View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Unfortunately, they dont have a specific enclosed area where dogs are exercised. We did take our own 2 a walk around the surrounding fields before we went to the rescue and there doesnt seem to be anywhere where they can be let off.

IMO, they do need to build such an enclosure so that dogs get adequate exercise and so that meetings between potential pack members can be undertaken better. For all I know, they do have such an area but I think if they did, we wouldnt have had todays meeting inside.

I did realise that it wasnt ideal today as Flynn was too busy hunting for food and Joseph appeared to want to make a dash out of the door so both were preoccupied.

Generally, the Dobe was far calmer today but I know that yesterday he hadnt actually been walked before he came out to us so he was probably like a coiled spring. He has had a cat test and is apparantly frightened of them! He certainly showed no interest in the ones roaming around.

I certainly dont think he has any malice in him, he just needs some proper exercise and to have some rules instilled upon him before we can truly see him for what he is.

I will be taking my very long training lead tomorrow so that if he cant be let off, at least he has several more metres to run round!

Thanks for the support folks.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Im pleased it went better today, good news. How to you think they will cope in a confined space like the home, especially if Flynn, being a younger dog is fairly pushy?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Believe it or not, Flynn is very submissive and hits the deck as soon as he meets another dog but that changes when there is food around and then he's prepared to put up a fight! Both dogs know that they do not go near each other whilst the other is eating. Those are the rules at home and they are always supervised with food anyway so Flynn will learn that he stays away from Joseph if he's got food and vice versa.

He bullies Jed simply because Jed is willing to give in all the time and although he'll protest with a growl, he doesnt actually follow the course of action and allows Flynn to take advantage. All Jed wants is a quiet life so will give the toy up rather than endure Flynn barking at him.

Joseph would have a crate until I knew they were ok but Flynn is fine indoors, he's happy to lie on his bed as he knows I dont allow playtime inside so I dont think confined space is going to be a problem really.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Glad the second meet went better between Flynn and Joseph.
Would you be allowed to take him home to see how they interacted there? Or away from the rescue on a proper walk although you wouldn't be able to let him off?

Just remember to be sure about a decision and don't let your oh rose tinted specs influence you if you don't think it would work.

Katie
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I was wondering about a home visit as it were.
Glad things were a bit better yesterday
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Rose tinted specs make no difference to me because I know how important it is that the dogs get on. The OH doesnt do anything with the dogs anyway so his opinion counts for very little in the grand scheme of it!

I went back this afternoon armed with wellies, old coat, toys and a long line. I left Jed at home and just took Flynn with me. Joseph was on the long line and Flynn was off lead and they paid each other very little attention when the toy was away.

When I got the toy out and gave it to Flynn, Joseph came bounding up and simply took the toy but without any aggression towards Flynn. This is exactly what Flynn does to Jed so he was completely dumbfounded when he had it done back! So, he reverted to what he does best and that was bark, first at the Dobe and then at me as if to tell me to get it back for him! In Flynns defence, he did give the toy up and didnt attempt to steal it again so he obviously has some respect for Joseph. It was amusing to see the total look of confusion on his face when the toy was rudely snatched before his eyes!

Joseph did attempt to play and there was alot of bowing on his part in invitation but I think he was simply too big and Flynn was a bit overwhelmed.

I was expecting there to be alot of chasing, jumping and for Joseph to be taking advantage of the long lead but it was pleasantly calm except for Flynn's motormouth. The dobe didnt make any attempt to wander off. I asked if they'd ever had him off lead and they'd tried it briefly and he'd stayed pretty close to them.

So all in all, it was another good meeting and I think the decision has been made to give him a try. OH has promised to muck in and help out, even to the extent of coming training with me so i'll be holding him to that!

Think i'll be booking him in for beginners class at obedience Katie! Unfortunately, Jed is going to have to drop out and stick to just his agility
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Aaaw thats sounds really good news Leanne.
Lucky Joseph, a new home and brothers!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Best of luck, I wouldnt if it were me, but thats me. I hope it works out for you all.
Dawn,
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-01-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm really pleased that you have decided to take Joseph home with you Leanne.

The two bits of advice that I will offer you are.

1, Take things slowly in the beginning. That's not to say that you don't let him know what his parameters are, i.e.: where he can go and what he can and can't do, but more to do with his interaction with Flynn. Just remember that he has come into Flynns home, so he might feel abit put out at first.

2, Remember that dobes are very intelligent dogs and that you really need to be consistence with your commands. You can not let him do something today and then say NO tomorrow.

But above all make sure that he gets to know very quickly that every member of your family is his boss, because believe me when I say that if you give him an inch he will want to take the whole mile, and as soon as he finds the weak leader in your family, that person will have hell to pay as he will run rings around them. Discipline and Consistencies are the key words when keeping dobes.

Good luck with the rest of your lives together.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Glad things went better Hun. Hope it all works out for you
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >