Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I would be unlikely to buy at all - most likely to rescue
But if I was going to buy I would be so concerened about puppy farmers that I would spend a VERY long time finding a good breeder
registered/unregistered - hmm well it depends on the breed I guess, if I knew the breeder and knew they were not hiding multiple litters then I dont really care about papers
For example friends of mine have a collie from a hill farmer, they could have paid the extra for him to drive into town and register the litter - but they didnt care either way about it
we know the farmer and the landowner pretty well from visiting and holidaying several times a year for a few years

The reasons why the dog was bred (he needed a new working dog) the health and temprament were more important than a bit of paper
Unless the rescue you got o gives you the dog for free, you are paying the amount they stipulate.......... hence you are still buying
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Unless the rescue you got o gives you the dog for free, you are paying the amount they stipulate.......... hence you are still buying
Some people are shocked when we told them we paid for a rescue dog ...

A donation or a fee is all the same ..
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Both ours cime from responsible breeder who shows his dogs & does relevant health checks. However until the past year Whites were not allowed to be shown. This has however changed - whites are being shown in Germany & have been for nearly a year now

As Murf said, whites are/were traditionally half price of
their coloured siblings. Some breeders registered them, ours didnt.

If i were buying coloured Boxer i woukd expect papers & would walk if not registered

However if you go to breed rescue, you dont get papers anyway
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 08:45 AM
I agree that you are buying the dog but....large charitable rescues have open accounts so you can see where your money goes. Smaller ones not so obvious but having done a fair bit of private rescue work I defy anyone to make money unless they are charging VERY high prices!

After all if breeders don't make money charging £4/500 a pup rescues certainly can't with the amount they charge

Most innoculate and many neuter and all have food and staffing costs as well as rent and general running costs.

Thin air doesn't go very far.

BTW----I would get a dog from wherever I wanted to buy it from and I have no problem with breeders making money. If a pup turned up at a BYB and needed a home I'd pay to get it out. I am not good at walking away from individual animals suffering.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Both ours cime from responsible breeder who shows his dogs & does relevant health checks. However until the past year Whites were not allowed to be shown. This has however changed - whites are being shown in Germany & have been for nearly a year now

As Murf said, whites are/were traditionally half price of
their coloured siblings. Some breeders registered them, ours didnt.

If i were buying coloured Boxer i woukd expect papers & would walk if not registered

However if you go to breed rescue, you dont get papers anyway

I also think its important to understand, that even if you have a white from a breeder and they don't register them, that they have registered the coloured ones... they may chose not to register the whites for what ever reason, but as long as all else is in place, they will be doing the responsible thing.

I think it will be along time before whites are shown in the same classes as their coloured siblings here (and other places) I know they do so in Germany, but from my understanding they are shown in separate classes, not competing against their coloured kind.

I cant see them ever being sold at the same price as the coloured, but who knows, it may change in the future, but I cant see it happening for a very long time, you have yet to see a white being shown, let alone being placed.. when they happens, we may see a change..but till them, I cant see any change happening soon.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
I agree that you are buying the dog but....large charitable rescues have open accounts so you can see where your money goes. Smaller ones not so obvious but having done a fair bit of private rescue work I defy anyone to make money unless they are charging VERY high prices!

After all if breeders don't make money charging £4/500 a pup rescues certainly can't with the amount they charge

Most innoculate and many neuter and all have food and staffing costs as well as rent and general running costs.

Thin air doesn't go very far.

BTW----I would get a dog from wherever I wanted to buy it from and I have no problem with breeders making money. If a pup turned up at a BYB and needed a home I'd pay to get it out. I am not good at walking away from individual animals suffering.

rune
I have no problem with rescues charging money for their dogs.. what I always find odd is the statement given by some that they would never buy a dog from a breeder, but dont see they are also buying from a rescue>
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 10:02 AM
I think the issue is where the money goes---which is why I explained where it went in the case of rescues.

People are actually saying they don't want to put money in the pockets of breeders but they are happy for it to go towards dogs welfare.

rune
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 10:08 AM
As well as being kc registered with all relevant health tests - a breeder that shows their dogs demonstrates that their dog conforms to breed standard and is a good exapmle of te breed - therefore subsequent litters from said dogs should be good. It also shows that their temprement is generally sound.

Even if I was not looking to show or work a dog (offering it a pet home) I would be encouraged by a breeder that shows. Often (not always) a breeder will not show if their dogs are not good enough so therefore they are not breeding to improve lines but for money. Also good breeders usually like to show off their dogs as they are proud of the work put in to them..
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
We have a couple of unregistered collies - but we do know the breeding of both. We do prefer to have collies that are ISDS registered though, and the few litters we have bred have all been registered. Did the farmer of your friend's collie eye-test the parents? That is something I would always insist on when getting a working collie pup.
Yup there were eye checked. From 2 really great dogs but unfortunatly rubbish working drive - in the end my friends took the litter mate a year later because the farmer figured she was not cut out for work when she scarpered from a field of sheep and was found in the garden playing with a football

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Well for Mia I just did a charity walk and didnt pay for her at all
I see a donation to support a rescue to continue to be able to rescue more dogs as totaly different from paying a breeder and so encouraging them to go on and produce more litters as a totaly different thing
But I can see why people would call it buying
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 10:24 AM
When you hand over money in return for a product or service it is called a purchase.......
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 10:40 AM
well on the charity books it is called a donation
Ben is never 'mine' he always belongs to Dogs trust and my donation was said to be to help future dogs

But it dosent matter to me what anyone calls it, if it makes everyone feel better
I am unlikely to choose to SUPPORT a breeder while there are dogs needing homes in rescues
better?
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »