Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluebell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2008, 05:33 PM

Female acting...like a boy dog!

My 10 month old female Lhasa (came into season about 2 -3 months ago) has just started doing 'that' thing that you usually expect boy dogs to do...if you get what i am saying.

Is this normal??
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 05:43 PM
You mean she's humping things? I've heard of this before from dogs who have been in season.

Is she of excellent type that you intend to breed her? If not, why don't you just get her spayed? Better all round, imo. Speak to your vet. Yes, it's a big op but there's no point in putting her through all the stress and hassle every time she comes in to season. It's pretty pointless then.
bluebell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2008, 05:45 PM
She's not in season and i was told by my vet that i had to leave it 6 months before i have her spayed.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 05:46 PM
My little female poodle pup does humping too , she is 5 months old . I think it's fairly normal and it's not always about sex .
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 05:48 PM
My last Lurcher humped everything and everybody in sight, particularly when she was stressed
As Westie says when the time is right I think spaying could be the answer.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
She's not in season and i was told by my vet that i had to leave it 6 months before i have her spayed.
Why have you to wait 6 months and from when? Are you sure he didn't say wait until she was around 6 months to have her spayed? Just curious.

As far as I'm aware, I'm no expert, but there are a few reasons why bitches hump. Stress, dominance and sexual urgers when in or around a season are the ones I've heard of. If she was my dog, I would have her spayed.

If her season finished 2-3 months ago, you could have her spayed very soon as the vet says to wait around 3 months between seasons, as far as I'm aware. Of course, she'll only be spayed if the vet thinks she's ready. I would speak to your vet as soon as possible. Hope this helps.

(Not wanting a debate on spaying, folks. )
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 05:57 PM
It is normal for dogs to do this, both intact males and females and also neutered ones particularly when they are pups and teenagers. If you don't like it then try to train it out of her but it will pass when she is adult anyway except for the odd occasion.

I have a bitch (spayed) and 3 dogs (intact) and by far the biggest humper is the bitch, she is also the most aggressive but that has happened since she was spayed.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 05:57 PM
My bitch humps my dog..its a dominance thing
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2008, 06:08 AM
It's a dominance thing. Ignore it
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
My 10 month old female Lhasa (came into season about 2 -3 months ago) has just started doing 'that' thing that you usually expect boy dogs to do...if you get what i am saying.

Is this normal??
My two and a half year old girl was spayed at 6 months and still does the odd humping thing, never with other dogs but with things like her big teddy bear and sometimes her bed.. Think its just a dominance thing, we just laugh and say she does not realise she is a girl..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >