Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
To answer Wysiwig and an update.
When Kismet first arrived she was crazy about food, the puppies had been fed in a half drainpipe trough and Kismet being the dominant female had been used to fighting to get more food than the other puppies.
I wondered if she'd been started off like this by the breeder - it doesn' t alawys lead to food aggression to humans, (or dogs come to that) but it can do, it can sow the seeds for guarding behaviour and anxiety around food.

I think some breeders need educating as it would really be helpful if pups could be fed separately at feeding times, or at least not set up so they have to fight for food.

So obviously from the time I got her home this was something we worked on. offering treats while she was eating, trying to slow her down, by scattering some of her food, or hand feeding. She wouldn't allow anyone near or to touch her while she was eating and could be seriously aggressive about it, she would wolf hers then try and fight the other two for theirs.
Totally understand your concerns...

We did teach her to stop mid meal so that we could take the bowl and in hindsight that was possibly not the best thing to do, but it was what we were advised by the vet at the time and I guess we live and learn!
It's very hard when you are trying to do the right thing and are given advice by a professional. IMO the advice was wrong, and would cause more stress/anxiety/frustration etc etc...plus it could also have been verging on dangerous advice for yourselves as the owners taking the food away when she got a bit bigger. Vets do sometimes give behavioural advice, and unless they are a qualified veterinary behaviourist (of which there are not that many about!) I wish they'd leave it to the behaviourists.

In the last couple of days we have been part hand feeding, offering treats during mealtimes and giving treats to all the dogs together clearly and in turn and have resumed the training to leave treats on the floor until they are picked up and given. Kismet seems to be settling down again and being less stressed.
Excellent news!

I was very proud of her last night at dinner as she allowed Pharaoh to sniff about in her bed after her dinner with out a growl and this morning allowed Selkie to take her bone that she was finished with. She sat by Selkie and waited patiently for her to get bored before taking it back and hiding it in her bed. So marked improvements.
That is really good, I am not surprised you are proud . Sounds as if her stress levels have gone right down, which is a great sign. Dogs tend to act and react more "emotionally" when stressed as you probably know

I am optimistic that this will be something we can crack! Thanks to everyone on here for their help and support. Its hard sometimes when you're training but not seeing instant results, or it seems to take a step back like this did, you can start to doubt yourself; and with the best will in the world, we all make mistakes. I just don't want Kismet to ultimately pay for mine!
Well you sound like an excellent owner - you care, and are really trying to help her which is so good to read. I wish you loads of luck with her. If at any time she regresses or things seem to go wrong, I'd suggest contacting an APBC behaviourist for professional advice whilst she's young (I think this has already been suggested) and if you are insured the company may pay out for a consultation.

However it sounds as if things are now going swimmingly an d you won't need this - fingers crossed and loads of luck!

Wys
x
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by dori-katie View Post
Well done.
when you say give treats half way though meal times what do you do?
Only asking so I can try it on Dori.
She has been better over the last few days I have been making her sit when I put her bowl down then she has to wait until I tell her to eat.
I do take the bowls away when they have finished as they are empty but have left them down don't know if that has made any difference.
I also ask her to wait until the food goes down (had to really otherwise she'd climb into the bowl on the way down). Then she's told "good girl, go eat".

What I have been doing recently is sitting with her while she eats and about half way through her dinner, I show her I have a bonio if she stops and looks up she can 'nicely' take a bit of the bonio (I break it into 3 pieces). I let her go back to eating and then offer her another bit of the bonio again she has to be nice, the last piece of the treat I give to her when I take the bowl away as a reward for giving me the bowl...

My other half fed the dogs today. He was good, he sat with her and offered her the bonio bits, but forgot to take their bowls away... Bless her, Kismet came into the living room about 10 mins later with her bowl and gave it to me! I of course gave her a treat for being such a clever girl, she went and got Selkie's bowl and gave me that one too!

This dog is just too darn clever!
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Kismet came into the living room about 10 mins later with her bowl and gave it to me! I of course gave her a treat for being such a clever girl, she went and got Selkie's bowl and gave me that one too!

That's ace little monkey.

I have been reading up on dog food and I have read if the food is high in protein this can cause alot of aggression problems in some dogs. I don't want to talk to soon but this does seem to be the case with Dori.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3