View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2015, 07:03 PM
I am a sod for assuming that dogs that are in busy and confined places are friendly, because lets face it, who would bring a dog into a crowded place when the poor thing has issues being around others. All it takes is for the owner to be distracted and someone to try squeeze past, or someone in a rush to bump into them. And bang, the dogs bit them. Would be the dog at fault in the eyes of the law, and now in the UK the owner could face hefty fines or even a sentence.
Exactly. Dogs that will snap don't have to be petted to do it. Bringing dogs in that will bite people without putting a muzzle on them makes no sense. But, and this is probably stereotypical, some little dog owners seem to be trying to defend this action to some degree here. There's no solid reason to bring a dog that will snap at human hands for any reason into a place where there will be many of them. But with small dogs, this epic failure of ownership seems to glide by. I'd NEVER get away with it, unlike small dog owners, so I'd never attempt or excuse it. But to each his own, I guess.

BTW, not liking to be petted is NOT the same as snapping at the hand when it approaches. The dog could shirk away or growl... but snapping which is attempting to bite but missing, is awful and certainly ANY size dog that would do that doesn't belong in the store without a muzzle IMO and that's my final word as I'm repeating myself now.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
That is what the manager of a Petsmart told me. Dogs are to be on no more than a 6 foot lead and walk alongside the owner. People break the rules and use long lines and flexi leads and bring their dogs in and carry them around the store or place them in the shopping carts all the time.

Now, IMO, thats not the issue, the issue is that people bring snappy dogs who will bite inside the store with no muzzle and just blow it off when the thing snaps at a human hand. If I let my dog do that, I'd be tossed clean out of the store and likely BANNED from coming back, but the little runts owner gets to brush it off and nothing happens.

The OP lives in New Jersey and didn't name the pet store
so the woman with the chi might not have been breaking any rules. It is an issue if you have accused her of doing something she's not guilty of.

As far as I know she's not doing anything wrong and as to saying you would be banned if your dog snapped , that has realy nothing to do with the chi owner.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Cookie didn't like strangers touching his head. He would never snap and as his owner/mum/protector I would always explain he, like most dogs and other animals, doesn't like his head or face touched. And I'd say where he does like to be fussed.
I would never take any dog that has issues around people to a pet shop. And once Cookie's back became sore and he became iffy with other dogs again I didn't take him in. If he needed anything I'd measure him before going. And if it didn't fit I'd return it and try another size. Wasn't fair putting him under the stress of being on lead, in a confined place where another dog could slip a lead and put him in a position where he or the other dog could be harmed.

I do have a tendency of over thinking things and imagining the worse. My motto is expect the worst, hope for the best.
But what if a child reached for the dog, yes the child shouldn't be but in the eyes of most laws if a dog bites a child the dog is PTS. Not to mention the stress the dog must be feeling for it to resort to snapping or biting so quickly, can't be pleasant.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Right... and the OP is American and claims to work full time at a major pet store. Only Petco, Petsmart, and perhaps Pet Supermarkets (they are way less major than the other two) could possibly be the place she works at. Same stores I'm speaking of, the sign says to leash your pets, not to pick them up, and common sense says to not bring in snappy ones.

That's just my opinion, though. Same as how if someone from the UK says it, then it's likely to be Pets at Home or whatever that store is everyone mentions. Not that many, and they all have roughly the same rules. Perhaps there is no rule against bringing in dogs that snap at human hands for whatever reason, but there shouldn't NEED to be such a rule.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2015, 10:54 PM
BTW, not liking to be petted is NOT the same as snapping at the hand when it approaches. The dog could shirk away or growl... but snapping which is attempting to bite but missing, is awful .
I dont know the intentions of this Chi but I'd just to point out not all snaps are failed bites. Dogs often air snap as a warning. I have seen this myself and one of my previous dogs would do this.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2015, 10:58 PM
You're really not supposed to be walking around with the dog in your arms. It's way more of a safety hazard, .
I dont get why carrying a tiny dog in a store is a safety hazard. Surely it's more dangerous for it to be on the floor , someone could trip over it .

Are people allowed to carry their babies and toddler in their arms ? They could bea hazard, they should be strapped down in strollers.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2015, 11:22 PM
I agree with the original poster that the lady should have apologised as a common courtesy.

However, I see no wrong in carrying a dog into a pet shop.

I'm fortunate in that I have a small dog who loves people petting her whether she is in my arms or on the floor, but it does gall me how many people just plunge in to her face before asking.

Small dogs take a lot of flax just for being small. I just get a little tired of hearing the 'hate' many generate toward them for little or no reason
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
I am a sod for assuming that dogs that are in busy and confined places are friendly, because lets face it, who would bring a dog into a crowded place when the poor thing has issues being around others. All it takes is for the owner to be distracted and someone to try squeeze past, or someone in a rush to bump into them. And bang, the dogs bit them. Would be the dog at fault in the eyes of the law, and now in the UK the owner could face hefty fines or even a sentence.
I personally wouldn't take any dog into a place that was that busy and crowded. Friendly dogs often find crowded places stressful too.
Yes, poor dogs with issues , if they need to be muzzled why are they in there in the first place.

The dog laws have change recently to protect workers like postmen and women who have to access your property.
Also , your dog doesnt have to bite anyone to be considered dangerous , if it runs up and barks at someone and they feel they are in danger then you can still be in trouble with the police.

Sadly, Nothing much can be done about dog on dog attacks. My small dogs get attacked by large dogs and their arrogant owners who do nothing to stop them, there's not much the dog warden can do.

Also , the sue culture is big in Britain now. Google dogs bites and pages of No win -no fee lawyers come up.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2015, 11:46 PM
I wouldnt apologise if my dogs snapped at someone who did not have my permission to stroke them.
I would and have apologised if my dogs have barked at people or their dogs .

Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm fortunate in that I have a small dog who loves people petting her whether she is in my arms or on the floor, but it does gall me how many people just plunge in to her face before asking.
I've even had people just come up and pick up my tiny dogs . WTF !!

Small dogs take a lot of flax just for being small. I just get a little tired of hearing the 'hate' many generate toward them for little or no reason
Yeah , I've noticed that.
Tiny dogs get easily killed so they shouldn't breed them so tiny !! .
How about not breeding dogs the size of a pony and jaws the size of Jaws.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2015, 12:01 AM
How about not breeding dogs the size of a pony and jaws the size of Jaws.
You can go ahead and try to claim this was a joke now or try to take it back or twist it, but weren't you just agreeing with Chris earlier in that we should love all dogs regardless of size? I personally feel that it's my right to like/love any dogs I want to instead of all dogs, but you can't have your cake and eat it, too, right?
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >