Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Littlen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2011, 04:26 PM

Newbie needs some advice please

Hi guys, I am new to the forum so please be nice, although I was sent here for help by a friend

I am in a realllllly sticky situation atm and would love some advice.

To start, I live with my parents. I cant afford to move out alone yet.
I own one German shepherd who is 6 years old. I volunteer in a rescue centre and after much deliberation took a second 2 year old shepherd home last month, and have had him 6 weeks.
My parents were always supportive. I look after my dogs independently, walk them myself, they come to work with me, I pay for them both etc etc. Both dogs are excellently behaved and sleep in crates at night to appease mother who worries about them chewing or messing her house

Anyway, my parents just decided they want a divorce and my dad moved out and is waiting to move into a house as soon as the sale is through, it could be weeks, could be up to a couple of months. In the meantime he is staying with a friend.
Now, my mother has decided she no longer wants the newer dog and she wants me to take him back. He has done nothing wrong, but she feels she cant cope with 2 dogs right now and wont listen. She wont discuss the issue rather told me to take him back to the rescue, now.
I really dont want to take him anywhere, he is a lovely lovely dog and I cant fault him. I also will be heartbroken and will never find another like him that gets on with my other dog so well. I am gutted to say the least and took him to stay with my OH for the weekend as she wanted him gone and I thought it best to get him out of the way.

What can I say to get her to change her mind?
Not only does this effect me and him but I also now cant face going into work as I feel like a complete and utter time waster and I feel like they think I am messing them about saying I wanted him then don't, and he could have been settled by now.
My dad will take both dogs but cant until he is settled in his new house, and my mother wont let him stay in the meantime.

What on earth can I say to her? Ive tried explaining, ive tried reminding her that he is at work during the day so is only there between 7pm-6am but she wont listen.

Can anyone offer any support please, not sure what to do
lastsolstice
New Member!
Female 

03-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Your Mom is going through a lot right now with the divorce, so first I would not take it personally. She is taking it out on you and the dog. People do that. Do you have any friends that can watch the dog for you while you work on your mom or on getting your own place? Most states have foster parents for dogs (and other animals). Since you work at a shelter, they may be able to help you find some numbers. I'm sure if you are willing to pay for food, ect... you could find a foster home for him without having to return him to the shelter.

Good luck!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 04:46 PM
TBH having been in a similar situation to your mother, I can understand her feelings; there is enough to cope with without thinking of something else.

You say you will be heartbroken but really you have only had this dog 6 weeks, and as it appears to be such a great example of the breed, would be snapped up pretty quick.

Circumstances change and I am sure where you work will not have a problem with taking the dog back; they will know you will enough to understand that you are not a time waster and will understand this situation is out of your control.

Think yourself lucky that you can hang on to the one you have, it sounds as though this in itself may be a bigger deal to your parents than you think.

I know it is hard, but really your Mum comes first.
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2011, 04:46 PM
have you tried asking your OH whether they can help you out a bit? obviously the situation you're in isn't going to be a permanent one, and so they may be more obliging?

Maddie
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Would the Rescue you volunteer at kennel him for you till your dad can have him?
patsgang
New Member!
Female 

03-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I can understand how upset you are, think you should try and see if the kennels he came from will take him back till your dad can take him, also see if your OH would help out just till your dad can take him, really hope your able to keep him.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 07:00 AM
I can see how attached you can get in 6 weeks, we have had our second dog 10 weeks and I have felt that i couldnt part with her very quickly and a month ago it would have broken my heart if we had to get rid of her.

As others have suggested if it is just overnight could your oh or the kennel 'mind' her for you.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:03 AM
What an emotional mess for you all.

Just a thought, but do you have any friends from work that would be willing for your dog to stay overnight for a while until you all get sorted? Or, do you have a dog-friendly friend who is looking to share accommodation?

Mum is very likely still reeling from the impact of what has happened and will be terrified of the financial implications of it all. Arguing will only make the situation worse and you could possibly find you put your other dog in jeopardy if you go down that route.

Could you afford to pay out more to mum every week so that she can see some advantage to having your new dog around? It may help to calm some of her worries.

Talk to your colleagues and bosses at work and ask if they can think of solutions. You may be surprised by the support you get
Littlen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone.

Had a little ray of hope today as a friend who fosters dogs for the rescue agreed to foster him too and he has gone home with her. Gutted for myself but it is for the best I feel.

It may be up to 6 weeks before we move into our new home as we are waiting on the previous tenants moving out. I have asked that if when we move in he is still with her I can have him back and she is happy with that. If a home comes along for him though she is going to get in contact with me and we can discuss someone else taking him.
Im in 2 minds about the whole thing, but as my OH says 6 weeks isnt that long My friend is happy for me to walk him etc but I am not sure whether to have a clean break!
In a bad way I hope he dosent get a home so I can have him back, unfair I know!

Thanks again everyone for your helpful suggestions.