Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2008, 11:19 AM

Peoples reasons for keeping dogs....

Recently i went to someones house and heard the dog bark....i asked where it was and she said "oh outside".

Basically the dog has run of outside and lives in a small outroom which backs on to the kitchen.

The dog never comes inside.

It got me to thinking as to why some people have dogs. For me it is company and i just love to snuggle with them and also really enjoy the walking.

Whats the point if the poor thing is stuck outside all the time.

I am not knocking people who keep their dogs outside. Each to their own and all that, but if it never comes inside for love an attention whats the point?

Views and opinions....
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2008, 11:28 AM
In my experience there are a terrifying number of people who have no understanding of what taking on a dog means. You only have to look in rescues to see that people want a cute puppy but aren't willing to invest the time and energy to make sure the dog grows up happy, healthy and well trained. I have rescued several dogs in the past - none of their previous owners should ever have had them or be allowed animals again (for various reasons).

I have dogs so that i have loving friends who share my life with me and enrich it in ways that humans can't and hopefully i do the same for them. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who don't share those sentiments.

I have to be honest it's one of the reasons i love dogsey so much - it's nice to see people with happy healthy dogs they love. It's refreshing and reminds me of the decent people out there which i have to admit i sometimes find hard to hold on to. So a big thank you to you all for helping me keep my sanity and faith in the human race
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 11:31 AM
My reasons are very similar to yours, the company of a dog, the fun and the exercise you get and the chance to improve his life.

When we moved house we were surprised to find out that one of our new neighbours had dogs. Surprised because we'd had a sneaky look over the fence and his garden was immaculate, shrubs, ornaments, grass and not mud etc! His dogs are only allowed the run of the side of the house yet that is why we brought our house because the garden is so long and perfect for a dog. His dogs were never walked, they just wandered up and down the side of the house and barked and barked when inside. They got a puppy after we moved in and again never seemed to do anything with it. It just seemed so pointless. I don't think it was because they wanted a dog to guard the house becauses the husband works nights so there was always somone there. Very strange indeed some people's reasons for getting a dog.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 12:03 PM
That's exactly the kind of life my Georgie had for the 5 years before I had him The woman had a special room built onto the back of her bungalow which was Georgie's room, he was never allowed in the house Consequently, when he came to me he didn't know what anything was in the kitchen, so stuck his nose in just about everywhere, especially in the fridge!

For me, my dogs have always been for the love and companionship they give. I'm a very touchy feely, affectionate type of person, which my o/h isn't, so I get my affection from my dogs instead! Since I lost my old Cassie last year, and couldn't seem to get the return I wanted from George (not his fault!)in desperation I nearly bought a parrot, but my o/h wouldn't let me and when I broke down in tears one day and explained to him, that I am "missing" that special something in my life, i.e. something that I know for sure loves every part of me, he said I could get another dog rather than have an affair!!!! It worked, so I'm allowed another dog when the time is right and the right dog has found us or vice versa. The other reason I have my dogs is obviously for the exercise, they give me a reason to get up early in the morning and keep me fit, and also for security. I feel quite safe leaving my back and front doors open at the top (stable doors!) and the french doors open from the lounge, because not only would no-one dare to come and rob the place, they just wouldn't bother with big dogs around, but of course, the dogs have always let me know if someone is hanging around the gate areas. If I lived in the wilderness, I would have to have half a dozen gsd's just for that reason alone, as well as all the other reasons of course! Dogs are part of me, life isn't complete for me with just humans around, I can't talk in silly voices, or get on the floor for cuddles with the human variety, I'd get locked up! One is ok, but it's not enough, I think everyone who feels as passionate as I do about dogs should have 2 or 3 or more!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 12:14 PM
My friend's neighbour has recently got a staffy pup that is left outside all day and all night. She says the pup has a kennel but she doesn't think it can get in as the hole in the kennel is too small.
It whimpered all night and all during the day and sleeps curled up in the corner near the fence.

When it cries, she hears the neighbour shout out of the window to shut up. Apparently, he recently 'got rid' of his previous dog because it never got walked and he couldn't look after it

I will never understand this.
Okay, so I like the nice things - My dogs don't get run of the house. If the post has already been and they are not muddy, they are allowed run of the entrance hall and kitchen, but not the lounge. If the post is yet to arrive, they are shut in the kitchen unless I'm around to supervise (Takara hates the postie).

They are only ever allowed in the lounge if we are in there (they will sometimes take their chances and get on the furniture - though not that much anymore) and they only go upstairs for bathtime.

They do have full run of the garden but again, only if I am around - Takara will sometimes bark at people walking past although she's got a lot better, and I wouldn't allow them out when I couldn't keep checking on them in case someone opened the gate (we had a lock but soon realised we didn't really need it because as soon as a stranger's hand touches the gate Takara goes mental) and because we have walls in the garden and there is a small chance of them falling.

I have my dogs as companions first and foremost and I actually bring all my work downstairs so I can do it around them instead of locking them up downstairs while I go up to work.

I even changed my career choice to accomodate dogs in my lifestyle
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Today, I have no idea why I share my house with four smelly rotties,,,
theres black hair everywhere, they are blowing there coats just now...............

my lunch consisted of lentil soup, dog hair and warm bread

there is a roll of gaffa tape half mangled and chewed in the middle of the floor,
my nice new brown leather sofa has two rotties sprawled all over it just now,
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Haha Shona!

Dallies blow their coats ALL YEAR Fun fun fun! Their hairs are like little pine needles and get stuck in everything and fly everywhere.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
my lunch consisted of lentil soup, dog hair and warm bread
Hee, hee. That sounds so familiar

Made OH a sandwhich the other day and after a couple of bites he stopped to pull out a hair.

'Oh, sorry, is there a hair in it?' I asked

'wifey' he says in a resigned (but not angry) voice 'everything we own has dog hair on it'.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Such a shame when people have dogs and then tire of them, or maybe like some round here, keep them permantly in the garden Oh! NO I don't have him/her in.....it's a guard dog''.................still maybe some people have expensive flowers or shrubs in thier garden, or maybe that bile or tools in the shed need guarding!!!!!!!!!

Me I have dogs because I prefer them to humans. they are my bessie mates
and I love the frequent walks and games we have and plus my life would not be the same if they weren't in it. How boring would that be
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Why do I keep dogs? I find their company preferable to that of humans .
You know exactly where you are with a dog, treat it the right way and you will be repaid a hundred fold...

Added Just seen Stephanie's post above glad I am not alone...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >