View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alison2006
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2010, 06:05 PM
I also have my seeds indoors on the windowsill. I know its a disaster waiting to happen as Louie often jumps up on the windowsills!
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2010, 07:00 PM
I have an allotment and have ordered my seeds for this year
I am growing
beans
Broad Bean Stereo
Dwarf French Bean Borlotto Nano these are red and green beans!!!
Also yellow and green dwarf beans beans and possible purple if I can get them to try and jazz up eating veg
peas sugar snaps.

Sprouts
Brussel Sprout Red Bull these are purple sprouts
Brussel Sprout Trafalgar green sprouts

Root veg
Carrot Solar Yellow (as the names suggest these are yellow carrots)
Carrot Cosmic Purple (and these are purple carrots)
Carrot Sugarsnax normal carrots

I will also be buying the following as plug plants as I think they are hard to start off as seeds.
Leeks
beetroot
Purlple sprouting broccoli and normal broccoli
parsnips

Potatoes when they are ready will be grown in special bags I got last year as well as the ground.

So it should be fun I can't wait to have fresh veg to hand again. It is so much nicer to go down to the allotment and get the veg I want rather then going to the shops and having to throw half of it away as I didn't eat it fast enough.

Anyway happy growing it will be great to hear how everyone gets on.

Ndidi

ps below is a link where you can get a free potatoe growing kit if you pay the postage which is £3.99. they are really good bags as they are the ones I used last year. Thought I would pass it on.
http://www.gardenbargains.com/item-9...o-kit-free.htm
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 08:05 PM
I've just added Spinach to my list as apparently it will grow in partial shade so it's going in the corner that doesn't get as much sun!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I've just added Spinach to my list as apparently it will grow in partial shade so it's going in the corner that doesn't get as much sun!

ooh we had spinach with dinner tonight, I've never cooked it before & when I saw the whole bag shrink to literally a spoonful I wanted to add it to my growing list too, but wondered if it would grow.

I've got herbs coming along nicely on the kitchen windowsill from seed (I've just taken the lids off!)
Also just propergating seeds for red/green, yellow & chilli peppers & rocket.
Also going to do tomatoes & tumbling toms (I love those Elaine - you get loads off them!)
Courgettes I love to grow because the plant is also so pretty with huge leaves.

I was going to get one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x3m-Greenhous...#ht_5242wt_958
but am now kicking myself because when I saw them in January they only £50 & now they are going for quite a bit more. I should have got one then!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
ooh we had spinach with dinner tonight, I've never cooked it before & when I saw the whole bag shrink to literally a spoonful I wanted to add it to my growing list too, but wondered if it would grow.

I've got herbs coming along nicely on the kitchen windowsill from seed (I've just taken the lids off!)
Also just propergating seeds for red/green, yellow & chilli peppers & rocket.
Also going to do tomatoes & tumbling toms (I love those Elaine - you get loads off them!)
Courgettes I love to grow because the plant is also so pretty with huge leaves.

I was going to get one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x3m-Greenhous...#ht_5242wt_958
but am now kicking myself because when I saw them in January they only £50 & now they are going for quite a bit more. I should have got one then!
I normally don't like eating anything leafy but i love spinach! I expect if I grow it then hardly any will make it as far as the kitchen - bit like my pea's last year!

The polytunnel on Ebay looks brilliant! Wish i had room for one!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Alison2006 View Post
I also have my seeds indoors on the windowsill. I know its a disaster waiting to happen as Louie often jumps up on the windowsills!
Well to be honest that's the only windowsill I have and it's over the sink so seeds are safe enough there.
Scooter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Thought I'd post a progress report:

The seedlings are sprouting - we have tiny pea seedlings, brocolli and lettuce.

Am feeling quite proud, but you know what they say...
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 10:20 AM
I have a bit of a dilemma My tumbling toms have seem to given up the ghost. I don't know what has happend to them but they seem to have stopped growing they have the first of their true leaves but they are tiny and don't seem happy at all...any ideas??????

xx
Scooter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:24 PM
You could try covering them - either with a clear plastic lid, or use some sandwich bags to make little greenhouses over the top (if that makes sense). I thought you have to keep them covered, but have never grown from seed before.

Perhaps somebody else can help?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Have to admit havnt even started my toms off yet,is there any draught around, or is there a chance that the window ledge gets very cold at night? if i were you I would start some more off , just in case

Jeanette
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >