Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
adamsb79
New Member!
Male 

10-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Morning

We couldnt get her in in time so we will have to see how she is over the weekend
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi Adam bitches frequently urinate more when they are in season. They secrete hormone in their urine which I guess is natures way of helping to leave messages for dogs to say that they are ready to reproduce, so increased urination no doubt helps with this process . Also the bitches reproductive organs swell at this time which could put pressure on the bladder.

Make sure your bitch has plenty of opportunity to go outside to relieve herself. She is still very much a puppy and house training may not be very well established. I would take her out at frequent intervals and at times when she is more likely to want to go out (after sleep/play/meals/excitement and every couple of hours) to to place where she usually goes to relieve herself and give her lots of praise when she goes.

Make sure you throughly clean the soiled areas with a good non ammonia carpet cleaner or biological washing powder to make sure all traces of the scent of urine are removed to prevent your dog from using the same areas again.

If the soiling continues try to get a sample to take to the vet so he can check for a urinary tract infection.
adamsb79
New Member!
Male 

11-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Hi

Thanks very much for your help,it seems the general feeling is that it could be to do with her being in season so in the meantime we will just have to see how she goes.

i will probably get her checked by the vet just incase of an infection though

Also do you have any idea how to get a urine sample from a dog?

thanks again
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi,

Just noticed this thread, she may well have an infection or a wee chill or indeed if she's a rescue - may not be fully house trained as she is still quite young. At least the good thing is; JRT widdle's are at least quite small lol

Ensure plenty plenty outside opportunities to pee outside is a good answer, if/when you are at home, take her outside every hour or so if you can - they're very smart little dogs. I've had a few and never had any probs house training - they can be prone to chills though as they do seem to feel the cold!
adamsb79
New Member!
Male 

17-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Hi

Thanks for that

i have noticed that she gets cold very easily

Thankfully the peeing seems to have stopped for the moment (fingers crossed)
Tamaray
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Does sound like it could be a urine infection. If you've ruled that out then it could just be stress or territory marking (if she's a dominant bitch). It can take a few weeks for anxiety/stress of moving home to show itself. Keep taking her out and give loads of praise when she goes outside and when if you catch her don't scold her just pick her up put her outside the moment she goes outside make a big song and dance. Keep doing that and in time should be sorted. At 7 months she is still young and mistakes happen. Does she have a crate?
adamsb79
New Member!
Male 

17-04-2009, 01:08 PM
HI

We have just ordered a crate online so it should be with us shortly

any advice on crates would be great
Tamaray
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2009, 03:00 PM
As you have a rescue it might just be back to basics. I put my pups in crates as soon as I bring them home at 8 weeks, at 7 months the ideal size crate is one that is not too big for them so they don't end up keep doing there business in there. Put a nice comfy bed in there, some soft toys (mine used to defluff mine but your pup might not be a bad chewer!) and something to chew, or keep busy with...I find stuffed kongs are brill especially frozen ones for when they are teething. Regular toilet trips are key to this one so they don't soil inside. As soon as your pup has had food, drink or a play, 10-20 mins after I'd do a toilet trip into the garden. You will get to know how long after with your dog, my recent one used to want to go 5 mins after any meals or play. It's hard work in the beginning but it pays off. When leaving the dog in the crate overnight, obviously outside before bed time. All dogs will take different amounts of time to stop it, but I find every puppy (unless particularly anxious) will just suddenly stop soiling the home as it clicks into place. My first pup took 7 months to properly toilet train because I wasn't on the case, my recent pup took 1 week!!!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by adamsb79 View Post
Hi

Thanks very much for your help,it seems the general feeling is that it could be to do with her being in season so in the meantime we will just have to see how she goes.

i will probably get her checked by the vet just incase of an infection though

Also do you have any idea how to get a urine sample from a dog?

thanks again

If you ever need to get a urine sample from your dog . Lay out something shallow like a saucer the night before . Take her out first thing on the lead , when she starts to pass urine slip the saucer in and catch some of the urine in the saucer . You can transfer the urine from the saucer to a clean bottle later and take it with you when you go to the vet .
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by adamsb79 View Post
HI

We have just ordered a crate online so it should be with us shortly

any advice on crates would be great
Hi Adam here is an article on getting a dog used to a crate written by one of our members, I think you may find it useful.
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=15552
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >