View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:02 AM
So basically you are the KEEPER of the dog rather than the owner, a bit like my company car!

You have in fact leased the dog for in indeterminate length of time for a fixed fee.

It does not make me feel better or worse, I just find it amusing when people use certain terminology to justify certain actions.

If and when new laws come in re compulsory microchipping and subsequent legislation this will prove interesting................... as Trevor Cooper indicated at the recent seminar I attended.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yup there were eye checked. From 2 really great dogs but unfortunatly rubbish working drive - in the end my friends took the litter mate a year later because the farmer figured she was not cut out for work when she scarpered from a field of sheep and was found in the garden playing with a football

Well for Mia I just did a charity walk and didnt pay for her at all
I see a donation to support a rescue to continue to be able to rescue more dogs as totaly different from paying a breeder and so encouraging them to go on and produce more litters as a totaly different thing
But I can see why people would call it buying
Not sure what else you can call it , when you hand over money for something.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-10-2011, 11:16 AM
well on the charity books it is called a donation

And from my understanding they use that termanoligy for a reason, (tax I think) but the fact is , you have "paid" for your dog.

Ben is never 'mine' he always belongs to Dogs trust and my donation was said to be to help future dogs

So what would you do if they want him back for what ever reason, would you let him go without a fight,

But it dosent matter to me what anyone calls it, if it makes everyone feel better
I am unlikely to choose to SUPPORT a breeder while there are dogs needing homes in rescues
better?

Where do you think these dogs come from if not breeders..
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Dont see why microchipping laws would change a thing, Dogs Trust chip ALL their dogs

and basically the reason dogs trust do it the way they do is that they are taking responsibility for a dog for its whole life, if I die or can no longer look after Ben they have commited to always take him back.

I dont feel the need to justify anything, I know the contract I entered into when I got ben, it was not a purchase or a hire, it is an adoption for which I gave a donation to the charity. They had a suggested amount for the donation but it was not compulsary

It always counfounds me how people can fight about the smallest things on here to make themselves feel better
I cannot see myself buying a dog from a breeder - that was the point I was making, as everyone full well knows

Whether people say I buy, rent, hire, steal, lease, adopt or whatever my dogs does not make a blind bit of difference to me or my dogs
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Dont see why microchipping laws would change a thing, Dogs Trust chip ALL their dogs

and basically the reason dogs trust do it the way they do is that they are taking responsibility for a dog for its whole life, if I die or can no longer look after Ben they have commited to always take him back.

I dont feel the need to justify anything, I know the contract I entered into when I got ben, it was not a purchase or a hire, it is an adoption for which I gave a donation to the charity. They had a suggested amount for the donation but it was not compulsary

It always counfounds me how people can fight about the smallest things on here to make themselves feel better
I cannot see myself buying a dog from a breeder - that was the point I was making, as everyone full well knows

Whether people say I buy, rent, hire, steal, lease, adopt or whatever my dogs does not make a blind bit of difference to me or my dogs
It always counfounds me too, when people wont admit they have "bought" "paid" for their pet from a rescue,then feel they have to justify it with an explanation of "donation", why not just say you bought your dog from a rescue, I agree it does not matter in the great scheme of things, so why get so defensive over the price you have been charged.

If it makes you feel better to disguise by using one word over another, that's fine, but lets call a spade a spade, you "pay " a fee , set by the rescue for the dog.

I had a rescue years ago , sadly we could not keep him, we paid the fee they asked, just as I would with any breeder I went too.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Not sure what else you can call it , when you hand over money for something.
Of course I wouldnt be happy if they just came and demanded him back - but they are not liekly to do that unless i was failing his wellfare or I haddnt got him neutered, otherwise it is just in the event of my death they take over responsibility for Ben again
It is the contract I signed for

There are plenty of ways you can hand over money without buying things. If you put money in someones charity box and they give you a sticker are you buying a sticker or donating to charity?
If someone does something nice for you and you know they are a bit short of cash and you give them some are you buying their kindness?

If you give money to a homeless person and it makes you feel good are you buying happieness?

Where do you think these dogs come from if not breeders..
I dont know how many times I have to say this before anyone understands
I am NOT supporting the breeders, with a puppy going to a rescue then the person who has bred the puppies is financially out of pocket breeding that litter
yes of course no doubt someone will argue that they are being supported by the pups being taken away to give them more room for more pups - but the pups would be got rid of anyways, either sold or other less nice ways
But if someone produces an accidental litter of pups and makes some nice money out of that then it is possible that they would consider more pups in the future as 'easy money'
If they are out of pocket for the whole thing, and in the rescue place are given advice and see first had the rescue problem in the UK - then it is hopefully less likely that they will wish to breed in the future

I am giving the money to the rescue and so supporting the rescue
I am also supporting the rescue by taking a dog from them so they have room to rescue more dogs
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:32 AM

i dont need to feel better thanks

i have bought,and i have 'rescues' that i paid no money for.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:33 AM

That is why going to dog law seminars are useful, they inform you of how it may affect dogs and owners and charities in the future.

that is why, presumably, there was a PR officer from Dogs Trust present at the seminar I attended?

If you adopt, there is no fee, and if you adopt anything it becomes YOURS, you do not rent it or keep it.

For example, if you adopt a child it becomes YOURS! Social Services do not come and take it back if you die!

Whereas in YOUR case the dog is NOT yours, it still belongs to the charity who can reclaim it at any time.

Who is fighting and who is trying to make themselves feel better?

I am not fighting anyone, neither have I any need to make myself "feel better" I am not ill

And if anyone is fighting of course they need someone to fight with!

What a totally ridiculous statement to make, as of course if you stole your dogs you could be put in prison and your dogs be rehomed or better still reunited with their lawful owners.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:37 AM
It always counfounds me too, when people wont admit they have "bought" "paid" for their pet from a rescue,then feel they have to justify it with an explanation of "donation", why not just say you bought your dog from a rescue, I agree it does not matter in the great scheme of things, so why get so defensive over the price you have been charged.

If it makes you feel better to disguise by using one word over another, that's fine, but lets call a spade a spade, you "pay " a fee , set by the rescue for the dog.

I had a rescue years ago , sadly we could not keep him, we paid the fee they asked, just as I would with any breeder I went too.
Because to me I did not BUY a dog
I gave the suggested donation
as I have already said he belongs to Dogs Trust so it is not possible that I bought him
I made a simple comment that I would be unlikely to buy a dog - it was YOU guys that jumped on that and attempted to justify your beliefs that I have bought a dog
I do not agree with those beliefs - why is that such a big deal to you, are your beliefs so shakey that you need everyone to agree with them to validate you?
It does not make me 'feel better' it is simply the facts. As already said in the eyes of the law it was a donation - thats good enough proof for me
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
What a totally ridiculous statement to make, as of course if you stole your dogs you could be put in prison and your dogs be rehomed or better still reunited with their lawful owners.
well I think in reality you should take your comments up with the Dogs Trust, they are their policies and if you feel that they are wrong then perhaps you should convince them that they need to change their policies
But until they do I stand by what was on the contract that I signed
I paid a donation to adopt Ben, ony my death or if I should be unable to keep him or if they believe Bens wellfare is suffering the dogs trust retain the right to reclaim him

Seriously I would have though people would have agreed with the idea that a dog rescue takes responibility for the full lifetime of the dog and dosent just forget about them once they find them a home
is that not what you expect a good breeder to do

anyways, im done with your childish bickering.
I paid a donation to adopt my dog
thats what is there in black and white - take it up with dogs trust if you have an issue with it
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »