04-10-2012, 02:50 PM

Any one think these are good ?

http://www.friendlydogcollars.co.uk/

I might invest in one for Meg & Tyler....think they are a fab idea
chaumsong
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2012, 02:56 PM
A dog I meet out walking wears a friendly harness and I did find it very reassuring the first time I met him

Sorry it's a poor photo, taken on my phone.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2012, 03:06 PM
I think these "warning" harnesses (positive and negative!) are awesome. Although, i find it sad that we need them or think they're useful because numpties with probelm dogs don't take the right precautions themselves. Having said that, we are about to take on a doberman and i have deliberately bought her pink based collars and leads in an effort to make her more approachable to those who may be scared of her simply because of her breed.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I've got 3 Dobermanns and a staffie and have never had any problems with other people because of their breed. Their behaviour is what they are judged on and that's the way it should be. If these kind of collars and harnesses make you feel better then fine but you'd have to be very close up to read them and by then if the dogs not friendly it could well be too late and it'd all kick off.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Good in theory, but several potential flaws in practice.
Biggest one, which I've also said about this 'yellow ribbon' campaign going around - will anyone pay any attention? Amanda and I were at the beach with Casper, Cain and Kiki - Casper and Cain on longlines and muzzled, we went right to the edge of the sea (tide was out so we were quite a way away from the dry sand/dunes) and there was miles of empty beach either side of us as it was a quite, not overly-warm day. Yet a couple and their dog make a beeline right for the group of 4 people who look pretty obviously to be keeping out of everyone's way, even when we're reeling both the longlined dogs in and sidestepping as they approach. Will people actually pay any attention to writing on a harness if a muzzle isn't a clear enough clue? I've had someone actually refuse to call their dogs away from my muzzled, on-lead on my polite request, even! Not to mention had people let their off-lead dogs run over to my two on-lead (one muzzled) dogs which resulted in me falling down a grassy verge with 4 dogs on top of me - they didn't stop to help, ask if I was OK, do anything but walk on and wait for their dogs to catch up. I had to go straight back to my car as my knee was bleeding heavily (trousers ripped right open so easy for the person to see I was injured) and as I was putting my dogs back into the car, what do I see but her dogs off-lead and running over to us again! People like this are the ones we need to get the message across to but they just don't seem to be getting it.

Secondly, in today's blame culture, I would be very reluctant to advertise my dog as friendly or to put a warning on it. They're not predicable and if my friendly dog was pushed into reacting, would I get blamed for advertising that she was friendly? It may be that someone's child poked her in the eye which caused her to snap, but I'm the one standing there with a collar claiming she's friendly, i.e. safe to approach.
Or I leave my dog tied up outside a shop with the "Caution" collar on, my sole intention to have people avoid approaching my dog. Someone wanders over and steps on the dog's foot, or leans over it in an intimidating way, or even just decides they want sme compensation money and falsely claims that my dog has bitten them, I'm the one who's dog needs a warning on it so am I admitting liability in all/any case?
Equally, someone's dog runs over to mine and picks a fight with it, my dog is totally blameless..but I'm the one who's dog has a collar that has a "No dogs" warning on, obviously my dog has issues and made their dog pick a fight, so I'd better pay up the vet bills for any retaliation from my dog...see what I mean?

I won't be rushing out to buy any, I think the only ones I would use is the yellow ones I've seen with "I need a home" for a foster dog, or maybe the deaf dog one they mention on there (not that I'd let a deaf dog out of sight but if it were to stray and there was an obvious collar on stating it was deaf it might help people be a bit more creative when trying to catch it)
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Karly's post is spot on.

The principal is great but in reality it won't work.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm with Karly on this. People don't pay the blindest bit of attention to Cain's muzzle when he's wearing it, I really doubt anyone would bothered reading the collar. They'd be too close by this point anyway. Heck, even be yelling out "keep your dog away please" doesn't work

On the flip side with judged breeds and friendly collars, if someone has a prejudice against your breed, no collar will convince them otherwise.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I'm with Karly on this. People don't pay the blindest bit of attention to Cain's muzzle when he's wearing it, I really doubt anyone would bothered reading the collar. They'd be too close by this point anyway. Heck, even be yelling out "keep your dog away please" doesn't work

On the flip side with judged breeds and friendly collars, if someone has a prejudice against your breed, no collar will convince them otherwise.
That and the fact that dogs can't read.
chaumsong
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
judged breeds and friendly collars, if someone has a prejudice against your breed, no collar will convince them otherwise.
Well I'll be honest and say I would normally avoid staffys with my lot because I've met so many nasty ones. My youngest though loves to play and was bouncing around play bowing at this dog, taking note of the other dogs friendly harness I didn't call him back as I would normally and they had a great game. So not everyone ignores these collars/harnesses.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2012, 04:11 PM
How many times do people say it's ok he's/she's friendly, they might be but usually have atrocious manners.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >