Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marymary
New Member!
Female 

19-01-2011, 11:30 AM

Bobby, our lurcher cross big pup.....

we got him at 12wks and making this decision to rehome him has to be the hardest thing I've done.....he's a big dog - his mum was a staffie crossed with lurcher and we don't know what his dad was but def a big dog, maybe lab or weimaraner has been suggested.....he's now only 11 months now but needs more training and a firm hand which we can't be consistent with.
I had breast cancer in 09 and things changed a lot, for the better, one thing was getting a dog but my son has always been scared but had got used to friends dogs when we went camping, we ideally wanted a small to medium, docile dog...went down the pup route as we had cats and thought the cats would sort the pup and be easier but the cats weren't impressed!! He's used to them but will chase but would be fine for a house where the cats were used to other dogs. He is bossy and will not accept that he's below the kids now, 12 & 17, youngest especially and thats where we can't be consistent. If it was just hubby & me things would be easier. Because of my surgery I have to be very careful with my arm too and he is just too bouncy and unmanageable for me at the moment......so we've made the heartbreaking decision to rehome, ideally to a couple or someone on their own or at least with older dog-confident teenagers. He loves to run and play with balls, he has no food aggression whatsoever and you can easily remove bones etc with no problem. He's been neutered & microchipped and is healthy and up to date with imms etc. I'd love him to go to a good home rather than a kennel situation and have found a charity that will do a home check for me for my own piece of mind, we would then ask the new family to make a donation to them and we will do the same........if you can help please shout, I am nr Shrewsbury just 10mile into Wales with good road access via M54, A5, A458 I can send pics as required

Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 11:23 AM
What a lovely boy, hope he finds hid forever home soon
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-02-2011, 02:29 PM
There are a lot of lurcher rescues around the UK, Lurcher Link is one that springs to mind, as is EGLR (Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue). People who are lurcher savvy and like owning them I think would always check these links. There are a few more, if you put say "sighthound rescue" or "lurcher rescue" into the search engine. This way your young boy would hopefully get a home where someone is very aware of lurcher instincts. They are, at least in my experience, fantastic housedogs, apart from some lurchers' inclinations to steal food, even to the point of opening fridges and oven doors, but, depending on the mix, sometimes need a really experienced lurcher home. Advertising him on a lurcher specific rescue gives him that chance. The fosterers in these rescues are very good too, I think, at finding out what kind of home suits the lurcher in question, and do homechecks. If there is no-one in the area, they usually ask for a veterinary reference with regard to the potential owner. And, of course, if the home doesn't work out, he comes back to rescue, rather than perhaps being moved on to another person or sold, so that it is an additional safeguard for the dog.

You may have already done so, and, if you have, my apologies for trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs (whatever that means!!!).

One of my lurchers came from EGLR, but was from an unwanted litter in Wales, so they may well have volunteers in that area that can transport them either to EGLR or to another volunteer nearer the rescue. This is a common way of getting rescue dogs from Ireland and similar - by volunteer network. EGLR are based in Evesham.