Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2005, 02:46 PM
I HATE laminate flooring.
It's noisy, cold, and Teagan slips down on it all the time
Can't wait until I can afford some nice carpet! (The house already had laminate when we moved in)
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2005, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't mind changing to wooden flooring now that we don't have the dogs.

A friend of mine had laminate down but she soon changed when her dog broke his leg after running on the laminate and slipped. Unfortunately he fell awkward bless him. She soon changed to carpet after that
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2005, 03:06 PM
We havbe a good quality laminate/real wood lookalike - but its not the same as real wood - I plan to put real wood in the new living room once its built. The brunster does slip a little on the laminate but no more than he used to on the real wood we had in last flat.

its great to keep clean but will defo go for real wood in the new room

dani
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
I hated laminate...the place we moved into had it...Loved how clean you could keep it hated how the dogs slipped all over the place and worried about the effect on their growing joints when their legs kept splaying out from under them like bamby...also hated the trip trap of their nails, every sound was amplified...Just didn't like it all so we put carpet down in the living room and lino in the kitchen (must be mad!)
Ooooh yeah this is a bit of a worry - Loki does like to play and I wouldn't want him to hurt himself.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
We've got tiles in the hall, floor covering in kitchen, laminate in dining room/living room, but we've got a textured laminate which is no problem to the dogs, I love it, no more doggie smelling carpets!
That sounds interesting!
Thanks Ingrid - will have a look at that!
xxx
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2005, 03:22 PM
I think smaller dogs do ok with laminate I think it's the bigger, taller ones maybe that do slip all over...I think Loki would slip tbh.

Takoda wasn't to bad as he was only tiny still and his centre of gravity was lower at the time, Keena just skidded everywhere and the noise did my head in, I started wanting them to just stay still...lol...and it shouldn't be like that!...We were that p*ss*d of with it we layed the carpet before Takoda was even fully house trained!...Good boy never had an accident on it once though ...If we still had the laminate now I don't even think Kody could stay upright as he is a bit clumsy...lol
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Jenny - yeah, rugs are a good idea and might help with the slipping.
Hevvur - I hadn't really thought about the noise.
Staffy - oh God the poor dog. I might stay with carpet then.
Brundog - which wood are you using?

Thanks everyone.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
I think smaller dogs do ok with laminate I think it's the bigger, taller ones maybe that do slip all over...I think Loki would slip tbh.

Takoda wasn't to bad as he was only tiny still and his centre of gravity was lower at the time, Keena just skidded everywhere and the noise did my head in, I started wanting them to just stay still...lol...and it shouldn't be like that!...We were that p*ss*d of with it we layed the carpet before Takoda was even fully house trained!...Good boy never had an accident on it once though ...If we still had the laminate now I don't even think Kody could stay upright as he is a bit clumsy...lol
I must admit that Loki only messed on the carpet twice, but I didn't allow him in the living room unsupervised. I love wood flooring but maybe carpet is a better option then.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-09-2005, 05:05 PM
All have their advantages and disadvantages:

Real solid wood (like parquet)=
Advantages-Lasts a long long time,can be sanded down many times,colour can be changed once sanded.
Disadvantages-Expensive,DIY installation not recomended,can split/warp if timber isnt seasoned before laying.

Laminate=
Advantages-relativly cheap,competent DIY'er can install it,dont warp/split.
Disadvantages-can damage easily when being installed if you dont look out,colour can fade with the cheaper types,sometimes looks 'false'.

Real wood laminate=
Advantages-can be sanded upto 3 times,dont warp/split,competent DIY'er can install it,looks as good as solid timber when layed correctly and much much cheaper.
Disadvantages-More expensive than normal laminate,have to be careful when laying due to edges being brittle.

ps.Most of the cheap laminates are a photo of wood grain! (this is not a joke).
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2005, 05:16 PM
My Mum has had Karndene put down - it's lovely! Not cold like laminate, looks 100% better, and the dogs don't slip on it the same! lol
It lasts longer too.

The laminate where my computer chair is has all come away - to reveal the layers under the top layer - it looks like cardboard!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >