Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Don't even get me started on this one. Really.

I'm sick of it. The crap through the door, the Jehovahs stopping me in the street AND coming to the door, stopping me in the town etc. Glasgow city centre is full of them!

I've had to rearrange several things that I've had organised for months in advance, including visiting a relative who I don't often see and a dental appointment which is over 20 miles away.

The reason? Because we are forking out well over 1 million pounds because the Pope is coming to town! Over 20 miles of road closure because of this! I'm really not amused by any of it. If the Pope wants to visit and Catholics want him here, then they should be paying for it - not me. I don't want him here and I certainly don't wish for my taxes to be used on such a thing either.

My appointments were confirmed before his.

We are forking out millions for this (and yes, I know it costs a lot of money and manpower for demonstrations and things as well, which I don't agree with either), when they are cutting back our already stretched Police force and the NHS!

There is no sense in this at all, if you ask me.
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
My signiture should give you all a clue as to my views on religion.

When the 'bible bashers' come to the door here...the family sends me. Mainly because they find it funny to watch me resisting the erge to tell them to f off, and the only reason I've resisted is because so far, all the ones I've delt with have been so polite and reasonable, that they've not imo deserved such a hostile response, and because truth be told, I find their futile, and quite weak attempts to try and convert me entertaining.

But really though, if people want to believe in 'fire breathing whales and what not", then thats up to them, but don't expect me to believe it too, and don't expect I'll look upon the indoctrination of young kids to favourabley either, because I won't, infact it disgusts me frankly.

And as someone else said, if the Catholics want their leader here, then they can damn well pay for it themselves
, though I'd rather he wasn't comming at all regardless.

God, (pun intended), aren't I in a brilliant mood today lol.
Although I agree in principle I think this is a little harsh. I am Roman Catholic - always have been, most likely always will be. I DO want the Pope to come because my Grandmother wants to see him. She's 83 and probbaly won't get another chance during her lifetime.

But Personally, for me, I couldn't give a toss one way or the other. So as I am also a tax payer just like everyone else I shouldn't have to pay either. I do think the Catholic Church should pay - not individuals (just Catholics) or other tax payers in general.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
but they havent forced you? they just asked for a chat and sent you a present both of which you are free to ignore
I should be able to enjoy my life without having people give me things to say that unless I choose their path I'm going to suffer for eternity. These leaflets were given to everyone in town, what about vunerable people, people who will get scared by being given such stuff? If any vunerable person joins them out of fear, which lets face it could happen thats wrong, and somebody should govern it IMO.
I should also be able to sit in my home without someone trying to change me, what they are doing is disrespectal IMO, if people want to learn about religon can do.

I have spoken to people about different religons, too many people though say they believe just because its all they've known, not because they've chosen to, many don't know a lot in the bible either, but chose to follow it, but just because they do, it does not give them a right to disturb my life.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
My signiture should give you all a clue as to my views on religion.

When the 'bible bashers' come to the door here...the family sends me. Mainly because they find it funny to watch me resisting the erge to tell them to f off, and the only reason I've resisted is because so far, all the ones I've delt with have been so polite and reasonable, that they've not imo deserved such a hostile response, and because truth be told, I find their futile, and quite weak attempts to try and convert me entertaining.

But really though, if people want to believe in 'fire breathing whales and what not", then thats up to them, but don't expect me to believe it too, and don't expect I'll look upon the indoctrination of young kids to favourabley either, because I won't, infact it disgusts me frankly.

And as someone else said, if the Catholics want their leader here, then they can damn well pay for it themselves, though I'd rather he wasn't comming at all regardless.

God, (pun intended), aren't I in a brilliant mood today lol.
Totally agree!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I should be able to enjoy my life without having people give me things to say that unless I choose their path I'm going to suffer for eternity.

why cant you enjoy life just because you read something on a leaflet? if that were true, then that would be an issue within yourself anyway?
it would be no different than reading a scary book or watching a horror film or saying i cant leave the house because the government keeps mentioning terroism.
you are either able to be brainwashed or you arent.

These leaflets were given to everyone in town, what about vunerable people, people who will get scared by being given such stuff? If any vunerable person joins them out of fear, which lets face it could happen thats wrong, and somebody should govern it IMO.

what if the sky falls on my head?
what if blind people get run over by traffic?

its just not rational thought

I should also be able to sit in my home without someone trying to change me, what they are doing is disrespectal IMO, if people want to learn about religon can do.

how is someone popping an object thru your letter box trying to change you?
an object is an object.
it has no life of its own, no voice of its own.
do you get flyers?
free ads ?
pizza leaflets?
arent they trying to sell you something?

like i said, if an object with no innate power of its own gives you cause to worry about it having some sort of hold upon you, then surely that is something within yourself that needs addressing?

you are right, if people want to learn about religion they can.
the prescence of a gift thru your dog does not change that reality, as you can still chose to use that object or not to learn about religion or not

I have spoken to people about different religons, too many people though say they believe just because its all they've known, not because they've chosen to, many don't know a lot in the bible either, but chose to follow it, but just because they do, it does not give them a right to disturb my life.
umm...an object thru your dog, someone saying something on the street.
were you in danger?
how was your life "disturbed"?
in any given day you will have dozens of objects in your path and dozens of people that may say things to you.
all of which may be an inconvenience.
and an inconvenience is all it is.
if they become anymore serious than this, then you are choosing to allow them power over you.

"i sleep nights, there are workmen outside digging the road. are they making a noise just to annoy me, or are they making the noise and i am annoyed"?

in other words, it is only simply 2 realities coexisting as the 2 realities would do in that time and space.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2010, 07:37 AM
I don't care how much you try to dress it up, the people who try to convert on the streets, by either trying to make it so you have to listen to their beliefs, or people who knock on your door and are very persistant trying to get you to follow them are rude, leaflets are just the tip of the ice berg, and I've never had any body try to sell pizza the way some try to sell their religon , they'd probally get complaints for it if they did!

IMO people like this annoy so many people they help to put more of a divide between people, just because atheists or other people from other religons get sick of them. Also one of my neighbours has kids, including a new born, and a broken buzzer that can be rang from down stairs, but she can't speak into it, or open the door, her buzzer was rang four times by these people, her peace was broken more then others, as with their persistance they woke her baby up. Peace is what these people are disturbing, and I'm fed up with it all.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2010, 08:16 AM
I thought the Pope had been invited by the Queen/former Government (Gordon Brown when he visited the Vatican) to visit and speak as a head of state and this is why they have said they will meet some of the costs?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2010, 08:36 AM
I would be annoyed with all that too, the religous people in town are really annoying, they work in pairs, and its mostly when I walk the dogs I get stopped, and my two are very people friendly, and if I'm with the dogs one will go out of their way to get the dogs attention while the other one is trying to force different leaflets on me, kind of makes me wish I had 'scary' dogs. Mind you the leaflet I got today has a lovely diagram on the back to show me how when I die my soul is going to go to hell and then the lake of fire for eternity unless I am religous, and they are trying to get me through the leaflet to go to all sorts of meetings to save my soul.
Yes, I sometimes meet them when I'm out with the dogs. Drives me nuts. I just want to tell them to p*ss off out my life! But, alas, I don't.

I don't have 'scary' dogs either, but I do have a dog who gets rather excited around people if she isn't controlled. This is where a dog who struggles to keep her paws to herself comes in handy. I know I shouldn't let her, but I do! Well, she's just a bit over friendly!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2010, 08:41 AM
I don't care how much you try to dress it up, the people who try to convert on the streets, by either trying to make it so you have to listen to their beliefs, or people who knock on your door and are very persistant trying to get you to follow them are rude, leaflets are just the tip of the ice berg, and I've never had any body try to sell pizza the way some try to sell their religon , they'd probally get complaints for it if they did!

IMO people like this annoy so many people they help to put more of a divide between people, just because atheists or other people from other religons get sick of them. Also one of my neighbours has kids, including a new born, and a broken buzzer that can be rang from down stairs, but she can't speak into it, or open the door, her buzzer was rang four times by these people, her peace was broken more then others, as with their persistance they woke her baby up. Peace is what these people are disturbing, and I'm fed up with it all.
We recently had a young man knocking at the door and giving a ham-fisted speech about some children's charity. It was hard to actually decipher what it was he wanted (turned out he wanted regular financial contributions) so he kept you at the door for a little longer while you tried to figure him out, and upon leaving, he'd shake your hand and give his name while asking for yours. Then he'd go next door, beginning his pitch with, "XXX from next door said ..." so they'd think he was okay because you sent him.

I had just had my baby and was recovering from the operation when he knocked and began speaking to my husband (after giving the name of one of our neighbours so we thought she'd suggested he call into us) but I got rid of him by limping to the door and calling for my husband ("I need help!") but then he moved on to my neighbours - pensioners, with one of them just out of hospital after heart problems. He had them believe my husband had sent him round to them. Never give any personal details to people at the door, not even a first name.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-09-2010, 08:48 AM
It disgusts me. They use scare tactics to hook the gullible and vulnerable in - because let's face it, who else is going to give a leaflet telling them how they're going to hell the time of day?
There was a case in my family where a woman became a Jehovas witness after them knocking at her door... Suddenly she had no time for her husband or children, and when she did she would just be telling them about how they're going to burn in hell. When she died she gave literally all of the husband's money (and I say 'husbands money' because he is the one who earnt it!) to the church and he had to go to court to have that overturned I am sure that can't be an isolated incident either...
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2010, 03:29 PM
I agree with everyone here. I hate it when people ram it down my throat!! We've had numerous Jehovah's at our door with little kids. I don't like it. I have no problem if they want to follow their religion but don't disturb me at home thanks!!
I work in a hospital and I was looking after a JW patient and she called us all "heathens and sinners" because it was Xmas and we were all wearing santa hats and playing Xmas carols!!! Shortly after she "graciously" accepted the Xmas present which had been bought for all our patients!!
Unbelieveable!!
Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »