Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2012, 02:33 PM

Formal Retrieve with sighthound?

Has any one trained a sight hound to do a formal retrieve?

The club I attend with Toffee have just started this & I do not like the method they use. Which is, if the dog does not take the dumbell then it's mouth is opened - the dumbell is put in - mouth closed - dumbell taken out - treat given.

Well they may have got away with this with a Lab but I cannot see it working with Toffee.

I have started to use Jean Donaldson method, it started off well but he lost interest very quickly.

He will retrieve a ball so long as I have a second one. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2012, 02:51 PM
I havent any suggestions but was amazed to see a lurcher competing in a gundog scurry once at a game fair. It knew all the whistle commands and hand signals and retrieved the dummies beautifully to hand. So, I guess it can be done!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Have you done any clicker trainig?It may take a while but it makes them keen retrievers
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-08-2012, 04:10 PM
That method would be pretty standard but my dogs don't like me touching the underneath of their jaw either.

I would use a clicker as Rookgeordiegirl has said. I assume you are trying to train the 'hold' element of the retrieve? If so, at first click when the dog holds at all, then very slowly increase the length of time that you will click. If the dog chomps or lets go, don't click. If the dog surprises you with how good it gets it, massive play
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2012, 04:57 PM
I would click and treat,for first acknowledgingthe dumbell,thentouching,then any attempt to pick up.Excite the dog with the dumbell first get your click in fast as soon as you get the desired action then treat just put the dumbell by your feet, you will be able to build on that
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I did this with my Irish Wolfhound, used the clicker method and progressed gradually. At first she had absolutely no interest for the dumbbell, which I can imagine is normalt for sighthounds. Then she got better and better .
I wouldn't use the "force" method either, to be honest I think with a sighthound it will only take you backwards!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by JulieSS View Post
I did this with my Irish Wolfhound, used the clicker method and progressed gradually. At first she had absolutely no interest for the dumbbell, which I can imagine is normalt for sighthounds. Then she got better and better .
I wouldn't use the "force" method either, to be honest I think with a sighthound it will only take you backwards!
Thanks J SS. I feel the same re "force" method.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Wozzy View Post
I havent any suggestions but was amazed to see a lurcher competing in a gundog scurry once at a game fair. It knew all the whistle commands and hand signals and retrieved the dummies beautifully to hand. So, I guess it can be done!
Wow Wozzy I would love to see them in training.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
That method would be pretty standard but my dogs don't like me touching the underneath of their jaw either.

I would use a clicker as Rookgeordiegirl has said. I assume you are trying to train the 'hold' element of the retrieve? If so, at first click when the dog holds at all, then very slowly increase the length of time that you will click. If the dog chomps or lets go, don't click. If the dog surprises you with how good it gets it, massive play
Thanks nickm m , I'm using this method. Have decided Toffee is with me to teach me LOTS of patience.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2012, 06:38 AM
There have been lots of sighthounds Obedience and some in Working Trials and they have to retrieve!

The breed is immaterial.

I am sure if you search this site you will find my step by step guide on how to teach a retrieve.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >