Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I agree but would say SOME working bred collies can be redirected ...

I have known a few who lived to work sheep and I doubt whether anything else could have compared tbh.
If the dog had worked sheep previously, then it would be a very difficult task indeed. However, when getting a pup, this is unlikely so the drive can be utilised in other directions without the pup missing something he's never experienced
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 06:23 PM
We tend to get three types of BC around here. Some that ignore their owners completely mainly in favour of playing with other dogs, some who only have eyes for their owner (or ball!) and don't acknowledge anything else and some who are the herdy nippers...the ones who will stalk and nip your dog, resulting in a scuffle.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 07:26 PM
OK, so I love collies, and I'm considering one for a sidekick for Layton given time and circumstances being right... but yep there are some barking neurotics out there - but then there always were.

I remember as a kid we had a one on the estate I lived in who was pretty much chucked out of the house dawn till dusk (was fairly common back then and we had three or four dogs raking the streets near where I grew up)... except he was a compulsive car herder. Many's the mornings we got stuck trying to get out of the estate to get to school because the poor misguided soul was trying to round up all the Vauxhalls... thankfully people knew to expect his shennanigans and drove accordingly at least but he didn't half cause chaos. I don't know what came of him in the end - I must have only been about 7 or 8 myself back then.

Idiot ex-friend had a collie, never walked it, only ever chucked it out in the back garden for exercise - eventually of course the poor frustrated dog nipped at her kid - massive hysteria and reciminations and dog was out on his ear (thankfully at least rehomed via breed rescue I believe). Said "friend" then proceeded to wallow in the melodrama for months when it was all her own stupid fault.

Most of the ones we see are either friendly, or just so busy rounding up their ball that they're no bother to anyone else.

Still think they're gorgeous though.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
If the dog had worked sheep previously, then it would be a very difficult task indeed. However, when getting a pup, this is unlikely so the drive can be utilised in other directions without the pup missing something he's never experienced
Hmmm I am not completely convinced. Collies are bred to work sheep full stop. For many it is completely inbuilt, and the instinct is so strong that I am not sure this drive could be redirected into agility or flyball etc - I am not saying it definitely could not, but I just don't know for sure.

Perhaps these are the type of dogs that have already been spoken about - herding children, cars, other dogs, chasing cyclists, nipping and chivvying anything that moves, stalking and eyeing moving objects, obsessing over shadows etc.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7