, does your daughter really want that kind or responsibility?

-)
That`s another good point, something may have come to light in her lines and does not want to take any chances........ but the poster needs to try to speak to the breeder.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2014, 08:53 AM
If it is a DDB, you'll need elbow scores, as well. Eyesight and hearing are always basics that are usually done, too. Again, I don't know a LOT about these types of things, but I still see an issue. Especially as you said the breeder was fine at first but now seems withdrawn.

I know the contracts are not done with malicious intentions, but like Imana said, I'd want to know why the breeder won't lift it. There has to be a solid reason. Why don't they want one of their dogs to breed? I'm thinking she is hiding something most likely.
KarenL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Thanks everyone. As you say moot point till the hips scores come back. KC guidelines just say hip scores. The dog is a beautiful specimen of her breed. I'm thinking the breeder simply doesn't want to share her blood lines. Son in law plans to speak to the KC anyway once he has the hip results.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-06-2014, 04:13 PM
Might be worth checking with the bred club which health tests they recommend, the KC as far as I am aware doesn't go into the health tests as in depth as the breed clubs.
In my breed a lot of people access the breed club site to source breeders and puppies.
Both my males have had and have endorsements on them I think its normal practice from reputable breeders. Most though will discuss why they won't lift the endorsement and give a reason why. Most will want to have an input and be a mentor if they agree to lift the endorsement.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Do they show her ? As the aim of responsible dog breeding is to improve the breed, I would expect a dog of a non working breed(ie one that does not work regularly)to be shown with a good degree of success in either the conformation or KC activities(obedience, agility, etc)

Breeding from a pretty pet is not responsible & I personally would expect ALL available health testing to be done(Hips/Elbows etc) & the dog proven to be a good worker or example of the breed or successful in KC activities, BEFORE breeding was even considered & would never lift registration restrictions if any of the above was not done before removal was requested
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >