Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 07:54 PM

What can you grow in a grow bag?

I'm thinking ahead of what I'd like to grow this year & have already got some seed ready to propegate in the kitchen next month. I didn't bother last year as Tilly was a pup & destoyed everything anyway in the garden!
Having seen the price of salad go up I want to grow my own - So I'm thinking of getting one of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5m-Pollytunn...item2303fade6a
and would like to grow stuff in it out of growbags but not sure what they are deep enough for?
I've grown cucumbers & tomatoes before in them ok but would also like to try lettuce (I guess they would be ok) spring onions, peppers, chillis, courgettes? (I've only ever grown these in pots)
Any other ideas of what you can grow in a bag?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi
Hubby is the gardener here lol and said all you have listed would be fine, and radish, & marrows, there is noting quite like home grown veggies and salad.They taste so much nicer than shop stuff and of course it's there for when you want it.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Hi
Hubby is the gardener here lol and said all you have listed would be fine, and radish, & marrows, there is noting quite like home grown veggies and salad.They taste so much nicer than shop stuff and of course it's there for when you want it.
Thanks - can't wait to get started, just need the weather now!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Melons, courgettes.
Peppers you can grow in containers easily.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Melons, courgettes.
Peppers you can grow in containers easily.
ooooh melons - we love them! didn't know you could grow them in the UK!! though I used to think that about palms1 I had a garden clear up yesterday & my palms have survived quite a harsh winter considering I didn't wrap them up in fleece this year (I usually do)
Alison2006
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2010, 06:11 PM
What I also sucessfully tried last year was potatoes after seeing it on TV. You cut the grow bag in half so that you have two deep bags instead. I had lots of new potates from this last year and will be planting them again this year.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Alison2006 View Post
What I also sucessfully tried last year was potatoes after seeing it on TV. You cut the grow bag in half so that you have two deep bags instead. I had lots of new potates from this last year and will be planting them again this year.
yes I've grown potatoes in a dustbin before!! (not a used one I might add )
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2010, 07:38 PM
i got some bags from wilkinsons and im growing runner beans , toms, potaotes, cucumbers, onios and ive got an old bath and growing butternt squashes in it!
my gardenis fully decked with chickens, hot tub and summer house in it so dont have any room for grass and dirt to grow stuff so have to be grown in thses bags
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Good thread!

I want to grow some stuff myself too!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 11:52 AM
You can grow beans in a grow bad and remember if you are worried by the depth...then open the bags and put the compost inside into a tub...the good quality "interior" of the grow bag does not have to stay in the bag.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >