Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
4legs
New Member!
Male 

08-09-2008, 08:11 PM

toilet training

last week we got a king charles spaniel called louis 5 months old and is pretty much perfect in every way hopefully it stays that way however he has been going to the toilet on the lawn the past week and just today we made a little area a adequate size for him shingle/gravel and we hope to get him to go toilet there any ideas as to how we can make him realise that this is his new toilet area !!!!
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-09-2008, 08:26 PM
I'd try taking him out on lead when he asks or when you think he's likely to need. Then when he goes in the right place make a big fuss of him and give him a treat. If he goes on the lawn I'd just ignore it. You could try getting a pee post. Pets at Home have them. I'm not sure how good they are but it might encourage him.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Take him out after feeding, playing and when he wakes up.. on the area you want him to toilet and then make a big fuss of him when he does and give him a treat!
But....I would think if he does his buissness there (on shingles/gravel) every time it would start to smell?
Just my opin...I would rather my boy do it on the grass!
Vicky@Eukanuba
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I agree with all previous replies. It is key that you praise him when he goes in the right place. Also, if he goes for a wee on the grass, you could quickly soak up a little with a piece of kitchen roll and then place the piece of kitchen roll on the gravel. This way you will be able to transfer the smell to this area and he will start to associate the new area with going to the toilet.

However, I also share Hades' concern about the smell. It may smell more on the gravel and I also think it will be easier to clean up after a number 2 on the grass. But that's of course completely up to you.
4legs
New Member!
Male 

10-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Well thanks alot for replying i think i get the idea im going to try the lead and then the big fuss and treats if he does do it there the smell fortunately wont be a problem as its at the back of the garden and we try to not let the poo hang around for 2 long.